Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Win8.1 and Ghost (Read 22587 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Win8.1 and Ghost
Jan 12th, 2014 at 4:35pm

Just a few observations about cold images.

Using Symantec System Recovery 2013. A cold image of Win8.1 can be created but can't be restored as the image isn't seen in the recovery environment. A cold image of Win8 can be created and restored.

Using Ghost 2003. A cold image of Win8.1 can be created and restored.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Win8.1 and Ghost
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 6:04am

(Because of the hacking and forum restore back to a couple days ago, the posts I'm quoting below have been erased.  FWIW, I always surf with scripting turned off so I never noticed any problem or slowdown from the hacking.  Anyway, Brian had posted about his experiments with v2003 and a friend with a Microsoft-style 7/8 dualboot.)

Quote:
Ghost 2003 in Partition to Image and Partition from Image works fine. Disk to Image and Disk from Image doesn't work because Ghost restores the partitions as cylinder aligned. 

Was Win8 generalized in your experiment?  I think it should work if Win8 is generalized.

Quote:
(re: Microsoft-style Win7/8 dualboot)
The Win7 BCD was generalized.
A Ghost 2003 Disk to Image and Disk from Image was performed.
Win7 booted but Win8.1 didn't.

That makes sense to me.

Presuming the original install was to MB-aligned partitions, the "Disk from Image" with Ghost 2003 would reposition the disk's partitions to be cylinder-aligned, right?  Being generalized, the restored Win7 wouldn't care about partition location.

Win8, however, would not be generalized (I don't see how it could be in a Microsoft dualboot) so its BCD entry would be dependent on partition location, and that got changed by the "Disk from Image" operation.  After the Ghost restore BIBM's BCD editor should show "Unknown" for Win8's partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:34pm

@
Dan Goodell

My friend is repeating the test with his Microsoft dual boot and hopefully I can provide more information. There was a BIBM entry for Win 8.1 and this edit was performed....

Quote:
In Partition Work select Win7 and click BCD Edit
Menu radio button will have a dot
Select Win8.1 and click Edit. The properties of the selected item will appear in a new window.
Select the Device entry from the list of Properties and then click the Edit button .  The Edit window appears.
In the upper Type drop-down list, select HD 0.
In the lower Type drop-down list, select the Win8.1 partition
Click OK in the Edit window.  You will be returned to the window showing the properties of Win8.1

Select the OS Device entry from the list of Properties and then click the Edit button .  The Edit window appears.
Click OK in the Edit window.  You will be returned to the window showing the properties of Win8.1
When done, click Close to return to the BCD Edit window.
Click Close

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:52pm

Brian wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:34pm:

Yeah, it's at that point where I think the restored BCD will initially show "HD 0" and "unknown" instead of "HD 0" and "Win 8.1".

Of course BIBM's BCD editor can correct that, but I think if the original had been "{boot}" instead of "HD 0" then no BCD repair would be needed upon restoration.  I don't think anything changed in 8 vs. Win7 in that regard.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 6:42pm

@
Dan Goodell

Before creating the Ghost 2003 Disk to Image he did this....

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot      
bcdedit /set {default} device boot         
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot      
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device boot   

Then did a Disk from Image. Win7 booted but Win8.1 didn't. Do you know of any BCD edits he could try before creating the Disk to Image that would enable Win8.1 to boot without needing a repair?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 1:44am

Brian wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 6:42pm:
Do you know of any BCD edits he could try before creating the Disk to Image that would enable Win8.1 to boot without needing a repair?

I don't do Disk Images so can't speak from experience, though I don't see why it should be any different from Partition Images when the OS is generalized.

I used BIBM's BCD editor to generalize the Win8 partition on my HDD rather than bcdedit.  After that I used Ghost 2003 to image/restore that partition to a new partition on my SSD, and the copy booted right up without needing a repair.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 4:37pm

As my friend had to use a BIBM BCD Edit anyway, he dispensed with generalizing the BCD and ran a BCD Edit on each OS after the Disk from Image. Both OS booted.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:37pm

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 4:35pm:
A cold image of Win8.1 can be created but can't be restored as the image isn't seen in the recovery environment.

In one of the *lost postings* due to the site being hacked and later restored--you had posted a workaround solution to this problem--would you kindly re-post the answer to this problem?

I remember the solution--so this question--can one tell the image browsing to list *all files* (like you can do when browsing files in Windows' based programs that are looking for a specific extension), and does the image file then show up?  And if it shows up, can it be loaded?  Or, does it have to have that redundant extension added before it will work correctly with the backup software?  (If the file is manually brought up in a file manager program, can it be *renamed* with the extension to make it usable?)

Just some house keeping questions--thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:09pm

@
NightOwl

In the SSR 2013 Recovery Environment, an image of Win8.1 is created without a .v2i file extension. So it's not found when SSR searches for .v2i files. As you suspected, selecting All Files does locate the image but it can't be used. You can add the file extension with a file manager and the image will then be usable.

When running through the wizard prior to creating the image you can add .v2i to the suggested filename and a correctly named image will be created. During image creation you will see a double extension .v2i.v2i but the final image will be correctly named.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 8:35pm

In my old age, I have one thing left and that's the desire and ability to perform experiments.
It's even best when I can use my years of experience to help someone.

So, tonight I ran a Ghost 11.5 backup of a brand new install of Windows 8.1/Pro/32, on an 80GB SATA II hard drive, and saved the backup Image File to a 30 GB IDE hard drive.

Immediately following the backup, I restored the new image file to the 80 GB SATA II hard drive.

In fear and trepidation and with fingers crossed, I booted up the 9 yr old PC and VOILA, it booted up without any problem at all.  So the Ghost backup of Windows 8.1 and the following restore went off like clockwork..... using Ghost 11.5, booted up with a DOS boot CD.
It looks and runs exactly like Ghost 2003, but it's too large to fit on a floppy disk....ergo the Boot CD.

I did a Google search one day, for Ghost 11.5 and found an ISO of the boot CD.  Amazing what's floating around out there.
I still remember the day, that Nigel said on this very forum that Ghost 11.5 does not exist.
Well, so much for that.  Eh? 

Cheers Mates!
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 3:06am

@
Kevin Maria

Do use Ghost with Win8.1?

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 4:57pm

Yes!

Ghost 11.5 is the only backup program that I need for XP, Vista, Win-7, Win-8, and Win-8.1

It works just as well for 8.1 as it did for XP.

I've even tried out Windows 10, over 8.1.  It sucked!  A quick Ghost restore of Win-8.1 did the trick.
I won't be trying Windows 10 again.

happy Holidays!

Old Casper, the friendly Ghost

Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print