Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3, or more OS's (Read 213509 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Using TeraByte's BIBM to MultiBoot 3 OS's
Reply #90 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 2:42pm

@
roxe

Sorry, but you are going to need two computers for this project as there will be questions and answers needed at various stages. It can't be done from a single post. Too complex.

roxe wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 12:52pm:
0) how big will the bibm partition be?8mb??

6 to 8 MB

Quote:
how to create partitions

In BIBM select the Free Space, click Create. Name, NTFS, Size, OK. Don't use Location or Options.

Quote:
which partition will be the *active* one??

You don't have to manually make any partition Active. BIBM does this from the Boot Menu.

Quote:
I want each OS in its *own* partition...

Yes.

Quote:
I want to put xppi on the first partition after bibm... then w7pro... then the extended drive...

Yes.

Quote:
do I need to know how many logicals I want and what size they will be?   or can I wait to size out and image the first five of the logicals *after* getting the OSs in #4 done?

We'll setup the three OS first. Then you can decide how many extra logical volumes you need. At that stage you will have Win7 already in a logical volume.

Quote:
can I use my ghost CD for imaging?

Yes. Later you could use BIBM Disk Imaging if you desire.

Quote:
I need to know how to *go into* and use the boot mgr to put my OSs in the start order after imaging them... so I can choose which one to boot up... (xppi to be the *default* one if no choice is made)

Later.

Quote:
how to hide all the other OSs not being used after one is chosen... but leave the data logicals be seen for each OS...

Later.

We'll do this in stages. First install BIBM and let me know it is working. Next comes restoring WinXP and setting up Boot Edit for WinXP. Boot Edit for WinXP will need to be edited after the other OS are restored.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #91 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 3:16pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 2:42pm:
Quote:
I want to put xppi on the first partition after bibm... then w7pro... then the extended drive...

Yes.

first on the drive will be bibm
2nd on the drive will be xppi - the one I'm using now
3rd on the drive will be w7pro
last on the drive will be the extended, with several flavors of xp pro and data logicals in it

which is what I stated above in the quote and you said *yes* to...

I don't want to touch doing the logicals until the first three primaries are done... OK??

again, the first three I want are...

1) bibm
2) xp pro internet (xppi)
3) w7pro...

*then* the extended comes last...

why do you want to put w7pro in a logical drive??

why can't I have it in the third primary??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #92 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 3:31pm

@
roxe

A misunderstanding.

Quote:
first on the drive will be bibm
2nd on the drive will be xppi - the one I'm using now
3rd on the drive will be w7pro
last on the drive will be the extended, with several flavors of xp pro and data logicals in it

No problems.

Quote:
again, the first three I want are...

1) bibm
2) xp pro internet (xppi)
3) w7pro...

Easy.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #93 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 3:32pm

@
Dan Goodell

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 18th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
I've never seen that red line you mentioned, but it sounds like W7 is telling you something's amiss.I'd start by rechecking your DiskIDs and [MountedDevices].

Found out by googling *w7pro red bar* that the red color means there is less than 10% free space on the drive... which doesn't bother me since the drive is full of .vob videos... and won't need room for defragging.

Tried again to boot into xp with the 2nd hdd in the bay, and it got to the xp screen and the little blue worm kept going and going... couldn't get into the OS at all...

With the drive in, the boot sequence is:

1. onboard or usb cdrom dr... np (not present)
2. Sata0-WDC WD500 3ABYX-01WERA2
3. onboard SATA hdd... np
4. onboard or usb floppy dr... np
5. onboard network controller... np
6. usb device... np
7. Sata1 - V4-CT128V4SSD2

In the module bay section the factory default is *on*
and down below is:

Drive details:
* Controller = Serial ATA
* Drive ID    = V4-CT128V4SSD2
* Capacity   = 128 GB
* BIOS        = This drive is controlled by the AHCI BIOS

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #94 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 3:36pm

@
Brian

Ok... if I have to... I'll go get the laptop down from that high shelf... just hope I don't fall doing this... it was scary getting it up there...

plug your ears while I'm doing this... don't want you to hear way over there while this is going on...  Wink

BRB... i hope

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #95 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 4:25pm

NightOwl wrote:
    If you wonder through the User Manual at the link roxe gave [...] there is a *Front View* of the usff case which shows an optical drive bay. [...] So, I think roxe has it right.

Ah, I guess I missed that.

Dan Goodell wrote:
    Dell's support website only provides XP/Vista drivers for that model, no 2K or 7 drivers

roxe wrote:
    Going into the drivers for my 0-755, and choosing all the drivers, the same two chipset drivers that I used for xp pro sp3 do support w7 (per Dell), cuz I used them in w7pro to take care of the two PCI missing drivers.

Yes, it's not unusual for Vista drivers and even XP drivers to work in Win7 in some situations. My point was that seeing what Dell officially supports on their website we can get a general idea of the vintage of the machine, from which we can extrapolate what kind of USB support is provided by the BIOS.

Dan Goodell wrote:
    Since it's just another SATA connection, XP should have no trouble seeing the caddy's HDD.I wonder if maybe it's some issue with the disk signatures?Did you clear the [MountedDevices] registry key when you cloned?Was the DiskID copied to the SSD?Does the second HDD show up in Disk Management, perhaps without any drive letters?

roxe wrote:
    HUH????You lost me there... I explained in my answer to NightOwl that my first n-lited xp pro I had removed all the iomega, zip and other removable devices... so I redid the n-lite leaving them in... and now need to retry and see if xp pro can see it...

