Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ?? (Read 204400 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Reply #90 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:44pm

@
henriette

You are very confident now and that is great to hear. There was a lot to learn.

When you can do these "backups in your sleep" let me know if you are interested in an automatic method. You can actually do an automatic backup at 3 am while you are asleep. At 3 am the computer would restart into IFL, run the backup and either restart or shutdown. Your choice. A log would be written to your HD so you could confirm everything happened correctly. No CD is needed. This would be ideal for a 4 hour entire drive image.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #91 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:27am

@
Brian

I just created a new XP (full) backup image.
"Img_B_Full_XP_..... date" (folder on external drive).

time = 8 minutes
file size on ext. drive (target) = 4,4 GB.
BUT:
I forgot to tick the option
"Speed up Changes Only Backup", so I have no Hash file  Roll Eyes

Shall I delete the backup and create it again ? > easily done.
Or leave as is ?
Will the backup be ok without hash file ?

note: In my *.doc
the option is even marked!!!
  Grin
Found several steps that need to be altered there, as the *.doc is still in its 1st edition. *Subject to modifications* Wink

Brian
 wrote Reply #90 - Yesterday at 22:44:27

Quote:
When you can do these "backups in your sleep" let me know if you are interested in an automatic method. You can actually do an automatic backup at 3 am while you are asleep. At 3 am the computer would restart into IFL, run the backup and either restart or shutdown. Your choice. A log would be written to your HD so you could confirm everything happened correctly. No CD is needed. This would be ideal for a 4 hour entire drive image.

I'd say we'd better wait for some time till I've tried all "variations" of backups on my *.doc list.

That will take some time! I also have to make alterations [cut shorter, more precisely/customized] in the *.doc + print etc.

Please remind me in 2-3 months, maybe  Smiley

henriette   Kiss

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #92 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:41am

@
Brian

I just noticed:

Quote:
automatic backup at 3 am while you are asleep. At 3 am the computer would restart into IFL, run the backup and either restart or shutdown

That won't be 'possible' because I'm living in a small room, where I sleep, eat, work, &&&!

I can't sleep - or will wake up - when the computer is ON.  Roll Eyes

henriette 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #93 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:50am

henriette wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:27am:
Shall I delete the backup and create it again ? > easily done.
Or leave as is ?
Will the backup be ok without hash file ?

You can create a hash file now with a batch file but the simpler solution for you is to delete the backup image and do it again.

The backup is OK without a hash file. It is just the future differential images will take longer to create.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #94 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:28am

@
Brian

Brian
wrote Reply #93 - Today at 14:50:49

Quote:
You can create a hash file now with a batch file but the simpler solution for you is to delete the backup image and do it again.

The backup is OK without a hash file. It is just the future differential images will take longer to create.

AH! I actually °forgot° what the Hash file was for. Just knew I needed it. Thanks for reminding > will add it to the *.doc  Smiley

So I'm going to delete the last backup and create a new one.

henriette *learning never ends* 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #95 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:47pm

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:28am:
So I'm going to delete the last backup and create a new one.

That is the easiest method.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #96 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 5:49pm

I know you don't want to do this but to create a hash file without creating another backup you could do something like this from Terminal...

/tbu/imagel --hash --f:l1@0x1:"/your_folder/your_image.tbi"

Or you could mount the backup drive using the mnt icon. Then...

/tbu/imagel --hash --f:"/tbu/mnt1/your_folder/your_image.tbi"

I think the second one is easier as you don't need to confirm if l1@0x1 is correct.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #97 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:34pm

@
Brian

Quote:
/tbu/imagel --hash --f:l1@0x1:"/your_folder/your_image.tbi"

Oh...now you're just showing off  Smiley !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #98 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:50pm

@
NightOwl

I wish I was able to show off. It is pretty much a copy/paste from the user-guide.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #99 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:55pm

@
henriette

Brianwrote Reply #93 - Today at 14:50:49
Quote:

Not sure if you know, but you may be working too hard!  You can have the forum software do this quoting for you automatically without having to type in the details manually like the *Reply #93 - Today at 14:50:49*.

