Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Seagate Discwizard Isues and BartPE (Read 68810 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Seagate Discwizard Isues and BartPE
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 2:05am

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:38am:
I believe I was the first to post about the workaround to use Discwizard with non Seagate drives in reply #9

I thought it might have been you, but I couldn't remember for sure--thanks for the link to the original thread.

Has anybody reported login problems or problems staying logged in?Yesterday I wasn't logged in as I normally am for some reason, and I got the password mismatch error when I tried to login and got password reset via email.Today I used the exact same password that worked yesterday, and I got the password mismatch message again.Any ideas why this happens or how to prevent it?

I've not seen anyone else mention a problem.  Are you still having the problem?  Start a new thread in the *YaBB Forum Software + Rad Web Site* board if it's still a problem--that way Rad will more likely pay attention and see it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:50am

Today I wasn't logged in for what ever reason, but I didn't get the password mismatch message and logged in okay.  Still not staying logged in for some reason though.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 10:09am

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:50am:
Today I wasn't logged in for what ever reason, but I didn't get the password mismatch message and logged in okay.  Still not staying logged in for some reason though. 

Well, as best I understand--the password and user name are stored in the forum's data base which is stored at the ISP provider where Radified is hosted.  A problem with that match up would be with the forum software.

But, staying *logged in* is a function that is controlled on your local computer--by a stored *cookie* on your system.

So, have you made any changes or updates to your browser?  Are you using any type of software that *cleans* up your system by deleting cookies, internet browsing cache, etc.?  Is there a change in your browser settings that you (or perhaps a third party software could do this) made that has to do with cookies being saved or deleted?

Also, when you log in, next to the password entry field, is a drop down box where you can select your type of log in--either for *Keeps* (i.e. always logged in each time you return), *Until you log off your browser*, or *x* number of hours.  What is the setting that is selected when you log in?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 1:13pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 16th, 2013 at 10:09am:
@
Tator

Tator wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:50am:

Well, as best I understand--the password and user name are stored in the forum's data base which is stored at the ISP provider where Radified is hosted.  A problem with that match up would be with the forum software.

But, staying *logged in* is a function that is controlled on your local computer--by a stored *cookie* on your system.

So, have you made any changes or updates to your browser?  Are you using any type of software that *cleans* up your system by deleting cookies, internet browsing cache, etc.?  Is there a change in your browser settings that you (or perhaps a third party software could do this) made that has to do with cookies being saved or deleted?

Also, when you log in, next to the password entry field, is a drop down box where you can select your type of log in--either for *Keeps* (i.e. always logged in each time you return), *Until you log off your browser*, or *x* number of hours.  What is the setting that is selected when you log in?

I did delete cookies recently which explains not staying logged in, and today I did remain logged in to post here.  I hope the password mismatch was a fluke and a temporary problem.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 5:46pm

Just want to update some disappointing results with latest Discwizard version 13 which failed to restore an image on my first attempt to do an image restore with latest version.  Discwizard is supposed to do that in 2 steps by first deleting existing data on the partition to restore and then restore the selected image.  Instead it deleted the partition and failed to restore the image resulting in unpartitioned  free space requiring formatting the partition before Discwizard would recognize the target partition.  Wonder if it'd do any good to contact Seagate about this issue?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:32pm

@
Tator

Acronis has the worst reputation of all imaging apps.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 1:45pm

Brian wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:32pm:
@
Tator

Acronis has the worst reputation of all imaging apps.

Since latest Discwizard has proven unreliable and problems of older BartPE CDs with Discwizard no longer working on systems they used to work on, it appears I might need a different BartPE CD with Discwizard 11 for each PC I maintain which is a total of 7 including home and business PCs. 

That's an unacceptable solution and wonder if you know a good alternative with the better speed of Discwizard.  Ghost is pretty reliable but much slower than Discwizard.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 2:29pm

@
Tator

Try Image for Linux. There is a 30 day trial. (it works for Windows OS)

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

You will find a lot of guides on how to use IFL in here...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1341770812/0

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 6:13am

A typical thread about Acronis True Image.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=344833

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:28am

I see 1 post in the
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=344833 thread where another user also had a failed restore.  Actually Seagate Discwizard 11 still works pretty well, and I've seen other Acronis threads that say older Acronis versions work better than the newer versions.  The thing that perplexes me is the BartPE that used to work fine stopped recognizing SATA drives on other systems that it previously recognized all drives fine.  I wonder if slipstreaming another WinXP CD with the SATA drivers on that CD and use that slipstreamed CD to create a new BartPE would fix that SATA drive recognition problem.

