Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 213537 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3 OS's
Reply #60 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:59pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 4:17pm:
Well, checking out the manual I downloaded... it states that there are two more caddies that fit where the DVD caddy is... one for a floppy... and one for a hdd... 

Can you provide a link to the model Optiplex you are working on?

So, there is one SATA port that allows you to connect to an internal SATA HDD.  And then there is a component *bay* that allows for different devices to be added or exchange for other devices.  And that bay is wired/designed to accept an optical DVD drive, floppy drive, or HDD.  Does the bay accept *generic* devices, or are they specifically designed to be used with the Optiplex only.  I can see where a SATA optical drive and SATA HDD could have the same layout for connecting the communication cable and power cable, but seems like the floppy drive would not use the same SATA connection components.

Any chance that the communication cable and/or the power cable is *plugged* into the back of the bay, and could be re-routed to a mounted internal HDD?  Or, is the bay a hardwired device and accepts only proprietary components?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dell-optiplex-hard-drive-caddy

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #61 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 12:19am

@
roxe

Could I suggest you have one attempt to copy your current Win7 to the Optiplex. It will only take half an hour and there is no stress as I'll tell you what to do. If it doesn't work, no big deal as we'll just delete the partition.

The process starts with booting from the IFL CD and imaging the Win7 partition in the laptop to a USB external HD. Then booting from the IFL CD in the Optiplex and running TBID Tool in the IFL dock. The Tool will run the restore (using the image on the external HD) and strip the drivers from the restored OS before getting you to exit IFL and boot the OS. After Win7 loads it will run "Installing device driver software" for a few minutes and then requests a restart. Your Win7 is now fully operational although you may need to install a few custom drivers at your leisure. Or maybe no custom drivers. All your old installed programs will work. All your tweaks will be present. That won't happen with a clean install.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #62 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 5:06am

To create an image and write the image to a USB external HD... Using IFL

Backup
Full Backup
Linux
ATA ..... (sda)
select the Win7 partition (tick in the box)
File Direct
Linux
select your USB HD. It will be last in the list (probably sdb with a laptop)
select partition on USB
select folder on USB and give the image a name (or accept the default name)
leave the ticks in Omit Page File Data, Omit Hibernation Data and Log Results to File
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
Compression  Enhanced Speed - A   (don't use Standard)
File Size Max
Start

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #63 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 4:08pm

Restoring a Win7 image to dissimilar hardware.....

Boot IFL
Exit the IFL gui
click the TBID Tool icon (next to IFL)
Select a TBI Image File to restore and press Enter (you have to use your keyboard for this app)
Mount a Partition as Drive 1
select the partition on the external HD that contains the image
select the folder
select the image
confirm the partition to restore
On the Select Destination screen, select the target partition on HD0 where you will restore the image
Don't install driver, continue to next step
Don't change HAL
Remove existing drivers except for IDE/AHCI drivers
Enter a Computer name (your choice)
Enter a Volume name (your choice)
Press Enter to continue
Yes for the Warning (the mouse now works)
(you can practice the above steps several times and as long as you don't click "Yes" nothing will happen. Just click "No" to exit)
you will see the image being restored
you will see Backing-up System registry and Software registry
you will see cleaning drivers (except IDE/AHCI ones)
Press Enter to continue
Enter for Operation completed
right click the IFL desktop and click Reboot, Yes
Win7 loads (large icons seen)
Installing device driver software seen (click the balloon)
after a few minutes you will see "Your device is ready to use" and the Restart Now request
Win7 loads with the correct screen resolution and is ready to go
check Device Manager to see if any devices need custom drivers

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #64 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 9:48pm

Here are the two pictures... top and bottom.
The ejector button is in the open position to pull it out of the machine.

As you are looking at the top picture... the ejector button is at the bottom right... and the connection to the computer is at the top right...

If it doesn't look like that... then it won't work.

top.jpg (26 KB | 577 )
top.jpg
bottom.jpg (27 KB | 602 )
bottom.jpg

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #65 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 9:52pm

OK. Why do you think the enclosure I posted won't work? I haven't bought one so I don't know either but some users say they will work in any SATA optical bay.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #66 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 9:59pm

@
Brian

In reply #55, I answered why it won't work...

