NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Ghost Used with Win8
Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:21am

To All

I can not recall if I have seen a discussion as to how Ghost works with the new Win8.

Does Win8 act the same way as Win7 as far as how the installation sets up the boot partition, etc.--or does Win8 have a totally new boot setup?

I'm asking this in response to this question in another thread: 

ITTech32 wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:57am:
Will the version I have clone windows 8?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost Used with Win8
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:00pm

@
NightOwl

Win8 is much the same as Win7 except the SRP is 350 MB instead of 100 MB. The Win8 SRP is larger as it contains winre.wim, the Recovery Environment. Another difference with Win8 is the SRP and the OS partition both contain bootmgr.  With Win7, bootmgr is only in the SRP.

You can install Win8 to avoid getting a SRP and winre.wim will be in the OS partition.

I've imaged and restored the Win8 OS partition with Ghost 2003. Restored the image to the same partition.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 6:04am

I'm sure I read that windows 8 has an entirely new file syetem called RTS ( Resilient File System), so that's why I wasn't sure as Ghost can only image/clone Fat/NTFS?? I think I read that if Ghost doesn't recognise the file system it will do a sector-by-sector copy?

Another question: Why did Symantec discontinue ghost?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 9:32am

@
ITTech32

Quote:
RTS ( Resilient File System),

Interesting. 

Here's some references I found:  Building the next generation file system for Windows: ReFS  (which stands for Resilient File System)

ReFS--From Wikipedia

Important items to note:

Quote:
In Windows 8, ReFS will be introduced only as part of Windows Server 8,

and,

Quote:
built on the foundations of NTFS, so it maintains crucial compatibility

Brian wrote on Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Win8 is much the same as Win7 except the SRP is 350 MB instead of 100 MB.

I've imaged and restored the Win8 OS partition with Ghost 2003.

@
ITTech32

Are you using Windows Server 8?

If Ghost 2003 will successfully image Win8, then you should be able to do the same with the Ghost program that's part of Ghost Solution Suite.

We have discussed issues associated with using Ghost and Win7 in the past.  Here's a couple references:

Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting

are ghost 2003, 8x and 11x compatible with winows 7 ?

Based on what Brian said above--you can use the same techniques with Win8 as one would with Win7.

Quote:
Another question: Why did Symantec discontinue ghost?

Symantec has done this to a lot of programs over the years.  The original developers of Ghost, Binary Research, in New Zealand, sold the program to Symantec.  Big corporations do not have the same personal passion to develop and maintain quality software as do the small, startup operations that are trying to make a name for themselves.

Symantec continued the development of Ghost as long as the profits were there.  There's a lot of speculation that the PC as we know it is on the way out because of the onset of the hand held smart phones, tablets, etc., and so the profits from the PC market look dimmer gazing into the future.  Symantec apparently has developed a replacement backup and restore software to replace Ghost--and decided to not continue with the Ghost name going forward:   Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 5:19am

No I haven't used Server 8 yet, although it's something I am wanting to have a play with.

Has anyone ever successfully cloned Linux?

It seams sad that Symantec would discontinue a product that's widely used and still loved my many people worldwide. I read  that the makers of ghost knew how to make ghost compatible with I think it was Mac OS X, but unfortunately they pulled funding for this. There are a lot of companies and school establishments that still use ghost on a regular basis. Symantec should of put more effort into updating ghost and giving ghost new features

The problem is now is that there are so much free software available for cloning/imaging it's hard for ghost to keep up; that being said, like I said before if ghost updated their software regularly then I think it had a fighting chance. I do wish Syamtec would stop pushing this crap system recovery software on people and concentrate on the fantastic products they have!

I don't believe that handhelds or tablets will ever take over the PC. PC's are getting faster, smaller and technology is rapidly changing. The problem with handhelds is getting the data off them, to which you either have to email yourself, or use software like dropbox or box.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 4:54pm

@
ITTech32

Off topic but the TeraByte imaging apps can backup Windows, Linux and  Mac OS X.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 4:26am

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 5:19am:
I don't believe that handhelds or tablets will ever take over the PC. [...] The problem with handhelds is getting the data off them, to which you either have to email yourself, or use software like dropbox or box. 

There's no problem at all.  I can't speak for Apple products (since I don't and never will use them), but with Android and Windows tablets it's really not any more difficult than with regular PCs or laptops.

Many tablets (as well as Android smartphones) have micro-SD slots, and copying files to/from a SD card is just as simple as copying laptop files to a flash drive or SD card.

Most Android devices (both phones and tablets) can also transfer files back and forth to a PC via USB cable.

