Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
can't create a recovery disk (Read 30680 times)
rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

can't create a recovery disk
Jun 28th, 2013 at 11:07am

I have installed g12 on a dell inspiron 1525, xp2, 2g ram. I need to create a recovery disk, but when I click the drop down and access the wizard, it asks for a path to a srd as if it already exists, rather than to create one. When I select my cd drive and click next it says invalid pathway. I have done this before with this same program on other computers, since I have never had a srd until creating one. I seem to recall that you can't create a srd from a trial version, but I used my key to activate, and see nothing that suggests it is not fully activated, or that I need a new key, as if I have exceeded the max number of installs or the key has expired. It has been a while since I created a srd, so what am I missing?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: can't create a recovery disk
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 3:45pm

@
rleescott

The Ghost CD is the SRD. You only need to create a custom SRD if the standard Ghost CD can't see your HD or your network from the recovery environment.

Can you boot from the Ghost CD into the recovery environment and access your recovery points?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 5:16pm

I have the g12 program install cd. This is not and never has been bootable to the recovery environment. You must be misunderstanding the issue. A custom srd must be made, as I have done many times previously, after running driver validation to see what drivers are not available, so as to have a bootable srd with the correct drivers for the recovery install to a new hard drive after a drive failure. i don't believe my original program came with a srd, I had to make one, but how? Maybe this is different in later versions. In the meantime, I have found that I can use another already created srd from a similar system in the cd drive and it will create a new custom srd. But that means in addition to the correct new drivers needed, I am also installing all drivers that happen to be on the old srd, needed or not. Seems like this could create an unexpected driver conflict.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:38pm

@
rleescott

What happens when you try to boot the Ghost CD? Do you see "Press any key to boot?

On your CD, do you have a folder called Boot and a Folder called Sources containing boot.wim?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:38pm

I do have the boot and souces folder. The cd is not bootable, no press any key to boot. It is a cd with g12 software for install and the option for full activation by a product key, which I have done. You seem to be unaware of the need for a custom srd for any os which has been modified to include hardware or software not basic to xp, so that extra drivers are needed when reinstalling a"clone" to a new hd when the old hd has failed. Surely you have needed to do this. Since I bought this g12 program many years ago, maybe it came with a generic srd also, and I have forgotten. Once I made the first custom srd, perhaps I have always used the new one for future installs. My concern now is, if I use the same custom srd for all future installs, does the process use only the necessary drivers or install all drivers on the srd, needed or not. If so, am I creating driver conflicts by using the same srd for all processes, rather than one that is uniquely customized to my computer and os.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:45pm

On your CD, do you have a folder called Boot and a Folder called Sources containing boot.wim?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:48pm

yes, see above.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 11:27pm

Sorry. I missed that. That is the same as mine so I don't know why yours doesn't boot. I've only ever made one custom SRD. Ghost 10. All other standard Ghost CDs booted in my computers. Ghost 9, 12, 14 and 15. Not many people need a custom SRD.

Even those who need a custom SRD find the standard Ghost CD boots but it doesn't access their drives. You are the odd man out I'm afraid.

What you can do is download the Ghost 15 ISO and use that as your SRD. You won't need to create a custom one.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20091016094409EN_En
dUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=53A0112C66BFBA909C102D8E7298593F.4?entsrc=redirect
_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1

Copy and paste this full link.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 9:00am

I have figured it out, thanks as always, to your input, Brian. I have an original trial version of g12 with an activation key to make it fully functional. Therefore, the cd won't function as bootable srd. What is required is to install and activate from my cd. Then create an srd using the drop down create custom srd. My hangup was I forgot that the pathway to cd drive D: is completed in my case by leaving the install cd in the cd tray. Once I do this the process of burning a srd, which is customized for my driver situation, can complete. This is what I did many years ago, now temporarily forgotten. I remain perplexed by one issue, though, Brian. How can any generic srd be sufficient to reinstall a recovery point? Every time I make a new srd for a new system, there are new drivers to consider. If you do not make a custom srd, then after reinstall you would need to separately add the missing drivers after the fact? Why would you do that if you can create a custom srd with all necessary drivers for full reinstall?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 3:59pm

The Ghost 12 CD is a WinPE disk based on Vista 32-bit. It contains most, but not all, Storage controller drivers. Only those computers whose Storage controller drivers are not on the disk will require a custom CD to view their SATA drives.

When you run the Ghost Driver validation it always shows "Missing drivers" but most of these are irrelevant to the Ghost CD working. The only essential one is Storage controller.

Even the Ghost 15 CD is Vista 32-bit based but it has a lot more storage controller drivers than Ghost 12. The Ghost 15 CD can restore .v2i images made by earlier Ghost versions.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 5:27pm

There's a problem. When I run driver validation, the missing drivers I see are my newly installed internal wireless. Prior to that, it was my previously installed external wireless and video card. Anytime I add hardware that requires drivers that are not included in winxp, those are the drivers that I want permanently for a new install. When I added a video card, it showed up in the driver validation list as not available, and that's true because I had to install a new driver from a vendor cd. Don't you experience this sort of issue? Have I misunderstood the process?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:25pm

Wireless drivers are an example of irrelevant drivers as wireless networking doesn't work in the SRD. It's not supported in the WinPE.

I've never had to add drivers since Ghost 10. I suggest you try the Ghost 15 CD I posted. Your driver concerns will be gone.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:59pm

I beg to differ. Wireless and video drivers that are not in winxp have to be added somewhere and are not irrelevant. If they are added to the recovery point by the srd, then they don't have to be installed after the recovery is complete. How can any version of ghost have all drivers needed for a custom os install? I must be missing your point, but I don't see how. I have used srd to install, one without being customized, and the driver was not there and I had to install it later.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 7:25pm

rleescott wrote on Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
I beg to differ. Wireless and video drivers that are not in winxp have to be added somewhere and are not irrelevant.

I meant they are irrelevant in the SRD as the SRD doesn't support wireless networking.

Having drivers in the SRD has nothing to do with the restored image. SRD drivers don't get transferred to the HD. If the driver was in your image it will be in the restored partition. All added drivers do in the SRD is allow the SRD to see SATA partitions. But most SRDs contain relevant storage controller drivers and you don't need to add extra ones. Even a Ghost 12 SRD has controller drivers for my 6 month old computer.

The ability to see "Press any key to boot CD" has nothing to do with drivers. This happens before drivers are loaded.

Edit ... with drivers being transferred to the HD you might be thinking of a Restore Anyware. This isn't supported by any of the Ghosts.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:20am

Wow. I have been under the impression, due to the g12 instruction manual, that if I am missing drivers applicable to my restore image, that the install will work, but the custom drivers will be missing from the restored hd. What you say makes sense, in that the image should have copied whatever os drivers were in the system at the time the restore point was created. I took the instructions and warning at face value. Another instance of bad info from symantec. I have very many custom srd's that I create as an update every time I installed a new driver on my many computer systems. From what you have taught me, if any srd boots to the recovery environment it will work to install a restore point that should be fully functional if it is up to date. Is that true?
If so, becuase I have made many bootable srd's for g12, I don't need to worry about ever creating a new srd for my existing home ide, sata non-network computers?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print