Quote:
This caddy needs to have an ejector button on the right hand side of it in order to pop it right out... the button fits flush, and only needs to be pressed in and then it pops out and the caddy can be slid out of the slot... plus it doesn't use any screws to hold it in the computer.... but it does have something in the caddy to screw the hdd to... PLUS it must have the same connector on it in the same exact position or it won't work... the caddy slides into the connector... so it has to be in the same place as the dvd drive I pictured.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #67 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 10:01pm

Mine looks like the connector is in a different place too. Not good.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #68 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 10:06pm

@
Brian

Thanks for the instructions... I'll copy them down... but it will be awhile before I get the optiplex up and running... have to figure out what the warning lights and the beeps mean... and see what all needs to be done to fix it... and I may not want to take the time and $$ to get it running if it's too bad....after all,  it was thrown away for a reason... so it may require more than I want to deal with.  Am looking at refurbished ones on ebay...

So please be patient with me... I don't move as fast as I used to...

And thank you very much for teaching me how to post pictures Smiley
--------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is interested in seeing the computer we've been talking about, here is a link to the support page where you can click on the *manual* link and download the pdf file(s).
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/optiplex-755

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #69 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 10:17pm

@
roxe

I was thinking along the same lines about that Optiplex. Having a computer with two internal HDs is the aim.

Take your time. At least you know that restoring your old OS to a different computer isn't a difficult procedure. Or Multi-Booting either. You can play around with the BIBM and IFL CDs on your laptop while you are researching the new computer. Use IFL to create images of each OS. In my computers, IFL is faster than IFW or IFD. The IFL CD is amazing in what it can do. Not that this is relevant but it can restore images over a wireless network. Fun but impractical.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #70 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 11:20pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:59pm:
Or, is the bay a hardwired device and accepts only proprietary components?

Yes... any caddies for that bay must be exactly like the picture above... that connector on the top of the picture slides into the matching connection slot in the computer...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #71 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 11:55am

@
roxe

Quote:
any caddies for that bay must be exactly like the picture above... that connector on the top of the picture slides into the matching connection slot in the computer...

Right, but I guess I didn't ask my question better so you understood....

So, there's the caddy--as you have pictured above.  There must be a *similar* caddy that will hold a 2.5 HDD inside it instead of an optical drive.  The caddy will be hardwired internally to the connectors on its backside that plug into the connectors that are inside the *bay*.

So, my question was not about the *caddy*--it is about the *bay*.  Somehow, the internal connectors of the *bay* that receive the connectors of the *caddy* have to be connected to the motherboard.  Either they are connected via a communication cable and power cable that attach to the motherboard, or the *bay* is soldered directly to the motherboard and there are no cables running from the bay to the motherboard.

If there are cables running from the back side of the bay to the motherboard, then possibly those connectors could be used on a second internal HDD.  If no cables, then you have to find a compatible caddy that allows you to insert a HDD into the caddy, and then plug that caddy into the bay.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #72 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 10:47pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Oct 6th, 2013 at 11:55am:
If there are cables running from the back side of the bay to the motherboard, then possibly those connectors could be used on a second internal HDD.If no cables, then you have to find a compatible caddy that allows you to insert a HDD into the caddy, and then plug that caddy into the bay. 

One optiplex turns on when plugged in... but it shuts right off... probably a mobo problem... so that is the one I take apart and see how things work.

The caddy bay is soldered to the underside of the mobo... no cables...  Sad

I measured the thickness of the caddy... 14mm... I'm in the process of taking one apart to see how things are inside (I was given TWO more of the DVD caddies... made sure that the giver knows that I'm looking for a hdd caddy... and desribed it - so will see)

This is turning out to be a more involved project than I expected... shoot, I'd already have a case, mobo and all parts etc, and have it all together by now if I was building one. Smiley

But, it's small... and kinda cute (but not as cute as a Libby!)

Oh well.......
I've used an external hdd with a usb connection for so long it doesn't really bother me when it takes over 20 minutes to image a partition...  that's nothing compared to a couple days or a whole week reinstalling and doing all the tweaks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #73 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:53pm

See you in a week. I'll be fishing in Weipa.

S12° 39.5'  E141° 50.3'

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #74 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 10:27am

@
Brian

Wish I could join you--looks like fun!

Is the fishing in the estuary, Albatross Bay, or do you go out on the open ocean?

For anyone who's interested, here's where he's *gone fishin'*:

Back out the *zoom* to get the *big picture* of the location.

Weipa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print