Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost has been Discontinued by Symantec! (Read 35892 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Ghost has been Discontinued by Symantec!
May 29th, 2013 at 10:27am

Well, I guess we knew this might be coming. 

Symantec bought out the original classic DOS based Ghost program developed by Binary Research of New Zealand.  Symantec brought that program from the Enterprise version to the retail market in the form of Ghost 2001, 2002, and 2003.

Symantec also bought out the Drive Image program which was developed by PowerQuest.  This was a Windows based imaging program.  Symantec decided to drop retail Ghost based on the original DOS based program, so Ghost 2003 was the last of that line, re-labeled Drive Image, and brought out Ghost 9.x, 10.x, 12.x, 14.x, and 15.x.

But, it looks like Ghost 15.x is the end of that line!  Important Update Regarding Norton Ghost

Quote:
On April 30th, 2013, Norton Ghost will be discontinued and no longer available for sale.....

Symantec will not have a Windows 8 compatible version of Norton Ghost. Attempting to install or use Norton Ghost on Windows 8 may result in unexpected results, such as incomplete imaging. Norton Ghost continues to be fully compatible with the Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 platforms.

As far as I can tell, Enterprise Ghost in the form of Ghost Solution Suite v2.5x is still being developed.  It is based on the classic DOS Ghost, but has evolved to Windows based capabilities.  I do not know what its current status is regarding Windows 8 compatibility.

This thread has some interesting comments--it's hard to say if Symantec will continue Ghost Solution Suite to v3.xx:  When will come new Version of Ghost - GSS 3.0?

So, say *Goodbye* to retail versions of Ghost--and, maybe the Enterprise versions as well....... Cry

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost has been Discontinued by Symantec!
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2013 at 11:50am

Ghost 15 has been replaced by Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition. 
http://www.symantec.com/system-recovery-desktop-edition

SSR 2013 has all the look, feel, and features of Ghost 15 and SSR 2013 also includes Windows 8 support, Restore Anywhere to dissimilar hardware support, UEFI, USB3 etc.

The user forum for SSR 2013 can be found at:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/symantec-system-recov...

Pricing is similar except with the initial upgrade there is a $15 tech support subscription, but as I understand it, not mandatory after first year.

There is a 60 day trial available (you need to uninstall Ghost 15 before installing the trial).
https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=156805

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2013 at 12:16pm

Before I read John's post, I thought they might release it as open source, seeing they no longer were planning to market it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2013 at 12:25pm

@
Rad

Quote:
I thought they might release it as open source, seeing they no longer were planning to market it

Unfortunately, Symantec does not seem inclined to do that--they abandoned Ghost 2003 back in 2004 and have not marketed a similar retail version since--although their Ghost Solution Suite uses the same core software--just updated over time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 3:30pm

For diehard Ghost (15) fans, I am able to backup and restore with Ghost 15 under Windows 10.  The caveat is getting the activation to work for the license.  This requires going into all the .exe files under the Ghost directory and changing the properties (for all users) to run in compatibility mode with Windows 7.  Once that is done, license will activate.

Modified by NightOwl--12/05/2015

I thought this topic needed it's own thread rather than being buried in this thread--so see here for it's new thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1442003456

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 8:33am

In the original post, circa 2013, one very important version of DOS bases Ghost was omitted. ???
That was Ghost 11.5.  Not surprising though since a Symantec employee who used to post here, stated that Ghost 11.5 never existed.

For those who still have a copy of Ghost 11.5, I'm glad to report that it still works, even for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  I use it all the time for backing up both OS's.
It's such a simple program to use..... I just love it.  And it's even simpler when used with a mouse.

There are many advantages to using a DOS based backup program like Ghost 11.5.
The main one, as I see it, is that any hard drive can be cloned or just backed up, even when there is no running OS on that drive.  Any Windows based backup program, Ghost included, is totally worthless, when the drive that it's on has crashed and will not boot.

Symantec can discontinue all support for the Ghost program, if that's their decision, but that will have absolutely NO effect on those of us who already have a copy of Ghost 11.5 and want to continue to use it.

Cheers Mates!
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Can we just stop kicking a *dead horse*?
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 12:41am

@
OldCasper

OldCasper wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 8:33am:
In the original post, circa 2013, one very important version of DOS bases Ghost was omitted.

Actually, it was not omitted!  The only legally licensed source for DOS Ghost 11.5 was through the purchase of Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) v2.5x.  In the original posting I said:

NightOwl wrote on May 29th, 2013 at 10:27am:
As far as I can tell, Enterprise Ghost in the form of Ghost Solution Suite v2.5x is still being developed.

OldCasper wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 8:33am:
That was Ghost 11.5.  Not surprising though since a Symantec employee who used to post here, stated that Ghost 11.5 never existed.

