Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ?? (Read 204518 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Reply #135 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 6:39am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 5:14am:
And to which partition will the remaining space be *reallocated*

You have two partitions smaller than 15 GB. These will not be resized. The other three will be resized smaller but you will have to do the restore to see how it works. There will not be "remaining space" as the whole 360 GB will be used. If you don't like the result you can restore the 5 partitions individually and choose your own restored partition size. Obviously the 5 partitions must not exceed 360 GB (your figure).

How can I even try a restore without the basic knowledge!

It's time to start experimenting. There is no danger as your primary HD won't be in the computer. I'd start with an Entire drive restore. Let us know what happens.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #136 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 4:26am

@
henriette

Is the experiment going well? Any news for us?

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #137 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:02am

@
Brian
Please see attachment. What's missing in there ?

In order to have an *orientation* - and to feel save in what I'm doing - I'd be more than thankful if you would add the necessary steps to the following instruction:

To restore an Entire Drive image stored on a USB external HD... Using IFL (gui)

Restore
Normal
File (Direct)
Linux
select your USB HD. It will be last in the list
select the partition
select the folder containing the image
select the image
tick in Entire Drive
Linux
ATA.... (sda) (Be careful here that you are restoring the image to the correct HD)
Yes to the Warning (There won't be a warning if the target HD is empty)
leave the tick in Log Results to File
put a tick in Validate
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
First Track Sectors AUTO
Start

Brian wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 6:39am:
You have two partitions smaller than 15 GB. These will not be resized. The other three will be resized smaller but you will have to do the restore to see how it works. There will not be "remaining space" as the whole 360 GB will be used. If you don't like the result you can restore the 5 partitions individually and choose your own restored partition size. Obviously the 5 partitions must not exceed 360 GB (your figure).

The above options have to be included!

Brian wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 6:39am:
It's time to start experimenting. There is no danger as your primary HD won't be in the computer. I'd start with an Entire drive restore. Let us know what happens.

I will do. Haven't found the 400GB HD, yet! Got to dig in the basement ... x possibilities ... and x hours/days of digging  Roll Eyes

henriette   

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #138 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 4:29pm

@
henriette

Sure. An Entire drive restore to a new HD that's a different size from the old HD.....

Restore
Normal
File (Direct)
Linux
select your USB HD. It will be last in the list
select the partition
select the folder containing the image
select the image
tick in Entire Drive
Linux
ATA.... (sda) (Be careful here that you are restoring the image to the correct HD)
Yes to the Warning (There won't be a warning if the target HD is empty)
leave the tick in Log Results to File
put a tick in Scale to Fit
put a tick in Align to Target
put a tick in Validate
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
First Track Sectors AUTO
Start

The attachment looks fine but it reminded me of something. The sector spread in your large partition can be determined by.....

When you are next in IFL,
click Backup
Full Backup
Linux
sda
select the Music partition and click Information (bottom of window)
What are the top 3 numbers?
MiB Used
MiB Free
MiB to Restore

Regarding safety. When you do the restore you will only have the 400 GB HD in your computer. You could make a mistake in EVERY step and it wouldn't matter. It can be fixed. It's only your test HD.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #139 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:41am

@
henriette

NightOwl wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:02am:
You can spend an awful lot of time twirling things in your head about *what if*--but, you will never know until you get down and dirty by actually doing the deed!

How can I even try a restore without the basic knowledge!

I'm truly sorry for my lack in understanding ...

Nothing to be *sorry* about!

I truly did not mean to disparage you--or suggest that you should not continue to ask questions.

For me, it's standard practice whenever I setup a new system to include a spare HDD in my purchasing.  And before I do anything, I create a backup of the current main HDD in use, using Ghost or whatever other imaging program that I intend to use on that system.

I then replace that HDD with the spare and determine if I am able to restore that initial image to the spare HDD.  That is the only way of ever knowing (for sure) if there are going to be any software/hardware incompatibilities, error messages, or selection of options that I don't understand or behave in a manner I did not expect.

I test whole drive restores and partition restores to prove that it all works--or find anything that does not. 

We have had a fair number of forum posters who have been using an imaging program--sometimes for years--who never tested if they can actually rely on their backups--and then find when the sh*t hits the fan that they can not successfully restore their backup--and in panic, they are posting here.

