ntldr is missing (Read 46079 times)
MikeyStrikey
N00b

I Love Radified!

Australia

Re: ntldr is missing
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:55am

Brian wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:10pm:
Does your Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop have MediaDirect? If it does then there are things to do if you upgrade to a drive larger than 30 GB. 

I have no idea aboiut MediaDirect, so I guess I dont have it, but I did ring Dell and they said I could have a maximum of 100gb HDD. I suppose that means SSD as well.

NightOwl wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:52am:
Well, for the record, this *disk number changed* may be a red herring!

Quite possible ... I agree.

Things are not always what they seem

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 5:16am

Mike,

MikeyStrikey wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:55am:
have no idea aboiut MediaDirect,

Is there a round button above the keys with a Home sign or MediaDirect wording? I thought all 1150 had MediaDirect. Can you look in Disk Management. Under Disk 0, Basic, how large is the HD? In GB?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:45am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:12am:
And you can only have 2 "Disks" if you have two HDs.

Very good point!  I missed that when you asked where MikeyStrikey had seen that listing.

Maybe he has confused the *terminology*--disk 0, 1, 2 etc. may have been partition 0, 1, 2, etc.

@
MikeyStrikey

What is (or perhaps *was*--when you had the problem) the partition layout of your HDD on your laptop?  Any hidden utility or factory restore partitions present from the manufacturer?

If you did a *whole drive* Ghost image backup--they would all be listed when you open the image in Ghost Explorer.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:06pm

Mike,

MikeyStrikey wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:55am:
but I did ring Dell and they said I could have a maximum of 100gb HDD.

Your laptop has a BIOS 137 GB HD limitation. You can use a larger HD but the BIOS will only see 137 GB so the OS partition should not be larger than 137 GB (128 GiB). Windows XP SP1 and above will see the full size of the HD.

Edit.... Is your HD IDE? SSD are SATA.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:31pm

Brian wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:12am:
And you can only have 2 "Disks" if you have two HDs.Is it possible you had the external HD connected when you saw the "ntldr is missing" message? Is so the BIOS tried to boot the external HD and found no ntldr.

True Brian... but shouldn't it name the first disk "0"? I have some screen shots I can upload for your advice on...hope you dont mind.

And Brian... I suppose it is possible I saw the 2 drives when I try to restore image from my EHDD. I am almost sure it was when I first had the problems, and that was when I was trying to restore from my partition. I only have one internal HDD. The missing ntldr was definately when no drive was attached.

Please review the screen shots and tell me what you think. These shots are current.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease being honest

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:29pm

Mike,

Sure, go ahead and upload the screenshots.

strikey_mate wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:31pm:
but shouldn't it name the first disk "0"

Not necessarily. Ghost doesn't use the Disk 0 terminology. It starts at Drive 1.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:35pm

Here they are... I thought I uploaded them before, but they not show. BTW... looks like I have 2 accounts here... Strikeymate and mikeystrikey....I will try and delete one.

DellDisk0.jpg (109 KB | 719 )
DellDisk0.jpg
GhostDisk1.jpg (57 KB | 725 )
GhostDisk1.jpg

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease being honest

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:42pm

Mike,

That's OK. Different terminology in two different apps.

Your HD size is 27.95 GiB which is the expected size for a 30 GB HD so it is unlikely you have a Host Protected Area associated with MediaDirect.

By the way, can you see that button I mentioned. Is your HD IDE (PATA)? If it is a SSD is out.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #23 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:50pm

Brian wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:06pm:
Edit.... Is your HD IDE? SSD are SATA

IDE

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #24 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:52pm

Brian wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:42pm:
By the way, can you see that button I mentioned. Is your HD IDE (PATA)? If it is a SSD is out

Cant I use a IDE SSD?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:02pm

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635283

Looks like you could be wasting your money. IDE is slow compared with SATA.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #26 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:07am

Brian...There are the only 2 buttons on my dell. The big one is the start button, and the small one has an "i"on it and doesn't seem to do anything.

Dellshots_003.JPG (109 KB | 689 )
Dellshots_003.JPG

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:18am

Mike,

Thanks. You are free of the poisonous MediaDirect. This page describes the problems users face when upgrading to a larger HD...

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.shtml

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #28 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:51am

Much appreciated Brian. I checked it out and am sure it will prove to be invaluable for me. I do have another laptop (Gigabyte 500hdd - 4gig ram)  that I use most of the time with much better specs than the old Dell...but that 1150 is so rock solid and never give any trouble now for 8 years. The only trouble I ever had was with my first Ghost image where it froze on the blue screen when 99% finished lol...since thens its been great (except for this lattest drama). I use ghost 2003 for the Dell and Ghost 15 for the Gig.

Thanks...Mike

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:57am

Mike,

We have a Dell 8600 laptop which my wife uses occasionally. It's just coming up to 8 years old and it has never missed a beat. The HD is 60 GB IDE and the computer performance is quite acceptable. We'll keep it until it dies.

Fortunately, the Dan Goodell page doesn't apply to you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print