BootMGR missing (Read 12306 times)
strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

BootMGR missing
Sep 18th, 2012 at 11:04pm

Hi all,

Having a problem ghosting a win7 image to another computer with V15.

Which is the correct file to choose from the pic below,  when restoring using the Restore CD. I chose the C Drive file, but when I try to boot...it says bootmgr missing.

Thanks for any help.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease being honest

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: BootMGR missing
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 11:14pm

Mike,

The screenshots are missing too. It sounds like you haven't restored the SRP and you have set the wrong partition Active.

Ghost 15 is not designed for transferring an OS from one computer to another. It can be done but you may run into non booting issues due to different storage controller drivers.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:42am

Thanks Brian. So can you recommend a good program to do what I want? I upl;oad the pic again...if it dont show this time I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

GhostRestore.JPG (77 KB | 667 )
GhostRestore.JPG

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease being honest

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:45am

BTW... I am not ghosting to a SSD drive...actually I am trying to copy to a Desktop formatted Sata drive from a Laptop Sata image.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 1:29am

Mike,

What is the file size of each of those images?
Are the images on an external HD? The D: drive.
Is that the desktop computer you plan to use?

I also need to know the size of the laptop HD and the target desktop HD. Any other hardware info would be helpful.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:34am

Brian, the Boot file is only 11.7 MB, and the C Drive file is 18GB.

The images "were" on an External drive, but I copied them to the Desktop drive D (Storage Partion on the same "disk" I was trying to copy image to drive C of the desktop) for easy access and faster restore times.

The Laptop image was Win7 (18gb) on a 125gb partition (WesternDigital HDD 2.5), and the Desktop drive is 500gb Samsung HDD 3.5 with no othrer partitions.

Hope this helps

PS. Just wondering if I could creat a seperate partition on the desktop drive and say call it "Boot" and try and restore that small boot file in the image folder onto it and see what happens...what you think Brian?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:49am

Mike,

That explains it. You were supposed to restore both images into unallocated space and set the smaller partition Active. You restored Win7 into a partition with a drive letter instead of into unallocated space. But instead of starting again, try this and let me know what happens. You have several more phases to go.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411

Don't do the Technical Notes section.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:56am

Thanks mate...will be a while before I can try again...a day or 2. Hopefully tomorrow night if all goes well.  Will keep you informed.

IP Logged

strikey_mate
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia, Victoria

Re: BootMGR missing.... SOLVED
Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 6:32am

Gave up in the end and imaged back to the old xp system. It seemed my win 7 image was OEM and this probably interfered with the restore. Also there was a boot order problem that I could not get right even after all the windows repair options like fixmbr and boot.ini stuff. On top of that I had the machine locking up each time I changed a partition letter to try and get boot to work properly. Oh boy, it was too much for me so I threw in the towel and reverted back to a dual boot system with XP pro and XP Slim. I spent 2 days messimg with it. Now wait...theres more. I have this old box from 2000 running the same as above dual boot. I then decided to practice on that machine with the win7 image, and had it working perfectly within 1 hour. That other newer machine just didn't like me messin with it for some reason.

Anyway Brian, I am back up and running at least, allbeit with win 7 on the older box. I learnt a lot by the experience and feel more confident now to attack bigger IT tasks.

Thanks for your help on this brian.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print