Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Symantec Ghost 11.5.1.266 (Read 18833 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Symantec Ghost 11.5.1.266
Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:34am

@
ITTech32

Welcome to Radified Forums.

Quote:
I have tried the Nightows and many other guides and wondering if someone could help me because it has given me a headache!

Every *new* sojourner has to walk the path of learning new skills if they have not previously been on that path......

Quote:
A good friend sent me Ghost 11.5.1.266 in a .zip file

If it's a licensed, paid for copy--then indeed it's a *good friend*--otherwise he is putting you and himself at risk for *pirating* software.  A licensed, paid for copy should be the *full* Ghost suite--which would include the Ghost Boot Wizard that helps create bootable media for the Ghost program.

To help you, you are going to have to share a fair bit more than simply asking for help!!!  We haven't the slightest idea what hardware you are using, what went wrong trying the *Nightows* (sic) guide--or the *many other guides*, what skill level you have creating bootable media, etc.

So, begin with the basics: 

1.  You mention the version of Ghost, but it could be the DOS program (*ghost.exe*) that runs in the DOS OS environment, or it can be the *ghost32.exe* which is the Ghost version that runs under the various flavors of Windows--and will not work in DOS--so do you know which version you have, DOS or Windows--or both?

What other files are in that *.zip* file--or just the Ghost program?

2.  Hardware:  what media does your system support for booting?  Floppy disks, CD discs, USB flash drives, USB HDDs?

Are we talking about a desktop type computer or laptop?  How old?  Make and model if from a *brand named* company?

3.  *Wetware*--the human element--what is your previous experience with using software to boot a computer--ability to create boot media, ability to boot a computer to DOS instead of Windows, etc.?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:04pm

Hey, i got it working. It was my mistake i forgot to make it bootable under 95/98 lol.

Is there a way i can add my own 'Name' And 'Company' when Ghost boots up and your greeted with the 'About Symantec Ghost Screen that you have to click OK on? Or do i need GSS to do that?

I did try the NightOwls creating bootable CD. But when booting it stops on this line:

path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com

Then says read & write error or something like that, and it wont let me do anything else Sad

Is booting under windows 95/98 the best? What about if i need to add drivers ect? And is the Firewire driver added? Or do i need to add that.

Thanks again for your help and patience Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 1:57am

@
ITTech32

Hmmm.....your other two posts seem to have disappeared.

Quote:
Is there a way i can add my own 'Name' And 'Company' when Ghost boots up and your greeted with the 'About Symantec Ghost Screen that you have to click OK on?

Yes!  You need to contact Symantec and pay for a licensed copy of Ghost instead of using the pirated copy that your *good friend* has sent you!  His copy may be legit in his name (or company's)--but the copy provided by him to you is not!

Quote:
I did try the NightOwls creating bootable CD. But when booting it stops on this line:

mouse.com

Then says read & write error or something like that, and it wont let me do anything else

Most likely, you're not using the *mouse.com* program specifically referenced in the Guide.  Most newer DOS mouse programs are programed to create a *mouse.ini* file on the boot media the first time the mouse program is loaded during boot (and DOS boot media back in the day was floppy disks).  If you are booting using an optical disc with such a version of the mouse program, the process fails because the mouse program can not save the *mouse.ini* file to the optical disc.  If you add the appropriate *mouse.ini* file to the boot files before creating the bootable optical disc, then there is no attempt by the mouse program to write the *mouse.ini* file to disc, and the boot process will proceed without the errors.

The mouse program reference by the Guide is an older mouse driver and does not require that *mouse.ini* program.  So, the need to write to the boot media does not occur.

Quote:
Is booting under windows 95/98 the best?

Win98se's boot disc is the often used MS DOS version, but there are others that also work fine.  Ghost used to ship with PC-DOS and that works for most systems without compatibility issues.

Quote:
What about if i need to add drivers ect?

You'll have to add them to the boot files, and then re-create the optical boot disc.

Quote:
And is the Firewire driver added?

I believe that since about Corporate Ghost v8.2 onward, both USB and Firewire DOS drivers are built into the Ghost program--so those devices can be accessed from the DOS Ghost interface.  But, you will not be able to access those devices in plain DOS--only from the Ghost interface.

Quote:
Hey, i got it working. It was my mistake i forgot to make it bootable under 95/98

I'm curious.  In one of the missing posts, you made the statement that the Ghost program was *too big* and could not be injected into the boot sector for the optical disc--which is true of the Corporate Ghost v11.xx (this has been true since the v8.xx).

How did you work around that issue?  The standard boot sector on an optical disc is the size of a floppy drive, i.e. 1.44 MB.  But, with the appropriate optical disc authoring software, it can be larger--for instance 2.88 MB.