A very common mistake is where folks don't take the extra time to run a validation of an image to determine if the imaging software confirms that it thinks the image file is valid and useable for a restore.

But, actually restoring an image to a spare HDD, in my opinion, is a must!  You just don't know if it will work unless you have tried it!

And, again it's my opinion, you can never really *learn* if you understand the software and all its settings until you have demonstrated that you can successfully do the deed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #140 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:06pm

Hiya dear friends  Smiley

Sorry for the delay! Had big trouble with my email client & such. My damned ISP *supported* xxxxxx users with faked (!) access data and ports. Trying to have us use THEIR software (email client) !!! But after some hrs I did it - my way  Wink

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
The attachment looks fine but it reminded me of something. The sector spread in your large partition can be determined by.....
When you are next in IFL,
click Backup
Full Backup
Linux
sda
select the Music partition and click Information (bottom of window)
What are the top 3 numbers?
MiB Used
MiB Free
MiB to Restore

MiB Used  = 132347
MiB Free = 287783
MiB to Restore = 210151   
The above is partition D:\[music].

Overview all partitions:

C:\[XP]
MiB Used  = 9889
MiB Free  = 5117
MiB to Restore  = 10627

E:\[emails]
MiB Used  = 1140
MiB Free  = 6854
MiB to Restore  = 4032

F:\[Exes++]
MiB Used  = 6509
MiB Free  = 9493
MiB to Restore  = 8075

G:\[videos]
MiB Used  = 9371
MiB Free  = 8436
MiB to Restore  = 9892

Brian wrote on Jul 11th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
It's only your test HD

That doesn't mean that I don't have to be careful.
I had 4 RMAs with WD HDDs <  defective on receipt.

Another big problem/question:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

> "The WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

Display Adapter
    SCSI Adapter
    IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
    Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
    RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
    Processor Type
    Processor Serial Number
    Hard Drive Device
    Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
    CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM"

Would the different VSN of the new HDD be a problem relating to the YES votes ?
I have an OEM version of Windows XP professional, not sure if another activation would be possible ...  Tongue

I also created a *Differential Entire Drive Image* > same folder, of course, as the *Entire Drive Image*.
Now: Could I use that one OR would I need an *Entire Drive Image* ONLY for restoring it to a new HDD ?

External drives:
Would it matter if I shut down the computer while the drive is plugged to the USB port ?
> can any data get lost ?
I'm asking, because I do that each time I'm using (e.g.) IFL. I HAVE to power my PC down, to then start it new.

NightOwl wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:41am:
I truly did not mean to disparage you--or suggest that you should not continue to ask questions.

I know you didn't   Wink
Replacing a HDD is a days' job! My computer case is "ancient" > I have to unscrew/disconnect/remove almost every other hardware - incl. the Power Supply - to even remove the old HDD. Then replace it by a new one.
I do, however, totally agree with you: learning by doing was and is the best one can do!

NightOwl wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:41am:
And, again it's my opinion, you can never really *learn* if you understand the software and all its settings until you have demonstrated that you can successfully do the deed.

--> I could handle Ghost2003 quite well. The fact that Ghost won't accept/show any external drives made me take IFL.

IFL, however, works differently. There's no *partition to partition* or *whole drive* "term" as such - in its Gui.
For me there are a lot more steps to do. Won't help me if I just sitttt in front of the GUI not knowing what to tick or do, understand ?

This post might give you an idea of what haunts me at nights ... and days Grin

Thank you for being so kind & helpful, folks!
henriette  Kiss

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #141 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:51pm

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:06pm:
MiB Used= 132347
MiB Free = 287783
MiB to Restore = 210151
The above is partition D:\[music].

Good news. The smallest partition that Music can be restored into is 210151 MiB which is fine for your 400 GB HD. The restored size will not be that figure. It will be around 80% of (287783+132347).

Quote:
> "The WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

Don't worry about that with a single HD change. Nothing will happen to your Activation.

Quote:
also created a *Differential Entire Drive Image* > same folder, of course, as the *Entire Drive Image*.
Now: Could I use that one OR would I need an *Entire Drive Image* ONLY for restoring it to a new HDD ?

You could use either but for this test, use the full Entire Drive Image.