See the row of buttons in the upper right hand corner of each post?  The first one says *Mark & Quote*.  If you highlight what you want to quote in a specific post, and then click the *Mark & Quote* button, the forum software will reference the author and show a direct link to the quoted information so if anyone wants to see where it came from, they can click on the link.  The forum software will put that in the reply box at the bottom of the page.

You can also reference posts in other threads as well.  I will often open a second instance of the forum, go to a different thread that has information I want to reference in the other thread that's open in my first instance of the forum.  I will highlight the information, use the *Mark & Quote* button which puts the information in the reply box at the bottom of the page in that second instance of the forum.  I then highlight that information in the reply box, and either *copy* or *cut* it, and then return to the first forum instance, and then *paste* that *Marked and Quoted* reference to the first thread.  Now, if someone clicks on that link, they will be taken to that other thread if they want to read more.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #100 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:58pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:50pm:
I wish I was able to show off. It is pretty much a copy/paste from the user-guide.

Shhh...don't tell people--that's how I usually *show off*  Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #101 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 6:06am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:47pm:
That is the easiest method.

So it was :=)

NightOwl wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:58pm:
@Brian

Brian wrote on Today at 06:50:46:

Shhh...don't tell people--that's how I usually *show off* !

IF it were *only* copy/paste from user-guides - even in my native language - I wouldn't have come to even create the IFL-CD!
You guys are excellent in teaching tech stuff! Be it NightOwl who taught me [for years!] how to get *command* over Ghost ,,, or Brian who's providing support & guidance for IFL. ... Both of you with an extraordinary patience  Smiley

@
Brian

Is there any limitation of characters regarding  the file name length IN IFL ?

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:55pm:
@
henriette

Brianwrote Reply #93 - Today at 14:50:49
Quote:

Not sure if you know, but you may be working too hard!  You can have the forum software do this quoting for you automatically without having to type in the details manually like the *Reply #93 - Today at 14:50:49*.

See the row of buttons in the upper right hand corner of each post?  The first one says *Mark & Quote*.  If you highlight what you want to quote in a specific post, and then click the *Mark & Quote* button, the forum software will reference the author and show a direct link to the quoted information so if anyone wants to see where it came from, they can click on the link.  The forum software will put that in the reply box at the bottom of the page.

You can also reference posts in other threads as well.  I will often open a second instance of the forum, go to a different thread that has information I want to reference in the other thread that's open in my first instance of the forum.  I will highlight the information, use the *Mark & Quote* button which puts the information in the reply box at the bottom of the page in that second instance of the forum.  I then highlight that information in the reply box, and either *copy* or *cut* it, and then return to the first forum instance, and then *paste* that *Marked and Quoted* reference to the first thread.  Now, if someone clicks on that link, they will be taken to that other thread if they want to read more.

Now, that was absolutely new to me  Grin
Hope I got it right now > another lesson learned!

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #102 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:51am

@
henriette

I can't speak for others, but on my computer--using the *dark blue* color for the font is impossible for me to read.  I have to *highlight* the text so the background is changed to light blue and the letter are then a white color.

I would recommend using the *default* white color on the *grey* background for better readability.  (Though, you may not be using the *default* forum colors--in your *Control Panel*, you can choose other options--if you have done this, then you may not see that the colors are hard to see in the *default* color scheme.  But, my guess is that using the *default* color in whichever forum scheme you are using will allow for better readability.)

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #103 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 11:59am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:51am:
on my computer--using the *dark blue* color for the font is impossible for me to read.

Modified my post. Better now ?

henriette

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #104 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 3:51pm

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Aug 17th, 2012 at 6:06am:
Is there any limitation of characters regardingthe file name length IN IFL ?

As a test I just created an image with 100 characters in the filename.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print