Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
should one verfiy the backup (Read 5403 times)
FromNashville
Dude

I Love Radified!

should one verfiy the backup
Apr 30th, 2013 at 8:45am

Is it necessary to verify a backup?

For people who verify, how often do you find a error?

Is there a better way to verify than with Ghost "verify recovery point" checked in the backup job?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: should one verfiy the backup
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2013 at 3:48pm

@
FromNashville

FromNashville wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 8:45am:
Is it necessary to verify a backup?

I do it every time. It only takes 10 seconds with my differential images.

I can't find the following information for Ghost.....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=350

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151

I think it is essential to validate an image prior to a restore. If validation fails, don't attempt a restore. We've seen several threads where a pre restore validation wasn't done when restoring an image to a working OS. The working OS partition was deleted as part of the failed restore process. Each time it was found to be due to bad RAM.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: should one verfiy the backup
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2013 at 9:16am

@
FromNashville

Just adding my *two cents worth*....

I always validate or verify an image file immediately after creating an image.  (I am still using Ghost 2003, and you have to select the verify function after the image is created....you can not include that in the initial setup procedure as can be done with the more recent Ghost programs.)

You certainly can wait until it's time to restore the image, as Brian has mentioned above (and if you are over-writing a functional OS with the restore, even if you validated at the time of creation, it is probably a good idea to re-validate before over-writing that functional OS drive), but it is far *too late* if you never determined if the image file validates at the time of creation.

An invalid image is an invalid image no matter when it occurred, and you can not use it!

Personally, I have always had a backup HDD on the shelf that I use to restore my image to and confirm that I get a valid copy that is functional before I over-write to my current in use OS HDD.  Yes, it takes more time--but ending up with a invalid image over-writing your current OS so that it is no longer functional--well, that takes a lot more time to recover from.......!

(I thought about what I just wrote above....and it didn't come out quite right--so here's the rest of the story.....

I do the above on any system that's *new* and I've never tested doing an OS restore before.  I use a spare HDD to validate that the software and hardware all work as planned.  Once I know that a valid image file will restore correctly on my system without errors, I then am confident that I can restore valid images to my current *production* HDD without too much concern that it will not work.  And, the spare HDD is available for immediate replacement if a HDD failure occurs.

So, hopefully that makes more sense!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print