Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Length of time for backup (Read 12736 times)
Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Length of time for backup
Jul 2nd, 2013 at 5:01pm

Does it make sense that a backup of a system drive would take much longer if the source drive is IDE versus SATA?  I'm backing up an IDE drive with about 30GB of data.  It's taking about 2.5 hours.  A similar backup of a SATA drive took only about 30 minutes.  Both backups are being written to the same external USB drive.  The backup is being performed 'cold,' using Ghost 15 to boot the computer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Length of time for backup
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 2:39am

@
Dirk B

Can you run ATTO on the C: drive partition of the IDE HD.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1749/atto-disk-benchmark-v2-46/

What are the Maximum Read and Write rates?

Check the SATA drive too.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:45am

@
Dirk B

Quote:
It's taking about 2.5 hours.  A similar backup of a SATA drive took only about 30 minutes.

That is a big difference!

It's not only the HDD speed, but the CPU and motherboard architecture that can influence speeds.  Also, the USB controller on each system may be having an effect as opposed to the external HDD itself.

On my older system (2003), using DOS Ghost 2003 and internal PATA to PATA HDD backups of about 40 GB, it takes just over 1 hour.  USB backup would likely take 3-4 hours--I don't do those!

My newer system (2011), using DOS Ghost 2003 and internal SATA to SATA HDD backups of about 50 GB takes about 40 minutes.  I have not been able to use DOS USB drivers successfully on this system--so don't know how fast things might be.

Dirk B wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 5:01pm:
if the source drive is IDE versus SATA

Technically, SATA is also considered an IDE HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:31pm

@
Dirk B

Can you run ATTO on the USB external HD from each system? I know it's the same HD.

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:16pm

Sorry, I'm not that technologically adept.  However both the PATA and SATA drives were of the same system (at different times), so it seemed to me that 'all things were equal,' with the exception of the system drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:46pm

@
Dirk B

Dirk B wrote on Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:16pm:
Sorry, I'm not that technologically adept.

Come on! Nothing difficult here. Download the file, unzip it, double click bench32.exe.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 2:03am

@
Dirk B

Dirk B wrote on Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:16pm:
However both the PATA and SATA drives were of the same system (at different times),

It's always *the rest of the story* that has the *gotcha*!

Well, the controller chip for the PATA HDD is very likely a different controller chip on the motherboard from the SATA controller chip.  Usually the newer technology SATA controller is on the North/South chip set that is tightly integrated with the CPU and motherboard architecture--while the PATA controller is present as an add-on chip to provide some compatibility with older technology--especially optical PATA IDE drives. 

Can you offer a motherboard brand and model number so we can look up the specifications?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print