Quote:
xternal drives:
Would it matter if I shut down the computer while the drive is plugged to the USB port ?
> can any data get lost ?
I'm asking, because I do that each time I'm using (e.g.) IFL. I HAVE to power my PC down, to then start it new.

That's OK. Do you right click the IFL desktop and choose Power Down?

Quote:
I have to unscrew/disconnect/remove almost every other hardware - incl. the Power Supply - to even remove the old HDD

That's terrible. Can you simply unplug the old HD while it is still screwed in and plug both cables into the 400 GB HD while it is hanging free in the computer? That's what I do with difficult hardware.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #142 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:58am

H"eye" > lol, right eye is *out of order* ... hope drops will kick in soon  Wink

Brian wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:51pm:
Good news. The smallest partition that Music can be restored into is 210151 MiB which is fine for your 400 GB HD. The restored size will not be that figure. It will be around 80% of (287783+132347).

Did you tell me already when exactly (and where!) to select the *resizing* of each partition ?
Plus what sizeS should I type in ?

The point is: those 360GB, estimated by Seagate phone support, isn't reliable - but probable.
However, the actual size might be somewhat bigger.
To be on the safe side I'd take 360GB as *actual size*.

Question: How will IFL handle the sizes ... when I type in the size for each partition, what sizes should I type ?
C:\ =, D:\ = , E:\ = , F:\ = , G:\ = (in Mib) - in order to having used up the full capacity of the HDD with NO remaining space!  ... given that C:\ = 15GB (maybe a few GB more), and G:\ same size as now
Undecided Huh 

Don't worry about that with a single HD change. Nothing will happen to your Activation.

I've changed some hardware + HDD already.
That's why I asked for the °remaining° YES votes  Roll Eyes

for this test, use the full Entire Drive Image.

You mean: A seperate NEW *Entire Drive Image* - I suppose ?
Wouldn't be a problem  Smiley

External drive(s):
Do you right click the IFL desktop and choose Power Down?

Sometimes yes - sometimes reboot only.
> After an *Entire Drive Image* I choose Power Down.

Computer case:
That's terrible. Can you simply unplug the old HD while it is still screwed in and plug both cables into the 400 GB HD while it is hanging free in the computer? That's what I do with difficult hardware.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about.
IF the IDE cable is long enough. Anyway, I have to unplug more than the HDD to get that done.

Do you think the HDD needs cooling ... I'd place it beside the PC. "hanging free IN the computer" isn't possible (lack of space, although a Big Tower).

I have a doc's appointment tomorrow. Also have to wait till my eye is ok. Plus I'd need painkillers to be able to bend down (old bones & such).

btw: I forgot to mention that I FINALLY found the 400GB HDD!
Was in the basement - behind other computer stuff.

henriette <presently one-eyed> 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #143 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:37am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:58am:
Did you tell me already when exactly (and where!) to select the *resizing* of each partition ?
Plus what sizeS should I type in ?

Resize is on the same screen as Options. If you do a multiple individual partition restore, you only have to resize Music. Make it 120 GB smaller. But we suggest you restore an Entire drive image as you don't have to select any resizing. It's done automatically.

Question: How will IFL handle the sizes ... when I type in the size for each partition, what sizes should I type ?

See above.

You mean: A seperate NEW *Entire Drive Image* - I suppose ?

No, use a recent one.

Do you think the HDD needs cooling ... 

No, I don't bother as it won't overheat. I leave the side off the computer if the hanging HD prevents the side from closing.

Quote:
The point is: those 360GB, estimated by Seagate phone support, isn't reliable - but probable.
However, the actual size might be somewhat bigger.
To be on the safe side I'd take 360GB as *actual size*.

400/1.024^3= 372.5
Windows will see that HD as 372.5 GiB.

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/binary_v_decimal_measurement.htm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #144 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:32am

@
Brian

Can you simply unplug the old HD while it is still screwed in and plug both cables into the 400 GB HD while it is hanging free in the computer? That's what I do with difficult hardware.

I've done that frequently, too.  If there's room, I put a couple scrap pieces of demensional lumber (2 x 4", or 4 x 4" about 6-8 inches long)--stack one on another to get the HDD to *proper* height so it's flat next to the open case.  Just disconnect the power plug and the communication cable from the back of the installed HDD and plug those into the test HDD.