If that won't fix the SATA drive recognition issues, I may need to try an alternative program.  That Acronis thread mentions macrium reflect, and I've seen other threads about easeus.  Do you have any experience with either of those or know anything about them?

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 11:16am

Shhhhh!  It's a secret!

But, Ghost 11.5 (DOS Boot ver.) works well for all OS's from '98 to W8.
Rumor has it that it even works for Linux.

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 3:35pm

@
OldCasper

I understand Ghost 11.5 is expensive and you must buy five licenses. Is that true?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #27 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:44am

Unforeseen problems with latest BartPE CD including Discwizard and some problems with seemingly no explanation.  That latest BartPE CD sees all drives on the PC with the SIL3114 SATA card but doesn't see SATA drives on another PC with non SIL drivers on the motherboard which seems plausible.  However, I then tried the BartPE CD with Discwizard that I had used for years and used it to create images on that other PC with onboard non SIL drivers just a couple of months ago, and it no longer sees SATA drives on the other PC it had worked for years with no problems.  Thinking the CD might have been corrupt or something I made a new BartPE build which had the same results, i.e. no SATA drives seen on that PC by the new BartPE CD.  It's almost as if something got written to BartPE CDs to prevent its seeing SATA drives, but I doubt that's possible. 

The seemingly inexplicable behavior from my reply #14 has now been resolved.  A SATA hard drive was recently added to that PC, and Discwizard 11 was used to add the new drive.  PC BIOS default setting for the SATA Controller was RAID, but that setting had to be changed to SATA before Discwizard would recognize the new drive and then added the new drive with no problems.  However, that PC is a multi-boot system with Win98SE, Win2k and WinXP and would not boot to Win98SE with SATA setting for SATA controller in the BIOS, and it had to be changed back to the RAID setting in order to boot Win98SE.

At that time I said to myself I need to change that BIOS setting back to SATA when I need to run Discwizard or anything else from BartPE if I want to see all drives.  In short the seemingly odd behavior was due to operator error with faulty memory, i.e. yours truly.  All drives on both PCs are now seen from both the original BartPE CD and the latest 1 with SIL3114 drivers. as long as I remember to use the BartPE CD with the correct BIOS setting for the SATA controller.  Discwizard 11 still works very well when the user remembers to use it with the correct settings for unusual multi-boot situations like in this circumstance.

It's  a shame though that Discwizard 13 has Restore failures because it eliminates the need to include drivers for add-on adapters.  I'm going to query Seagate support about this problem, and I'll post back if I get any good news from them.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #28 - May 1st, 2013 at 4:28pm

Tator wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:44am:
It'sa shame though that Discwizard 13 has Restore failures because it eliminates the need to include drivers for add-on adapters.I'm going to query Seagate support about this problem, and I'll post back if I get any good news from them. 

Copied and pasted below is reply received from Seagate support.  Based on their reply I recommend anyone interested in using Discwizard get version 11 either from the link in my reply #12 in this thread or possibly from Seagate support.

"Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a way around this issue, and I cannot find information regarding updates that might address it. For now, using the version that the image was created with will be required for the restore. If you ever need an older version, we can always send you a link to download it, in case it is no longer on our website.

I certainly understand that this can be inconvenient. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in the newest version, but I unfortunately cannot make any guarantees. There may be certain limitations I am unaware of that make it difficult for them to fix it.

For additional assistance, feel free to contact us at: www.seagate.com/about/contact-us/technical-support/"

IP Logged

lemur
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #29 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 3:29pm

Tator wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:44am:
........Discwizard 11................BartPE..........still works very well when the user remembers to use it with the correct settings

Hi Tator,

I joined the group since I saw your post searching out on the web for this very subject, and since I always have used DiscWizard v11.0.0.8326 on many versions of Windows, I wanted to ask you some questions on how to make me a BartPE bootable cd with DiscWizard v11 on it for myself, please could use some pointers, and thank you, appreciate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print