Can we finally put this wrong understanding to rest, and stop kicking a dead horse?!!!!!

The former Symantec employee was Nigel Bree.  He's a software engineer who wrote important parts of the code for DOS Ghost 11.5 (that's right Old Casper--he wrote parts of *your* favorite Ghost program--as well as many other versions--knowing that, are you sure you want to continue to use that program--how can you stomach it?!)--so he is well aware that DOS Ghost version 11.5 *exists*!

This misunderstanding occurred when Nigel Bree was having a heated discussion with a former forum member, *The Shadow*, about obtaining legally licensed copies of Ghost.  *The Shadow* at the time was promoting and offering pirated copies of DOS Ghost 11.5.  *The Shadow* was banned from the forum after being warned, and he continued to offer pirated copies of the Ghost software.

What Nigel Bree was trying to convey was that Symantec has never marketed Ghost using the name *Ghost 11.5*--so no one could purchase a legal licensed copy of Ghost under the name *Ghost 11.5*!  In the past, Ghost had been marketed using the version of the DOS Ghost program such as Ghost 6.x, Ghost 7.x, Ghost 8.x.  But, Ghost 11.5 was never a marketed product--so, Ghost 11.5 NEVER EXISTED in order to get a legal, licensed copy from Symantec or any other source!

DOS Ghost v11.5 is the program version of DOS Ghost program that is included in the Ghost Solution Suite 2.5!

Yes, Ghost 11.5 *exists*--but it never existed for purchase as a stand alone product!!!!!!!

Can we just stop now?!

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 12:26pm

Details! Details! Details!  (I was really sad to see Nigel leave the forum)

Go ahead, I don't mind at all, hide your head under the sand of 'Details'. 

But when people all over the world are using Ghost 11.5 every day, run from various bootable media, to backup their PC's, running every OS from '98 to Windows 10, then it's not really a dead horse....is it?

I too still use it, and will till they bury me and toss dirt on my coffin.  Why not use something that still works?

I have hand tools that belonged to my Grandfather, then my Father and I still use them daily.
Some of those old tools are at least 100 years old.
If something still works, then why give it up.

Anything old, that still works, is not a dead horse.

I'm sorry if I offended you....that was never my intention.

Happy Holidays

Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 1:49am

@
OldCasper

I have to apologize--apparently my communication skills are inadequate to convey to you what I was trying to say--so, .... very sorry--I'll try once more:

OldCasper wrote on Dec 19th, 2015 at 12:26pm:
But when people all over the world are using Ghost 11.5 every day, run from various bootable media, to backup their PC's, running every OS from '98 to Windows 10, then it's not really a dead horse....is it?

So, don't think I said that Ghost 11.5 is not being used successfully all around the world every day for imaging.  And, I don't think I said Ghost 11.5 is a *dead horse*.  I've re-read my post multiple times, and I just can't find where I said that!

Anything old, that still works, is not a dead horse.

I can not see where I said that Ghost 11.5 is old, that it doesn't work, nor that it is a *dead horse*.  Can you help me out here?

The *dead horse* is the statement that Nigel Bree made that Ghost 11.5 *never existed*!  That comment was taken out of context.  Ghost 11.5 was never a product name under which Ghost was marketed for sale.  Any one who wanted a legally licensed copy of Ghost 11.5 could not buy that program under that name because *it never existed* for sale under that name.  That's all Nigel meant at the time.

It's his statement that's the *dead horse* I think we should stop flogging.

hide your head under the sand of 'Details'

To be honest, I have no idea what you are trying to say!  I do not see that I tried to *hide* anything.  So, what are you trying to say?

Details! Details! Details!

For someone who uses this in his signature line "A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.", I don't know why you would be throwing that into my face as being some sort of *negative*!  Seems like a person who knows the *details*, assuming the details are acurate, is probably someone who is *experienced*, ..... and I'll just let that speak for itself.

I'm sorry if I offended you....that was never my intention.

Not offended at all--maybe incredulous, but not offended.  I don't know you personally, by any means, but I find the tone of your typed statements to come across as quite disingenuous.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 5:26pm

It appears that we've not engaged in this conversation for about seven years.   WOW!

Ya know, I don't even remember writing that last post.  Doesn't sound like me at all.  Must have been under the alkafluence of inkahol.

At this point in my 79 years, I can't even remember where I got Ghost 11.5, but it sort of seems like someone sent it to me. 

However, just like it worked GREAT years ago, it still works!  And as most people on this forum already know, without me telling them, Ghost will back up almost anything.  I still love it.

Since I first met Ghost, back in 1997, there have been MANY other backup programs come down the pike and I've evaluated most of them, only to discard them as seriously Wanting.

Y'all keep up the good work.  I still enjoy reading this site. 

OldCasper  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print