NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Windows 8 Useability
Nov 22nd, 2012 at 2:29pm

To all

Found this to be an interesting article on Win8 usability:  Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows 8 Useability
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 6:15am

@
NightOwl

I built my new computer last weekend. I'm using Win8 and already I prefer it to WinXP.  I can find everything I need, no hardware issues and it is fast. I've no complaints. Metro is useful too.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 6:04pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Nov 30th, 2012 at 6:15am:
I can find everything I need, no hardware issues and it is fast. I've no complaints. Metro is useful too. 

Are you using a touch screen?  Or using mouse and keyboard?

See here for more *complaints*:  10 must-have features for Windows 9
Desktop users deserve a significant rethink of the Windows 8 gaffes and omissions for the next version of Windows
.  For instance:

Quote:
Windows 9 must-have feature No. 9:

Metro mute button
If Metro IE lands on a noisy page or I find myself inadvertently playing a Metro Video that's set to earsplitting levels, it takes a zillion clicks (or swipes and stabs and slides) to turn down the bloody volume.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 7:33pm

@
NightOwl

I'm using a mouse and keyboard. I've found Win8 an easy progression from WinXP and that's how I'm using it. Much the same as WinXP. I scanned through that link you posted and it doesn't apply to me. After a week of full time Win8 I won't be going back to WinXP.

I do have WinXP and Win8 on the new computer so I can do a direct comparison, independent of hardware. Win8 is definitely faster than WinXP. Everything just works. I plugged in my old printer and didn't need to install drivers from a CD as I did with WinXP. Win8 had the drivers and automatically installed them. Networking with other computers is a no brainer. I'm using Defender which is Win8's anti virus/anti-spyware so no third party software is needed.

Regarding the absence of a Start Menu. That's no big deal as I've made my own shortcuts which I prefer to the WinXP menu.

I've been playing with Win8 betas for about a year and I didn't like it at first. It took a few months to change my mind.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 2:13am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
After a week of full time Win8 I won't be going back to WinXP.

I guess that's a good endorsement!

Brian wrote on Dec 4th, 2012 at 7:33pm:
I've been playing with Win8 betas for about a year and I didn't like it at first. It took a few months to change my mind.

Note to self--look forward to upwards of 1 year for learning curve (just kidding--for me it will probably be much longer  Roll Eyes )!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:08pm

@
NightOwl

I installed Win8 from a USB flash drive. Start to finish was only 8 1/2 minutes. Much, much faster than a WinXP install.

Out of interest I copied my recently installed Win8 to unallocated space on the SSD so I'd have a second OS for testing. (using BIBM as the boot manager). The copied Win8 was activated when I checked so no Microsoft phone call was needed.

Regarding installing an upgrade Win8 to a new HD, this advice from zfactor is excellent ...

Quote:
i have seen more than 40 installs of win 8 since the 26th come in. some had the upgrade keys and some worked and some did not with the official iso i have on hand. but there is a way to make it work every time.

i use the win 7 usb tool to create a bootable win 8 drive and add ei.cfg into the sources folder. open a notepad and enter this:

[Channel]
Retail

[VL]

the save it as ei.cfg this allows you to skip entering the key during install.

then you can install without a key at all. once installed you can edit a registry key to allow use of even the upgrade key and manually enter your key:

1-open regedit

2-search this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

3-Change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0"

4-open cmd as admin

5-type this: slmgr /rearm and hit enter

now restart pc/laptop etc.

6-again open cmd with admin privilegies

7-then install your key with these commands:

1- slmgr /ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX and hit enter

2- slmgr /ato and hit enter

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:02am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:08pm:
Quote:

i have seen more than 40 installs of win 8 since the 26th come in. some had the upgrade keys and some worked and some did not with the official iso i have on hand. but there is a way to make it work every time.

That's a very interesting piece of information--if you will be installing Win8 more than a couple times--like some of the folks here who create test systems--looks like that can be a real time saver!  Have you tried it?

Brian wrote on Nov 30th, 2012 at 6:15am:
I built my new computer last weekend. I'm using Win8 and already I prefer it to WinXP.I can find everything I need, no hardware issues and it is fast. I've no complaints. Metro is useful too.

So, did your new system include a *touch screen* monitor? 

I still can not get past the whole concept of reaching out and placing finger prints all over my monitor--and then swiping side to side and up and down to further smear those finger prints all over the surface of a monitor.

I wash windows to get finger prints off the surface, I wash mirrors, I wash my car's windshields,--for heaven's sake--I wash my glasses to get rid of the smear of finger prints so I can see things better--how is it *okay* to *purposely* smear the monitor, and then have to look through those smears at what's below them?

What has your experience been?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:10pm

@
NightOwl

See Reply #3. I'm still impressed with Win8. My wife and youngest son are using it on their computers too.

Win8 installs from a UFD in about 8 minutes. Much faster than a WinXP install.

I don't like finger prints either.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 9:57pm

Win8 64-bit installs in 8 minutes. 32-bit takes 7 minutes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print