Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to use a S&R Image on a New HD? (Read 11655 times)
MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

How to use a S&R Image on a New HD?
Mar 27th, 2014 at 11:55pm

Greetings All,  It's been ages since I was last here.  This time I'm trying to restore a Save & Restore (Version2) Image of my C drive to and New blank formatted drive.  This is an old XP machine and what I'm trying to do is restore an old, relatively clean image of my XP C drive to a new HD  that has been cleaned and formatted.  I want this drive to be bootable and want to update it with the lastest updates for Win XP before the support expires in April.

I tried installing the clean HD into my old computer, booting it with the S&R disk and "restoring the old image of C I made back in early 2012 but the new C drive will not boot.  Any ideas on how I can accomplish this. 

Thanks Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: How to use a S&R Image on a New HD?
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 1:26am

@
MacKenrick

Welcome back.

Quick questions. What error do you see when the new HD doesn't boot? How many partitions were on the old HD?

Do you just want to keep the new HD as a spare or is there something wrong with the old HD?

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 1:55am

Hi Brian, Wow it's been a long time.  Hope you are well.  To answer your questions, I think it said it couldn't find a bootable drive. 
The new HD has two partitions (first one is about 50 gigs and the second about 100 gigs).  Both are formatted and were empty.  I put the new HD into this computer (jumpered as the primary) and booted it with the S&R boot CD.  I then used S&R to restore an older image of C to the first partition.  I can see all the files on the first partition but it won't boot from that partition.

What I am trying to do is put one of the first S&R images I made for this XP computer on to an old hard drive that I have cleaned up, partitioned into two drives and formatted.  I then want to make the drive bootable so I can get online and "Update" WinXP before MS stops it's support of XP in April.  I'll then put that HD away in case I need it in the future.

Basically I want a reasonably clean copy of Win XP with the most current updates and I want it on a Hard Drive in case I want to install it on another computer or install it on a dual boot system.  I've got some very old programs that will only run on XP.

I know it sounds kind of strange but I just want a bootable copy of the most up to date Windows XP.

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 2:03am

Mac,

I remember our times together.

MacKenrick wrote on Mar 28th, 2014 at 1:55am:
I think it said it couldn't find a bootable drive.

Can you post the exact message?

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 4:54pm

Hi Brian, sorry for the late reply but while trying to work on the XP machine, I somehow really screwed it up to the point where it quit working all together.  I was trying to partition and format an older HD to put a clean copy of XP on it as I explained earlier but somehow in the process I managed to delete erase both partitions on my second HD on the machine and somehow managed to screw up the C drive also so that Ghost can't find the C drive to make an image of it.  I spent 8 hours yesterday, trying different things to get it to work again but ended up installing an image I made of it in Oct. 2013.  (All my current images were on the second drive that now shows it's empty).  Luckily I backed up most of my data on a WD passport drive, so I didn't loose too much stuff.  It's just going to be a pain updating everything and adding the new programs, etc. on the new C drive.

Back to your question.  The original screen said "Load Error.  Press a key to reboot.

Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press enter.

For some reason it didn't want to boot from what I thought was the new C drive that I had restored the SnR image to.  Is there something I needed to do to make it a bootable drive?

I think I have lot of work ahead of me.  The strange thing is that I have done this before by restoring an image to another drive a it has booted up fine.

Mack

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2014 at 7:13pm

Mac,

MacKenrick wrote on Mar 30th, 2014 at 4:54pm:
The original screen said "Load Error.Press a key to reboot.

Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press enter.

Sounds like the BIOS couldn't find the boot drive. Strange.

MacKenrick wrote on Mar 30th, 2014 at 4:54pm:
I managed to delete erase both partitions on my second HD

If the partitions were simply deleted without further manipulation you should be able to undelete the partitions.

At least your Ghost image from last year restored and booted OK.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print