Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backup eBooks - Restore Problems -- FBF files. ????? (Read 16433 times)
FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

Backup eBooks - Restore Problems -- FBF files. ?????
Aug 11th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Ghost 15 WinXP Pro up to date

I created a new backup of my files.  Defined new backup - Backup selected Files - Add new File type "mobi".  The backup took about 1/2 hour.  Ghost 15 created a number of  file folders named "fbfFiles_e2a" to "fbfFiles_e47"  In each folder are a number of files with names such as "1cd77f9c8de3f00.fbf"

When I attempted to restore the files, Ghost 15 WILL NOT recognize the series of files as a recovery point. .. Angry .  . I did a search on Ghost and also Google on how to restore the files with no help.  Google said I need "Save and Restore"

Help please

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Backup eBooks - Restore Problems -- FBF files. ?????
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:08pm

@
FromNashville

I don't use Files and Folders Backup. Does this help?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-Image-Backup-vs-File-...

IP Logged

FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:18pm

I understand what you are saying.

What I am trying to do is find "backup" all the eBooks that have an extension that is ends in .mobi that are located in a number of different folders on my data drive.  Then I was going to restore them to a single folder.  This way I would have all my ebooks (mobi) files in  one location not mixed with other version of ebooks.

This is the first time I have tried to use "files and folders"  my normal backup are as you suggested.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:51pm

Sorry. I've no idea how to do it in Ghost.

I guess you have tried searching for *.mobi in Windows. Didn't that work?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:40am

@
FromNashville

FromNashville wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:18pm:
What I am trying to do is find "backup" all the eBooks that have an extension that is ends in .mobi that are located in a number of different folders on my data drive.Then I was going to restore them to a single folder.

Interesting thought on how to use Ghost to find and collect files of a certain type!

Brian wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:51pm:
I guess you have tried searching for *.mobi in Windows. Didn't that work?

As Brian mentioned, a good *file manager* program is probably more efficient.  I'm not sure if Windows Explorer, or *Explore* from  *My Computer* lets you specify the specific extension you might want.

I currently use a free program, *Free Commander*.  It has a search function that lets you use a *wild card* (under *Settings*, check *Add wild cards to file name*), and then specifying the extension in the *File name* box (i.e. *.xxxx*).  It will then search whatever you have specified--a folder, a whole drive, or all the drives on your system.  You can also specify that it search sub-directories and .zip, .rar, and/or .cab files as well.

You get a listing of all the files found.  You can then *copy* and *paste* the files from the search list window to where ever you want--or *drag and drop* from the search window to one of the file manager windows with the destination directory of choice highlighted.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:35am

I use Total Commander as my file management system.  It allows me to search for any number of files, but it will NOT (?) allow me to copy more than one file at a time from the search panel.

I have found that Ghost will
NOT allow me to restore to a single director (folder).  ,  Angry

So I used Genie Backup to do the job and all work well.   Cheesy

I LOVE Ghost to backup my "C" drive because it takes a complete image of the drive.  Grin ..  However I use Genie to backup my data drive because it is not as affected by running defrag as Ghost is.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:58am

@
FromNashville

Quote:
I use Total Commander as my file management system

I've heard that's a good program--but, I have not tried it myself--I think that one is not *freeware* however--it that true?

Quote:
It allows me to search for any number of files, but it will NOT (?) allow me to copy more than one file at a time from the search panel

So, you can not use the *Shift* key to highlight a range of files in the search panel (you start with a highlighted file, push down *Shift* and then click on a file elsewhere in the list, and all files between the two selected files become highlighted)--or the *Ctrl* key to allow for clicking on files in order to select and highlight them individually while the *Ctrl* key is depressed (you can also *de-select* files by clicking them a second time)?

If not, the file manager program I mentioned above would allow for that.

Quote:
So I used Genie Backup to do the job and all work well.

So, that program allows you to search for all the files on your system with a given extension so you can find them, and then select and transfer them en-mass to a single back up directory--which I believe you were attempting to do--correct?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:26pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:58am:
@
FromNashville

Quote:
I use Total Commander as my file management system

I've heard that's a good program--but, I have not tried it myself--I think that one is not *freeware* however--it that true?
Not free ware

Quote:
It allows me to search for any number of files, but it will NOT (?) allow me to copy more than one file at a time from the search panel

So, you can not use the *Shift* key to highlight a range of files in the search panel (you start with a highlighted file, push down *Shift* and then click on a file elsewhere in the list, and all files between the two selected files become highlighted)--or the *Ctrl* key to allow for clicking on files in order to select and highlight them individually while the *Ctrl* key is depressed (you can also *de-select* files by clicking them a second time)?
The selection of more than one file as mentioned above does NOT work in the search panel of Total Commander.  It works in all other panels

If not, the file manager program I mentioned above would allow for that.

I think one reason I was having problems with windows search and move is that the number of files "overloaded" the clipboard or memory (?).  Windows search worked if I attempted to move only a few files, but not all at once.

Quote:
So I used Genie Backup to do the job and all work well.

So, that program allows you to search for all the files on your system with a given extension so you can find them, and then select and transfer them en-mass to a single back up directory--which I believe you were attempting to do--correct?

Yes Genie Backup worked like a charm.

Now the real problem.  -- I still can NOT get Ghost to work when I do file backup. Has anyone tried to do a backup of a few files and then restored them

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 9:47am

@
FromNashville

Quote:
Now the real problem.  -- I still can NOT get Ghost to work when I do file backup. Has anyone tried to do a backup of a few files and then restored them.

I don't use Ghost 15--so no personal experience here.  But, the only comments I've ever seen on the forum is that folks are having trouble making it work.

Brian....have you ever used the file/folder backup and restore and had it work?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 4:09pm

@
NightOwl

I used it once but as the backups weren't in native format I gave up. I didn't try to restore the backup as I wasn't interested in the method.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:50pm

@
Brian

Thanks Brian.

Quote:
the backups weren't in native format

You were surprised by this?!  We are talking Ghost here  Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print