Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 214568 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's
Reply #180 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 7:28pm

@
roxe

Let's try to install IDE drivers in view of IDE\DISKTOSHIBA_MK1246GSX___

Go to your TeraByte login download site and download...

TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite Pro V1.47

Unzip it and get back to us.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #181 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 10:12pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 10:37am:
yeah, but w7 is a more advanced animal than xp... it has drivers and stuff that xp doesn't have...

That's exactly my point--the WinXP driver(s) that you currently have installed are not working with the caddy.....but, Win7 is.....so it seems to be pointing at the driver(s) in WinXP more than at the BIOS....because the BIOS is recognizing the caddy according to one of your earlier posts....the drivers in WinXP are just not able to properly deal with the caddy.

roxe wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 3:19pm:
if the *trying to install new hardware* can't get the driver right, then having the hdd caddy in place while installing xp pro isn't going to work either...

right?? 

I would say that's probably correct.

Need to know what the motherboard's SATA controller is--that's most likely the needed driver--might come from Dell, or the SATA controller's manufacturer.  Is it on the south bridge chip?  What is the chipset maker for the OptiPlex?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #182 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 11:31am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 10:12pm:
Need to know what the motherboard's SATA controller is--that's most likely the needed driver--might come from Dell, or the SATA controller's manufacturer.Is it on the south bridge chip?What is the chipset maker for the OptiPlex? 

have a question... if the hdd caddy is NOT in at the time the chipset drivers are installed, is the driver going to install that part for the hdd caddy??

when an OS and drivers are installed, and there is no hardware for a certain part of the OS or drivers to install for... is that going to be installed anyway??

south bridge???  huh???

and if there is a south bridge, is there a north bridge, and an east and west bridge?? Shocked

Intel chipsets...

as for the BIOS... doesn't it hand off stuff to the OS??
and if the BIOS is old and doesn't hand off stuff correctly, wouldn't be prudent to update the BIOS to the latest version??

just cuz w7 sees it from the old bios, doesn't mean that that old bios is handing it off correctly, is it?

otherwise, why is w7 installing when each different hdd is put into the caddy??

hmmm... the only hdd in the cady that did NOT have an install by w7, is the hdd where i had installed w7 using the laptop...

also going into the partition work with each hdd i tested... the only hdd that did NOT have an 8mb partition at the beginning of each hdd... is the w7 install that i put on using the laptop... strange? or what?

i have 5 laptop sata hdd...
i have 8 3.5 sata hdd...

it's like when i got into this apt., i put all my coats and jackets into the hall closet... turns out there are NINE of them...

maybe i have a thing for jackets, coats, and hdd...

huh??? Wink Grin Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #183 - Oct 26th, 2013 at 9:25am

@
roxe

Using the Dell product link:

roxe wrote on Oct 5th, 2013 at 10:06pm:
If anyone is interested in seeing the computer we've been talking about, here is a link to the support page where you can click on the *manual* link and download the pdf file(s).
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/optiplex-755 

Clicking on the *Drivers and Downloads* tab, there's a category for *Chipset* drivers, and further down, a category for *Serial ATA*.

And, there's the downloads for BIOS updates as well.  Looking at the original release date for the product's BIOS release version (A01), 9/7/2007, gives us a time frame to consider for this system.  Current BIOS version available is A22, release date 1/4/2013.

You'll have to look things over to see what's up to date, and what's not.

I'm curious--when you installed WinXP on the OptiPlex, I'm presuming you did not have to use the F6 key to add HDD SATA controller drivers so you could access the SATA HDD during the installation process--you said you used nLite to add those drivers to the installation disk prior to installation--what driver(s) where those, version numbers, and from what source?

Looking at the product download page, I don't see a category for downloading a driver for adding it to a floppy disk to use when attempting to install a WinXP OS on the OptiPlex, and using the *F6* route--so I don't know if that's needed or not?!!!

I'm out of town until late next week, so I'll be going *dark* for awhile.  Have fun with all this!  I'll see you when I get back.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #184 - Oct 26th, 2013 at 4:13pm

@
roxe

Do you have any Free Space in the Extended Partition? No problem if you don't as we can create some. You can restore the TeraByte FreeDOS image to create a logical volume. Then edit config.sys and autoexec.bat. Copy in ctmouse.exe and ghost.exe. A few minutes job. BIBM will boot this logical volume and it loads straight into Ghost 2003.

Get ctmouse.exe from here....

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Download the Zip format of v1.9.1
Unzip it and you only need one file. ctmouse.exe (dated 01 June 2003)

Installing BIBM into a FreeDOS primary partition would be a much more involved process as you already have four primary partitions. Then you would have to setup all your boot items from scratch.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #185 - Oct 26th, 2013 at 11:38pm

@
NightOwl
@
Brian

please read carefully.... ok?

1. NightOwl, there are 106 related drivers for my opti on the dell website. under the heading *serial ata* there are 10 drivers... the very last one at the bottom of the list is the *pre-install* driver for AHCI... ver.7.8.0.1012, A12. date of 1/15/2008. i have the bios update drivers all ready... just waiting for the UPS unit to arrive.

2. Brian, i already have the mouse driver all configured into the cd i boot from for ghost... i've copied the files from the cd to my desktop and it comes to 1.32mb...

3. since i can image all my OSs in use... it won't be anything to image all the partitions in use so far and redo the 500gb drive... (i'd like to anyway to cement it into my brain how-to, cuz i wrote all your instructions down)

4. i'd like to put both bibm and ghost in the same primary partition at the beginning of the drive...
so how large a partition do i need to create there to put both in... 12mb, 16mb, or 20mb???

as for any tweaking of config and autoex.bat... don't have a clue for that or how-to...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #186 - Oct 27th, 2013 at 12:57am

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Oct 26th, 2013 at 11:38pm:
it won't be anything to image all the partitions in use so far and redo the 500gb drive

It's up to you if you want to do it the hard way. I'd resize the first partition 40 MB smaller and then Slide the first partition to the end of the Free Space just created. Then delete the BIBM partition. Now you will have about 50 MB of Free Space at the start of the drive. Restore the FAT32 FreeDOS image into this space. Next, install BIBM into the FreeDOS partition. Redo all the Boot Items in Boot Edit before booting any OS.

We are only going to use one file from your Ghost CD. Ghost.exe. None of the others are needed. The partition is FreeDOS, not MSDOS. I've suggested a 50 MB partition in case you want to add DOS apps at a later time. Or wallpaper background photos for BIBM. Better to have a little more space than not enough.

Has anyone from Dell told you which driver is necessary for WinXP? I guess not.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #187 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 11:10pm

@
Brian

hi... this project will need to wait for a little while, since it is getting cold here and I need to get my cold weather clothing altered and ready so I can keep warm. I'll check in once in awhile just to see what is going on.

And no, no one from Dell has even answered my post. No wonder one of the newbies posting asked them (well, really TOLD them) to be nice!

talkatchalater...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #188 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 1:40am

@
roxe

We are coming into summer. T-shirt and shorts today.

You have several options and as it is a project you could try them all. The first option I'd try is using FreeDOS and Ghost in a logical volume. The entire job can be completed in less than 5 minutes. Very simple.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print