If it's *hanging* from the power and communication cables, make sure the underside is not touching anything conductive--a short to ground could possibly fry the electonics--that's the nice thing about putting it on a piece of wood--no conductive ground to worry about.

@
henriette

Do you think the HDD needs cooling ... 

There will be no overheating problem if the case cover is off--all the heat inside the computer will dissapate up and out--will not be *held inside*.  And, if the HDD is next to the case, hanging on the outside in some manner, there will be no heat build up at all--think external USB HDD--I have never had one overheat yet--some have a small ventilation fan--but most do not.

I'd place it beside the PC. "hanging free IN the computer" isn't possible 

I suspect you took Brian too literally.  When testing in this matter, I doubt he ever puts the cover back on until he's done, and the test HDD has been disconnected and put away.  I'll also bet that most of the time, he too has limited room to stuff the test HDD *inside* the case--I'd expect it to be to the outside of all the wires and add-on cards and mounting gages for the HDDs, optical drives, etc.--just close enough so the necessary cables can be connected to the hanging test HDD.

I've changed some hardware + HDD already.
That's why I asked for the °remaining° YES votes

Well, only you know what changes you have made!  You will have to add them up:

Windows Product Activation (WPA)

Quote:
What hardware gets checked?

The WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
Processor Type
Processor Serial Number
Hard Drive Device
Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Quote:
‘Is the same device still around, or has there never been one?’ Seven Yes votes means all is well — and a NIC, present originally and not changed, counts for three yes votes! Minor cards, like sound cards, don’t come into the mix at all. If you keep the motherboard, with the same amount of RAM and processor, and an always present cheap NIC (available for $10 or less), you can change everything else as much as you like.

Quote:
This is made easier if Windows XP Service Pack 1 has been installed: The system will continue to boot normally for three days, during which time you will be able to contact the activation center via the net. If the extra changes have been removed, or if 120 days have passed since the original activation, you will be able to use the automatic process once more

If you have not activated within the last 120 days, then the automatic re-activation will occur without having to call the re-activation center.  Also note above, it says if you undo the *extra changes* within the three day leeway period, then re-activation will not be triggered--so as soon as you disconnect the test HDD and reconnect your current internal production HDD, you return the *Yes* vote to the calculation and the re-activation process is canceled--assuming that one change did trigger a re-activation event.

henriette wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:06pm:
I have an OEM version of Windows XP professional, not sure if another activation would be possible ... 

Do you have the WinXP product code from your original purchase?  If, YES, then there should be no problem activating WinXP as many times as need be--even if you do have to call the activation center.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #145 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 8:37am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:37am:
we suggest you restore an Entire drive image as you don't have to select any resizing. It's done automatically.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy! Now, isn't that wonderful ...  Kiss

Brian wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:37am:
400/1.024^3= 372.5
Windows will see that HD as 372.5 GiB.

Hehe, binary arithmetic  Smiley

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:32am:
There will be no overheating problem if the case cover is off

I suspect you took Brian too literally.When testing in this matter, I doubt he ever puts the cover back on until he's done, and the test HDD has been disconnected and put away... 

Why certainly!  I'll leave the case cover off.  Grin

What hardware gets checked?

The WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter

Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address !
>>> 3 votes!  NIC was the last hardware that I had to replace.
Before (!) replacing it on 10 Dec 2012 I HAD to re-activate ... (the NIC was *dead* although its LED was still working. Couldn't get online for re-activating. That fact had me think of a broken NIC or router).

Processor Type
Processor Serial Number

Hard Drive Device
>>> both HDDs replaced - Nov 2011 > doesn't count.

Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN) !
>>> how come it's listed here ? - If 1 vote per HDD, there can't be additional votes for the S/N! No S/N exists twice! ... eh ?????

CD-RW / DVD-ROM
>>> (both drives replaced - July 2010 + July 2011 > doesn't count.).

["doesn't count" above because of date!].

For the time being I should actually be at 7 yes votes ... IMHO.

[We had a discussion about re-activating my O/S on post #141 (page 8) on this thread.].

If you have not activated within the last 120 days, then the automatic re-activation will occur without having to call the re-activation center

Smiley

Also note above, it says if you undo the *extra changes* within the three day leeway period, then re-activation will not be triggered--so as soon as you disconnect the test HDD and reconnect your current internal production HDD, you return the *Yes* vote to the calculation and the re-activation process is canceled--assuming that one change did trigger a re-activation event.