Most tablets should also be able to connect to your home wifi network, so moving files back and forth via wifi is even simpler.  I regularly listen to about a dozen audio and video netcasts weekly, usually on my phone.  I'll download the mp3 or mp4 files on my PC (because it's a lot quicker with a real keyboard), then transfer them to my phone via wifi.  You can manage the wifi transfers from either end--I recommend ES File Explorer to manage transfers at the phone/tablet, or Airdroid to manage transfers from the Windows PC/laptop side.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 5:21am

@ Brian Good software, although it's not free Sad

I can definitely speak for Apple products and they're a pain in the a**!

The big problem is when companies lock down their devices like Apple do. I have a Nokia WP and I think that is extremely locked down, where you have to use Microsoft's 'Zune' to put any multimedia on to it.

This is why I would chose Android over Apple IOS. Tablets are becoming more useful although I can't see them taking over PC just yet.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 1:38pm

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2013 at 5:21am:
The big problem is when companies lock down their devices like Apple do.

That's just one of many reasons I'll never own an Apple product.  We're way off topic, though, so this isn't the place to go into the plethora of other reasons.

Back to the topic, like Brian I have successfully used Ghost 2003 to image/restore a Win8 OS partition.  I only use Ghost from DOS, never Windows, and follow the same general principles as with Win7--i.e., "generalize" the BCD and pre-create partitions to avoid the SRP.

Note that I've only used MBR-style partition layouts, though, and have very little experience with UEFI/GPT layouts.  That's worth qualifying because many pre-installed Win8 systems are coming from the factory with UEFI/GPT layouts, and I would be surprised if any DOS-based utilities can read GPT.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 1:39pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 4:54pm:
Off topic but the TeraByte imaging apps can backup Windows, Linux andMac OS X.

Au contraire--if you had not said something, I would have!

I really think the TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux is the new *Ghost* in terms of quality, continued development, and compatibility with new hardware and software--just under a different name!  And they actually offer customer service, and answer inquiries about the use of their products.

As I mentioned in another thread, it was bad when Symantec no longer allowed LiveUpdate access to the Archive server in order to update a fresh install of Ghost 2003, but the real *last straw* was when they took down access to the *http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/......* server that had all the FAQs regarding issues and useage of the Ghost 2003 product--and all my radified forum links have now gone stale because of it.

This represents the worst of anything approaching *Customer Service*.  I can understand no longer offering *live support*--but to remove access for online support from previous years of creating useful FAQs with all sorts of support that didn't cost them anything in terms of *live support*.  Symantec was happy to take my money in support of their development of a great quality software product--but, they certainly have no moral compass when it comes to giving back to their previous customers who supported them!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 1:51pm

@
ITTech32

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 3rd, 2013 at 5:21am:
Good software, although it's not free

Hmmm.....bad response!  I'm not against free software--use it all the time when it's available and appropriate.  Was the Ghost Solution Suite that you praise so much *free*?

But my sense has been that really complex software that does critical manipulations tend not to be the *best* in terms of reliability, bug-free (or least not too many), features (that work properly), etc.--I've seen too many posts complaining how their *free* software has let them down!

I think if you want quality software with ongoing development and support, one should be willing to pay a reasonable price for the quality they are getting.  Just my two cents on that one....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 12:03am

Dan Goodell wrote on Aug 3rd, 2013 at 1:38pm:
That's worth qualifying because many pre-installed Win8 systems are coming from the factory with UEFI/GPT layouts, and I would be surprised if any DOS-based utilities can read GPT.

Out of interest I created a 10 GB partition on a 640 GB GPT disk. As expected Ghost 2003 couldn't see the partition. It just saw the OxEE "partition". (610 GB)

I've also installed my OS in MBR mode as I want to multi-boot with BIBM and BIBM doesn't work as a boot manager in UEFI mode. You can still use the BIBM CD however but you have to temporarily disable UEFI and Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 5:03am

NightOwl wrote on Aug 3rd, 2013 at 1:51pm:
Hmmm.....bad response!I'm not against free software--use it all the time when it's available and appropriate.Was the Ghost Solution Suite that you praise so much *free*?

No It's paid... Even though I'm a massive fan of ghost, I can't help but wonder off looking for other alternatives that has more support and supports newer hardware etc.

@ Brian:
Why are you using GPT?? Firstly, I didn't know windows could do it, and to be honest...why would you want to unless you're moving a large amount of data?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 7:23am

@
ITTech32

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 4th, 2013 at 5:03am:
Why are you using GPT?

It was a test computer. Just messing around. BIBM can create GPT disks. And back to MBR disks.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 8:40am

Let me jump right to the end.....

I've used Ghost 11.5, on a Boot CD or Flash Drive to back up all Windows OS's from 98 to Win8.1 with no difference.  It just works.  An associate of mine tells me it also works for Unix, Zenix, Linux, whatever.....

As for the later versions that run under Windows.... I have no experience there.
Having your Backup/Restore program on your hard drive does NO good at all when that drive has gone up in fire and smoke. Roll Eyes Wink Cry
So I've always run Ghost from DOS Bootable media.

Cheers Mates!
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print