The other work around is to put the Ghost program on the data portion of the boot disc and not in the boot sector.  Load the appropriate DOS optical disc drive drivers so one can access the data portion of the optical disc, and then load the Ghost program from that data portion of the disc.

I could not verify for sure, but the laptop you mentioned in one of the missing posts appears to have a SATA controller for the HDD--and that probably means the optical drive is also a SATA optical drive that is hooked to that SATA controller as well.  But, the Win98 DOS optical drive drivers only work with PATA controllers--not SATA.  So, the available DOS optical drive drivers on the Win98se boot disc would not successfully load to access the data on the SATA optical drive.  You could still boot to DOS--the boot sector of a bootable optical disc is outside the data portion of the disc--but you can not access the optical drive's disc data.

So, how did you get it to work?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:11am

Hmmm.....your other two posts seem to have disappeared.

Yes, i deleted them because it was me rushing through to fast and missing out that important step.

Quote:
Is there a way i can add my own 'Name' And 'Company' when Ghost boots up and your greeted with the 'About Symantec Ghost Screen that you have to click OK on?

Yes!  You need to contact Symantec and pay for a licensed copy of Ghost instead of using the pirated copy that your *good friend* has sent you!  His copy may be legit in his name (or company's)--but the copy provided by him to you is not!

I fully understand where you are coming from. I do know about data protection and privacy, its just a personal copy. I would need to purchase the Ghost Solutions Suite to get a copy of the Boot disk?. I  did try to download the trial version but it wont run on any of my versions of Windows.

Quote:

mouse.com

Then says read & write error or something like that, and it wont let me do anything else

Most likely, you're not using the *mouse.com* program specifically referenced in the Guide.  Most newer DOS mouse programs are programed to create a *mouse.ini* file on the boot media the first time the mouse program is loaded during boot (and DOS boot media back in the day was floppy disks).  If you are booting using an optical disc with such a version of the mouse program, the process fails because the mouse program can not save the *mouse.ini* file to the optical disc.  If you add the appropriate *mouse.ini* file to the boot files before creating the bootable optical disc, then there is no attempt by the mouse program to write the *mouse.ini* file to disc, and the boot process will proceed without the errors.

The mouse program reference by the Guide is an older mouse driver and does not require that *mouse.ini* program.  So, the need to write to the boot media does not
occur.

Ahh i think that is where i was going wrong. I didnt use that version of Mouse.com. I will try it and let you know if it works.

Quote:
Is booting under windows 95/98 the best?

Win98se's boot disc is the often used MS DOS version, but there are others that also work fine.  Ghost used to ship with PC-DOS and that works for most systems without compatibility issues.

Quote:
What do you think works best?

Quote:
What about if i need to add drivers ect?

You'll have to add them to the boot files, and then re-create the optical boot disc.

Quote:
And is the Firewire driver added?

I believe that since about Corporate Ghost v8.2 onward, both USB and Firewire DOS drivers are built into the Ghost program--so those devices can be accessed from the DOS Ghost interface.  But, you will not be able to access those devices in plain DOS--only from the Ghost interface.

Quote:
Hey, i got it working. It was my mistake i forgot to make it bootable under 95/98

I'm curious.  In one of the missing posts, you made the statement that the Ghost program was *too big* and could not be injected into the boot sector for the optical disc--which is true of the Corporate Ghost v11.xx (this has been true since the v8.xx).

How did you work around that issue?  The standard boot sector on an optical disc is the size of a floppy drive, i.e. 1.44 MB.  But, with the appropriate optical disc authoring software, it can be larger--for instance 2.88 MB.

The other work around is to put the Ghost program on the data portion of the boot disc and not in the boot sector.  Load the appropriate DOS optical disc drive drivers so one can access the data portion of the optical disc, and then load the Ghost program from that data portion of the disc.

I just made it 2.88mb instead and that worked Smiley Do you need to put ghost into the boot sector? Or just let it boot to you get to the Cmd interface (Dont know what to call it lol) Then type in ghost?

I could not verify for sure, but the laptop you mentioned in one of the missing posts appears to have a SATA controller for the HDD--and that probably means the optical drive is also a SATA optical drive that is hooked to that SATA controller as well.  But, the Win98 DOS optical drive drivers only work with PATA controllers--not SATA.  So, the available DOS optical drive drivers on the Win98se boot disc would not successfully load to access the data on the SATA optical drive.  You could still boot to DOS--the boot sector of a bootable optical disc is outside the data portion of the disc--but you can not access the optical drive's disc data.

So, how did you get it to work?

No it pretty much booted into Ghost. I did a partition to image on my backup partition and it worked great. My mate must of added the drivers to it. If the computer is quite new, is it difficult to get the drivers to work and load because of DOS? I bet its a complete pain to get all the drivers Sad

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 9:41am

@
ITTech32

Quote:
I would need to purchase the Ghost Solutions Suite to get a copy of the Boot disk?