AH!
I've been wondering ... (another *what if afterGrin), when doing the following - my actual *procedures planned*:

The EIDE cable is too short!
So I'll have to disconnect both HDDs AND both optical drives. Then connect new HD to EIDE cable of my CD burner (is on top).
Then place new HD beside the PC, putting it on some non-conducting material + e.g. books underneath for proper height).
The above would mean that I disconnected 2HDs + 2 optical drives = 4 votes (according to NightOwl's post above - the votes will be be returned into YES votes ---->
After the restoring & checking I'd re-connect the *old* hardware again.  right ?  Cool

Thank you SO much, guys!

henriette  Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #146 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:58am

@
henriette

Quote:
The EIDE cable is too short!

Buy a longer cable  Wink --they're cheap--a repair shop might even give you one if you asked--they probably throw out many every year!

Quote:
After the restoring & checking I'd re-connect the *old* hardware again.  right ?

Correct.  If you disconnect your network cable during your testing, then Windows will never be able to announce to the MS reactivation center that you have made any changes.  Once all the old stuff is reconnected, then there will be no changes noted and you can reconnect the network cable.

Quote:
Before (!) replacing it on 10 Dec 2012 I HAD to re-activate ... (the NIC was *dead* although its LED was still working. Couldn't get online for re-activating.

Your NIC may not have been working correctly for access to the internet, but because the LED was still working, it may have still been functional enough for the system to *see* that it was present, and the 3 Yes votes were still being registered as present.  If you read that website link above carefully, the author suggests leaving an old NIC on the system even if you install a new one just to maintain the necessary number of Yes votes.  You just leave it there, but connect the new NIC to the internet--you can have additional NIC's without upsetting the Yes vote calculation.  But, I guess you said the bad NIC is what triggered the reactivation--so probably that would not work in your case.

If the old NIC was *fried* and it was no longer sending out to the system it's presence on the system, then of course, you would have lost the Yes votes.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #147 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:06pm

@
NightOwl

Tongue It just dawned on me:

1. I can't possibly disconnect the CD optical drive because I NEED it for IFL!!

2. I can't possibly use IFL on a usb-stick because I can ONLY use ONE usb port at a time!

-> USB 2.0 = 0.5mA/port  Angry

(Usually my sound system is connected to 1 usb port. I have to disconnect it whenever I use e.g. an external HDD.).

Tried a 2.5" external HDD some time ago using TWO usb ports for it - no way > needs more than 1A!

3. For a possible DFT (new HDD after restore) I also needed the CD optical drive.

NightOwl wrote on Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:58am:
Buy a longer cable 

Well, I will do a search for one.
It's got to be a 3.5" EIDE 80 wire/40 pin ribbon cable for my board!!!!!
Found only extension cable 80 wire for soldering NOT recommended for extension (!!) ... (just now). Is there any EIDE 3.5" extension cable > male/female - 80 wire/40 pin ribbon cable available --- to your knowledge ?

Any idea to my post ???

henriette <obviously going to become another NightOwl - 10 p.m.!>  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #148 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 1:10am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:06pm:
I can't possibly use IFL on a usb-stick because I can ONLY use ONE usb port at a time!

Yes, you can use IFL on a UFD. When IFL has loaded you can remove the IFL UFD as IFL is running in RAM and no longer requires the flash drive. Then you can plug in your external HD to two USB ports.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #149 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 2:01am

@
henriette

1. I can't possibly disconnect the CD optical drive because I NEED it for IFL!!

I forget--does your system only have a single PATA controller so you can only have a single EIDE com cable with two connectors for only two devices?

Did you identify your motherboard make and model number previously--and did we come up with a link to the manufacturer website for the board so we could look at the specifications?  If we did and you remember that thread on the forum here where we discussed that, post a link so I can review it again. 

Otherwise, what is the make and model of your motherbaord?

Most older systems that use PATA controllers, by default, came with two controllers and that allowed for up to 4 IDE devices on a single system.

Is there any EIDE 3.5" extension cable > male/female - 80 wire/40 pin ribbon cable available --- to your knowledge ?

Don't know that you want an *extension* cable--just a longer std cable:  Google Search for *EIDE 80 wire/40 pin ribbon cable*

Here's one example:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=25527...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print