Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghosts after 2001 and XenServer DOS Mode - reboots (Read 6222 times)
te
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghosts after 2001 and XenServer DOS Mode - reboots
Sep 26th, 2012 at 2:30am

Hello.

When run on XenServer Virtual Machine (DOS Mode)
Norton Ghost 5.1, 6.5, 2001 - Ghost run OK
When try to run 2003 or any 11.x versin of ghost.exe - the virtual machine goes to reboot.
With keys such as -fnx, -fni, fns, -noscsi, -di, -memcheck, -finger, ghost reboot VM too. Undecided

What is the problem ?
May be others DOS software can support to extract DISK, Partition images of .GHO,.GHS extensions from 11.x version of Ghost  ?

p.s. try to run Acronis True Image - runs OK but it not support Ghost's images

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghosts after 2001 and XenServer DOS Mode - reboots
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 10:13am

@
te

Welcome to Radified Forums.

Unfortunately, there are probably very few folks who are using software/hardware similar to your setup--so, it will be lucky if someone will have experience that can help here.

But, a few questions to perhaps help think through the problem:

Quote:
Norton Ghost 5.1, 6.5, 2001 - Ghost run OK

So, these versions of Ghost boot okay and can create and restore image files without any problem--correct?

Quote:
When try to run 2003 or any 11.x versin of ghost.exe - the virtual machine goes to reboot.

So, you are using the *XenServer Virtual Machine (DOS Mode)*, and not the *virtual partition* that these newer versions use to create a Windows interface for Ghost--i.e. you are still booting to DOS and loading *ghost.exe* from a command line, either from a DOS prompt or within the autoexec.bat--not in Windows and starting the Ghost procedure from within Windows Ghost interface--correct?

When exactly does the *reboot* occur--what is the very last thing that happened--what was on the monitor screen?

Quote:
With keys such as -fnx, -fni, fns, -noscsi, -di, -memcheck, -finger, ghost reboot VM too

I presume these switches are being used with the versions of Ghost (2003 or any 11.x version) that will not load without causing a reboot?

Quote:
May be others DOS software can support to extract DISK, Partition images of .GHO,.GHS extensions from 11.x version of Ghost  ?

Ghost 11.xx has a Windows based program called *Ghost Explorer* that can read .gho and .ghs files--you can extract files using that--but, you can not use the image files in Ghost Explorer to do restores of the whole images to a disk or partition.  Ghost 2003 also has a *Ghost Explorer* program--but, it may not be compatible with newer versions of Ghost image files--which Ghost 11.xx files would be.  Otherwise, Ghost image file formats are exclusive to Ghost--no other software can work with them--as far as I know.

Ghost 11.xx has a Windows based 32-bit version of Ghost--ghost32.exe--that can run under Windows.  It can create and restore Ghost images--but, it can not restore the OS partition from which the Ghost32 program is running from--have to able to boot from some other media to restore a whole disk or OS partition image.  But, you could restore to a separate HDD attached to a given machine.

You say Norton Ghost 5.1, 6.5, 2001 work fine--but, they also will not be *forward* compatible with Ghost 11.xx Ghost image files.

From you description, it sounds like the older versions of Ghost are not aware of some aspect of the virtual machine's hardware--so does not cause the Ghost software to *choke*--but the newer versions of Ghost are detecting something--but, somehow they do not handle the situation correctly, and somehow cause a reboot.  I don't know how flexible the *virtual machine* setup is--you could try changing what hardware is being loaded to see if you can find the source of the apparent conflict.

You might find someone more knowledgeable with your setup at the  Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) support forum

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print