You would not *get a copy of the Boot disk*--you would get the Ghost programs pre-programmed with your licensing information--i.e. your name and the name of your company listed when you load Ghost.  And the full program will include the Ghost Boot Wizard component that helps you create various boot discs for your needs.

Quote:
I  did try to download the trial version but it wont run on any of my versions of Windows.

Have not heard of that problem being mentioned before.  Would have to have more details so I could try the same steps to see what happens on one of my systems.

Quote:
I just made it 2.88mb instead and that worked 

That explains it!  What disc authoring program did you use--Nero, Roxio, or .....? 

What menu item did you select to change the boot sector size from the usual default of 1.44 MB to the 2.88 MB size?

Did you use WinImage to create the initial boot sector file for using to create the boot disc?

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:11pm

Are we talking about Ghost Solutions Suite 2.5 Here. I downloaded the trial and it wont install on any of my version of windows,  I use Vista Home Premium and XP Home, it doesent support these versions....
Symantec Ghost "Server" and Console

Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server SP3, Windows Server 2003 Standard/Enterprise SP1, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard/Enterprise, Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate/Professional/Enterprise
    Video display supporting 256 colors at 800 by 600 resolution

Symantec Ghost Console Client

Windows Networking connectivity
    64/32-bit Windows OS including Windows 7 Ultimate/Professional/Enterprise, Vista Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate, Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional (excluding support for 64-bit Itanium processors), Windows Server 2008 R2
    32-bit Windows applications
    Single boot system (no dual boot support)
    Current DOS drivers for workstation network cards

I use WinImage to make the bootsector then use ImgBurn to burn into a bootable .iso

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:38pm

I dont know what im doing wrong. I followed your guide and used the mouse.com that you provide and it still fails. I even added the mouse.ini Here is the error:

VMGH.jpg (75 KB | 901 )
VMGH.jpg

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:30pm

@
ITTech32

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:11pm:
Are we talking about Ghost Solutions Suite 2.5 Here. I downloaded the trial and it wont install on any of my version of windows,I use Vista Home Premium and XP Home

Well, based on the system requirements you included, looks like it has to be WinXP *Prof* or better, and Vista Home Premium may be a level below what's required also--*Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate*--Vista Home Premium, I think, is one level below those options.

Quote:
I followed your guide and used the mouse.com that you provide and it still fails. I even added the mouse.ini Here is the error:

Based on that .jpg, it's definitely *mouse.com* that's causing the problem--it wants to write to the A:\ floppy drive media.  But, because it's a boot CD, the virtual floppy drive is read only.

What size is the mouse.com program that you are using--mine is 34 kB.  I've never had to use *mouse.ini* with it.

When I use the mouse.com that was added by the Ghost Boot Wizard to my boot floppy disk, the *mouse.ini* file created and written to the boot floppy disk upon first boot had the following content:

Code:
[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

I don't know, but maybe using a virtual machine is having some sort of effect.

Can you use a virtual floppy drive in the VM, drop the boot floppy image disk on it and let it boot from the floppy--that should allow it to write whatever file it is attempting to write to the floppy drive A:.  Once the boot files are executed, see if a *mouse.ini* file was created (using *dir* at the A:\ prompt).  Would need the DOS *edit* program available to see what's inside that .ini file.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:44am

I can understand why they have done it, but it sucks! None of the version of windows i have will support it. No point in buying the legal copy if it wont run! I only really want the Ghost BOOT CD for personal use for goodness sake!

I downloaded the *mouse.exe* instead of the *Mouse.zip* and that fixed it. I have no idea why they are different but it works.

I tired what you said inside VM, VM wouldn't let me use the the files that i created with WinImage. But that's now irrelevant

Thanks again,

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 9:47am

@
ITTech32

Quote:
I downloaded the *mouse.exe* instead of the *Mouse.zip* and that fixed it.

Actually, I think you missed the download I was recommending.

From the *Bootdisk.com* website link:

Quote:
WANT A MOUSE IN DOS

The easiest way to test and/or get a standard serial or ps/2 mouse working in DOS is to download mouse.com to .....

In that first sentence, the *mouse.com* is a download link to the mouse program referenced in the Guide:

Quote:
c.  Mouse.com :  Put this in the 'Mouse (Microsoft)' subdirectory.

Download:  The first 'mouse.com' listed at the above link.

Quote:
I tired what you said inside VM, VM wouldn't let me use the the files that i created with WinImage.

Does the VM support a 2.88 floppy image?  You could remove *ghost.exe* from the boot files, and create a 1.44 floppy image if you wanted to see what was needed to boot--but, as you said, you've solved the problem via other means.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:29pm

Hey,

Sorry it was my fault, i misunderstood it,

Thanks again for the help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print