Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixing ghost 12 and 2003 image restores (Read 5639 times)
niel4more
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chesterfield, MO

Mixing ghost 12 and 2003 image restores
Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:22am

Just recovered a ghost 12 image ( C: drive / OS only) to a new hard drive due to drive failure. YEA

I have a 2003 image that includes a utility /diagnostic partition (the 12 version did not). Can I restore the utility partition using ghost 2003 without compromising the just restored C: only image?

(or should I create a partition of similar size using partition magic then restore?)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Mixing ghost 12 and 2003 image restores
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 2:56pm

@
niel4more

niel4more wrote on Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:22am:
or should I create a partition of similar size using partition magic then restore?

That's what I'd do.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Mixing ghost 12 and 2003 image restores
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:55am

@
niel4more

Can I restore the utility partition using ghost 2003 without compromising the just restored C: only image?

Probably not.  When restoring a partition using Ghost 2003, you either have to restore to an existing partition (i.e. partition to partition restore), or it would have to be a partition image to *whole disk* restore--which would then be over-writing your C:\ partition.

So, if you want that utility partition on the same HDD as your C:\, you will have to shrink the C:\ partition to create unallocated space, establish a partition, and then restore the partition image to that space.

I have a 2003 image that includes a utility /diagnostic partition

Is the utility/diagnostic partition from a system like a Dell or other big manufacturer?  Often those partitions are *locked* to a specific HDD and/or motherboard.  You may not have the functionality that you are hoping for if that's the case.  There are certain *fixes* for some systems--post the particulars and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print