Clearing the [MountedDevices] key is a good habit to get into, especially if you're going to be imaging one partition and restoring it to a different place on the same system.  That way, Windows doesn't carry over a memory of the location where it was when the image was made.

The screenshot below shows how to do that.  Simply highlight everything in your [MountedDevices] key and delete it. Windows will rebuild with the new, location-specific entries the next time it boots, so make your image before rebooting Windows.

(Aside: W and X are my CD/DVD drives, so I optionally leave them be just to save me the trouble of reassigning them to those letters after a reboot, but there's no harm if you delete them as well.)

Little late now, but FTR it's easy getting XP installed without having to resort to the nlite'ing hassle.  Just install in legacy/ATA mode first, then use the driver you downloaded to switch to AHCI mode after installation. Details are in several places around the 'net, such as here. I've used this method on occasion, and it's simple and it works.

FWIW, here's how my laptop is configured:

250GB SSD:
    primary: 100MB for BING and DOS
    primary: 60GB Win7
    primary: 60GB Win8
    extended logical: 20GB XP
    extended logical: 80GB common Data partition

750GB HDD in media bay:
    primary: spare in case I want to make a temporary copy of one of the SSD partitions
    primary: common Data, including images of each SSD partition

Virtualized:
    2K virtual machine for scanning/OCR
    XP virtual machine for secure/important internet
    XP virtual machine for insecure/risky internet
    DOS virtual machine for testing
    2K virtual machine for testing
    XP virtual machine for testing
    W7 virtual machine for testing
    Ubuntu virtual machine for testing

(And for the question Brian and NightOwl are going to ask: yes, all SSD partitions are MB-aligned, including the DOS partition. DOS doesn't seem to care.)

mounteddevices.png (147 KB | 566 )
mounteddevices.png

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #96 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:03pm

Dan,

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 18th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
but there's a couple things in BING I like better so I continue to use it instead

Just curious. What are these features?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #97 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:51pm

@
Dan Goodell

Dan Goodell wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 4:25pm:
Yes, it's not unusual for Vista drivers and even XP drivers to work in Win7 in some situations. My point was that seeing what Dell officially supports on their website we can get a general idea of the vintage of the machine, from which we can extrapolate what kind of USB support is provided by the BIOS.

Well, going in under my 755 service tag... and choosing all the drivers, going into chipset and looking at what OSs are supported, Dell states that those two chipset drivers are supported for w7... so that's why I felt comfortable using them.

Did you clear the [MountedDevices] registry key when you cloned?

I didn't clone anything... it is a fresh clean install in the 500gb hdd in the optiplex for both w7 and xp.

Was the DiskID copied to the SSD?

I don't understand what you are saying...
The SSD has one extended - one logical partition on it...(i didn't know how to format it without putting it that way... wanted to format it like a flash drive)... which holds DVD videos, as full as I could get it (hence the red bar)...
and it is in the 2nd hdd caddy that XP now refuses to even let me go past the little blue worm.

I prefer using n-lite, cuz I remove lots of things I don't want on the install... like that stupid little dog... and I added in all the security updates etc., which saved lots of time online.

At least I can see the SSD drive in w7...

Still don't know why XP won't let me passed the blue worm... got any more ideas??

The manual says that a USB stick can be used to install xp pro... I tried but wouldn't boot... there are seven USB slots... plus the adjustments in the BIOS...

Then I could have the 2nd hdd caddy with hdd in the bay while I'm installing the OS... but can't figure out how to make it boot using a USB stick...

And if that works, it's no problem getting a DVD Rom to work after the install...

But first I'd need to know how to make the install USB stick... I have FlashBoot... but it's difficult understanding that manual for it.

Or is there another way to make a bootable flash drive for installing?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #98 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:54pm

@
Brian

Ok... sorry to take so long... had to defrag and image xppi... so I wouldn't lose it when deleting the partitions...

Partitions are all deleted - back to Free Space, installed it on the hdd (500gb in opti) and ready for the next step...

oh, problem!! how do I get the screen resolution smaller when in bibm on the hdd... it goes off the edges and can't see stuff very well...

edit: problem solved... used the help menu!!

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #99 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:59pm

@
Brian

oh yes, checking in partition work, 8mb EMBRM
476930mb Free Space

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #100 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 6:05pm

@
roxe

roxe wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:54pm:
h, problem!! how do I get the screen resolution smaller when in bibm on the hdd... it goes off the edges and can't see stuff very well...

Try this. Edit, Display Settings, dot in 800x600x64K.

I hope it's not a BIOS issue.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #101 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 6:06pm

@
Dan Goodell

Clearing the [MountedDevices] key is a good habit to get into, especially if you're going to be imaging one partition and restoring it to a different place on the same system.That way, Windows doesn't carry over a memory of the location where it was when the image was made.

Is that path the same in xp pro and w7???

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #102 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 6:09pm

On the left side of your monitor Resume is the top icon and Run is at the bottom.

On the right side of your monitor Help is the top icon and Reboot is at the bottom.

At the very bottom you should see Registered To: and the Time.

At the very top you should see BootIt Bare Metal 1.20.

Edit... You might need to use your monitor's "Fit to screen" setting. Or monitor "Auto-adjust".

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #103 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 6:11pm

@
Brian

no i used help to figure it out,,, and it works much better now...

ready to get this going... ok??

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #104 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 6:13pm

@
Brian

yep, my screen looks just like you described...

and the resolution is just fine now...

lets get going... please

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print