Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery of Image files/folders (Read 13498 times)
fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Recovery of Image files/folders
Dec 13th, 2012 at 6:54am

Weekly, I back-up a) Win 7 and Applications, b) My Documents and c) My Pictures, each from/to their own partition.

I can easily open a backed-up file/folder from My Documents, however, I cannot open an image file/folder from My Pictures.  A Search reports "cannot find!"

I attach the error message.

Please can anyone shed a light on my problem?

Regards.....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovery of Image files/folders
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:47am

@
fotobits

I need a little more info.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management and also a screenshot of the Ghost files in the H: root?

Are the Ghost files in the H: root, images of the H: drive?

IP Logged

fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 9:18am

Thank you, Brian.  I hope I am submitting the requested info....

The original pictures are in Partition H: (Disc 1) and the Ghost files are in Partition I: (Disc 2).

I attach two screen shots, Disc Management and the Ghost folders in Partition I: (Disc 2).

Let me know if you require a screen shot of the original pictures in Partition H: (Disc 1).  I have not included it because of the max attachment limitation, reducing their sizes and they became hard to read!

Regards......Noel

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:28am

@
fotobits

I don't use Ghost v???? that uses *.iv2i* image files--so take my questions for what they're worth....

Brian wrote on Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:47am:
Are the Ghost files in the H: root, images of the H: drive?

If I'm seeing your HDD layouts correctly, the answer to the above question is the Ghost files are on the I:\ drive, and in the root directory.

Looking at your first post .jpeg--

Why does Ghost list the the drive name in brackets, rather than using the Windows drive letter assignment?

When using *Recovery My Files*, how do you select the image file--and does that selection process use the Windows drive letter to show you what, and where, you are selecting the file from?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 12:38pm

Why does Ghost list the the drive name in brackets, rather than using the Windows drive letter assignment?

I don't know, however, I use exactly the same procedure to view archived Personal Files as Picture Files and the Personal Files are displayed OK.

When using *Recovery My Files*, how do you select the image file--and does that selection process use the Windows drive letter to show you what, and where, you are selecting the file from?

I use "Tasks/Recovery My Files," searching on a Folder name in "Find Files to Recover" above the relevant "Recovery Point."

See the two attachments.  The Personal Files are displayed, the Picture Files are not, as you can see.

Thanks for your trouble, Brian.  I'm afraid my responses may be confusing.

Regards.....Noel

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 1:33pm

Noel,

In your "Ghost_folders_in_Partition_I.JPG (64 KB | 1 )" screenshot, what are the file extensions of the three files?

What are the creation dates and times of the three files?

.iv2i is an incremental file extension and seems out of place. Did you create it deliberately?

IP Logged

fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 2:16pm

In your "Ghost_folders_in_Partition_I.JPG (64 KB | 1 )" screenshot, what are the file extensions of the three files?  What are the creation dates and times of the three files?

First one : Symantec Image File (v2i), created 3/12/12 09:00:34, modified 3/12/12 09:46:48.

Second one : Symantec Image File (v2i), created 10/12/12 09:20:14, modified 10/12/12 09:20:35 Incremental.

Third one : SymantecRecovery Environment File (sv2i), created 6/2/12 13:44:42, modified 10/12/12 09:20:40.

.iv2i is an incremental file extension and seems out of place. Did you create it deliberately?

That is an Incremental File and the extension was allocated by Ghost.  However, I may have initiated the creation of that Incremental File manually....I think I did.

Regards.....Noel

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 2:26pm

OK. Can you mount the main .v2i file?

What is the file size of the .iv2i? Does it pass "Verify"?

IP Logged

fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 3:24pm

Can you mount the main .v2i file

I can open the .v2i file in Win Explorer, but not in Ghost.

What is the file size of the .iv2i? Does it pass "Verify"?

Apologise over this one.  The second File in the Ghost Folder is this ivc2i File.  It is 104MB.  Not sure what you mean by "pass verify."  The File is "ticked" in the Status page.

The Ghost Folders in Personal Image (L) appear just the same.  The first, the full back-up, the second the incremental.

LATE NEWS!

Instead of searching for archived Files using "Tasks/Recover My Files," I have tried "Tools/Run Recovery Point Browser."  This works a treat!

In fact, I suggest we call it a day.  I'm still mystified as to why the "Tasks/Recover My Files" didn't work with the Picture Files, but did with Personal Files but, at least, I now have easy access to all archived records and pics!

If you've further comments, Brian, I'd be very interested.  Otherwise, thank you so much for your patience and help.

Regards.....Noel

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:05am

@
fotobits

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "pass verify."

It's a separate task that Ghost can do on an image file--it looks at the file to make sure that it is valid and no corruption.  It is often referred to as *Passing an Integrity Check* or as *Verify Integrity* of an image file.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print