"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost Used with Win8
Reply #30 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:30am

@
ITTech32

ITTech32 wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 5:10am:
I was surprised that ghost from WinPe took longer, and I'm guessing this is still Ghost 2003?

The Windows base Ghost32.exe did not come out until Ghost v8.xx.  Ghost 2003 was most equivalent to Ghost v7.5.  There never was a 32-bit version of Ghost for Ghost 2003, so I doubt that what you are using would be *Ghost 2003*.

When you load Ghost32 in Windows or WinPE, the top bar on the Ghost interface should display the Ghost version number--I'm betting it says v11.5.1, or something close to that based on the version of Ghost Solution Suite you have said you are using.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 4:05pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:02am:
Regarding migrating to a SSD, do I remember correctly that you posted an outline of how you setup your SSD prior to installing WinXP and/or Win7?

I can't recall the post but this is what I did with the Dell computer...

Made sure the SSD was HD0 in the BIOS
Installed BIBM to the empty SSD and made sure Align on 2048 Sectors was selected in Settings
Copied the WinXP and Win7 partitions from the old HD to the SSD
Set up Boot Items in BIBM
Finished

I built my current computer late last year. I installed BIBM to the empty SSD and made sure Align on 2048 Sectors was selected in Settings. Win8 cost me $40 so it was the first OS to be installed. The installation of any OS (using BIBM) is standardized and is described here...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

...but in summary...

From BIBM, create a primary partition on the SSD. Your choice of size.
Create a Boot Item
Attempt to boot the Boot Item. This will fail as there is no OS installed but it sets the partition Active and puts your selected partitions in the partition table for that item.
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and boot from the installation media. I used Win8 on a flash drive as it's faster than a DVD install. The entire Win8 install took 8 minutes.
Finished

Other OS are installed using the same method. SSDs are no different from HDs regarding partitioning and installing OS. Same method for both. If you don't want to use BIBM, install the OS in the same fashion as you would with a HD.

One point I forgot to mention. With the Dell, WinXP on the HD was cylinder aligned so I used BIBM to make the copied partition 2048 sector aligned.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #32 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:03pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Installed BIBM to the empty SSD and made sure Align on 2048 Sectors was selected in Settings

Is that selection because it's a SSD drive or because you have Win7 or Win8 installed, or because..........?

I know we had a discussion of this in another thread, but can't remember the reason it's important   Embarrassed .

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:10pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:03pm:
Is that selection because it's a SSD drive or because you have Win7 or Win8 installed, or because..........?

Because it's a SSD.

But even on my HDs, I use the 2048 sector aligned choice even though it doesn't provide a performance enhancement on a HD. I'm just used to it. I've stopped using cylinder aligned partitions.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:19pm

Brian wrote on Aug 8th, 2013 at 3:59pm:
There is no TRIM in WinXP so I'm not sure what happens long term

The latest BIBM, ver 1.20, allows you to TRIM partitions and unallocated Free Space on SSDs.

Quote:
The TRIM operation is used to notify the SSD drive of unused sectors within the selected partition area that it can use for itself.

1.   On the desktop, click Partition Work.
2.   Use the Bus drop-down to select BIOS (direct).
3.   In the Partitions list, select the partition or free space to which you wish to apply TRIM, then click Trim under Actions.
4.   Click Continue on the notice displayed and the TRIM procedure will be run (progress will be displayed). Click Close when finished.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #35 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 12:07am

@
Brian

I got the impression that the TRIM programming was automated in Win7 and Win8--nothing to set or do. 

So, if one is doing it manually, how often would that be recommended?

Any options for automations?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 12:16am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 12:07am:
I got the impression that the TRIM programming was automated in Win7 and Win8--nothing to set or do.

Correct. But you could use the BIBM TRIM on WinXP, perhaps weekly. Also you could TRIM when deleting a partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 1:41am

Another impressive feature in the latest IFW. The /wco switch.

Quote:
Use this option when restoring or copying to write only the changed sectors to the target drive (target will be read to compare). Useful in cases where a large portion of the data is the same and it’s desirable to reduce wear on the target drive (e.g. restoring image to SSD drive)

I'll be using this for all my restores to the SSD.

IP Logged

ITTech32
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #38 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 4:49am

I'm sure I was told that cloning from an HDD to an SSD was a bad idea...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 4:53am

@
ITTech32

Who told you that? It is a common practice now. Works perfectly if you know what you are doing.

If there is a large difference in drive sizes....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #40 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:16am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 1:41am:
Another impressive feature in the latest IFW. The /wco switch. 

The switch is only available with IFW?  Not IFD or IFL?

So, when restoring the OS on a SSD drive using IFW, I'm presuming you have to be booted to an alternate OS (i.e. WinPE).  Restoring an image and overwriting the *active* OS partition that is running IFW, just like the Windows based Ghost and Ghost32, is not allowed--correct?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 3:37pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:16am:
Not IFD or IFL?

You are correct. It's available for all three apps.

NightOwl wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:16am:
Restoring an image and overwriting the *active* OS partition that is running IFW, just like the Windows based Ghost and Ghost32, is not allowed--correct?

No, you can overwrite that partition. Say the OS partition contains 30 GB of data and 500 MB of data has changed in the last week. You have created a full backup last week and created a differential backup yesterday. If you restore the differential image without using /wco then 30 GB of data will be written to the drive.  If you restore using /wco then 500 MB of data will be written to the drive. People are still worried that SSDs will wear out due to too much writing to the drive even though "too much" may be decades away. This is the reason for the switch. The restore isn't any faster because 30 GB of data still has to be read to decide what has changed.

Did I misunderstand your question?

Quote:
I'm presuming you have to be booted to an alternate OS (i.e. WinPE).

Yes, a WinPE, IFD or IFL. Depending on your computer, one app may be faster than the others. In my current computer an IFW restore is slightly faster than an IFL restore. An IFD restore takes about 20% longer. Others have reported different figures.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #42 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:24am

@
Brian

Quote:
Did I misunderstand your question?

Hmmmm.....maybe.

Quote:
Restoring an image and overwriting the *active* OS partition that is running IFW

If one is running IFW from the SSD OS, and you wish to restore a previous image made of the OS of the SSD drive, you can not restore the image using that instance of IFW being run from the SSD OS--i.e. the OS the is currently in use.  (I think I threw you off with the phrase "*active* OS partition"--should have said *OS currently in use*.)

One would have to boot IFW from WinPE to restore that OS image to the SSD.

Did that make more sense?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 1:20pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:24am:
One would have to boot IFW from WinPE to restore that OS image to the SSD.

Yes. We're on the same page now.

Or use IFD/IFL. You can have IFW, IFD or IFL installed in their own partition on the HD so you can boot to that partition and run a restore of the Windows OS partition. A boot disk isn't needed except if you have a HD failure.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:13am

I did some tests with restoring a Win8 image. I used an app called SSDlife to determine how much data was being written to the SSD.

Restore without using /wco... 26.0 GB written.

Restore with using /wco.......... 0.2 GB written.

Less writes should be good for SSD longevity.

/wco was discussed in Reply #37.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print