Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to speed up ghost 12 transfer rate? (Read 26763 times)
shanti
N00b

I Love Radified!

how to speed up ghost 12 transfer rate?
Dec 10th, 2014 at 4:52am

Hello everybody,
I just registered and I'm new to this community, so first I'd like to say hello.
I have Ghost 12 and my problem is transfer speed during disk to disk copy via USB, it is always around 500-550 mb/min, I have tried both versions 32&64 bit but the result is the same.
I also tried to copy over usb 3.0 but the speed is the same, I didn't try via eSata yet but I think Ghost is not using windows driver to access the disks,
I tried with various disk access switches like FFI FFX FFS but no luck so far.
Is there any way to improve transfer rate?
Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: how to speed up ghost 12 transfer rate?
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 1:41am

@
shanti

Welcome to Radified!

Need some clarification on your question--your post has several statements that have conflicting information.

shanti wrote on Dec 10th, 2014 at 4:52am:
I have Ghost 12

So, Ghost 12 is a Windows based consumer Ghost version--you run it under Windows and do *hot* imaging while Windows is active.

I tried with various disk access switches like FFI FFX FFS

But, those switches are command line switches that are used with one of the DOS based Ghost programs--so do not apply to Ghost 12!  See this reference:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130961

my problem is transfer speed during disk to disk copy via USB, it is always around 500-550 mb/min

That sounds about right for USB 2.0--actual speed varies depending on one's motherboard and CPU speeds.  If your motherboard has a USB 3.0 controller, DOS Ghost's USB support is probably USB 2.0 at best--probably has never been updated to use USB 3.0 controllers.

I didn't try via eSata yet but I think Ghost is not using windows driver to access the disks

Ghost 12 would be using the Windows drivers, but if it's one of the DOS based Ghost versions, then no, Ghost would not be using Windows drivers.

But, eSATA is using one of your motherboard's SATA controllers--it lets you use your external HDD as if it were an internal HDD.  So, that should offer the same speeds that you would get if the eSATA HDD was installed internally--usually much faster than USB 2.0.

I also tried to copy over usb 3.0 but the speed is the same

If you are using Ghost 12, that might have pre-dated USB 3.0--so it may not offer anything except USB 2.0 speeds.  I'm not sure if Ghost 12 will use USB 3.0 if Windows can access the USB drive using USB 3.0 speeds.  I have never used Ghost 12 personally, so I don't know for sure about this--so I'm guessing.  Maybe Brian can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

So, clarify--are you using Ghost 12 that runs under Windows.  Or, are you using one of the DOS versions of Ghost?

And does your motherboard have a USB 3.0 controller, and are you using a USB 3.0 USB drive?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

shanti
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:23am

@NightOwl, thanks for your reply.
I'll try to clarify and to better explain my situation:
I have two dos executables of Ghost, 32&64 bit, stated version is "12.0.0.4112", that's why I said I have Ghost 12 but clearly it is not.
I have Symantec Encryption Desktop and some disks fully encrypted and Ghost seems to be the only software (when ran from Windows) to recognize them unencrypted.
My goal is to do a disk2disk copy from an encrypted disk to an unencrypted one skipping the bootsector, which I can do just fine actually with this version of Ghost with the help of various switches,
but it just takes too long so I though maybe there was a way to improve the transfer rate, changing disk access method or just changing the technology in use (so usb3.0 instead of usb2.0 or eSata, etc...)
I hope it's more clear now, I'm open to any suggestion, I could change software too if necessary but Ghost is good 'cause it is also scriptable.

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:04pm

@
shanti

Have you tried running ghost32.exe or ghost64.exe  in the Symantec WinPE? It should support USB3.

Are you using Ghost in DOS?

IP Logged

shanti
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 5:18am

@
Brian

I'm using both versions on Windows only due to the encryption software drivers, it is a pain to create a WinPE image with those integrated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 2:22pm

@
shanti

I tried ghost64.exe in Windows (using VSS and Fast Compression) to make an image of the Win8.1 OS partition on a SSD. I don't have any custom USB3 drivers. Imaging speed to an internal HD and to an external USB3 HD was the same. 4000 MB/min.

For a WinPE I just used Win8.1 on a USB flash drive and ran ghost64.exe from the flash drive. Imaging speed to the external USB3 HD was 4200 MB/min.

I was creating images, not doing a disk to disk copy, but I wonder if this makes a difference. What is your imaging speed? Which OS are you using?

I tried Image for Linux from a USB flash drive and the image creation speed to create an image of the Win8.1 OS partition to the USB3 external HD was 5400 MB/min. (image size divided by time)

Edit.... Different computer without a SSD or USB3 ports. Just USB2. Win10 OS.
Imaging speed in Windows and in Win8.1 WinPE to a USB external HD was 1900 MB/min.

Edit... Same computer as above; no SSD or USB3 ports. Win7 OS.
Imaging speed in Windows to a USB external HD was 1900 MB/min.

Why do our results differ?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 10:37pm

@
shanti

shanti wrote on Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:23am:
I have two dos executables of Ghost, 32&64 bit, stated version is "12.0.0.4112"

Ok--I didn't have my *corporate* Ghost version hat on--so I misspoke.

Ghost32.exe and Ghost64.exe are not DOS executables (ghost.exe would be the DOS executable).  They will not run under DOS--they must be run under Windows or WinPE--they're special and run only in a *command window* environment.  They are the equivalent to the corporate DOS version, but they have been ported to work only under Windows--but not in the same sense as the consumer Ghost 12 version--a totally different program.

I'm curious--who or what has stated that the version is "12.0.0.4112".  Because Ghost32 and Ghoat64 are actually Windows based programs, you can use any File Manager program and right mouse click on the executable, that should bring up a menu that should allow you to select *properties*, and that popup box should have a *version* tab.  What version does that bring up?

The last version I was aware of was 11.5.xxxx.  But, it's always possible that Symantec has started using version 12 for their corporate versions of Ghost.  In the past, they did not overlap version numbers between the corporate versions and the consumer versions--they either came up with a different name or skipped to the next available number.  But, consumer versions of Ghost are no longer being produced--so they may have dropped that self imposed ban.

So, I'd be interested in knowing what that version tab shows.

Thanks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 10:49pm

NightOwl,

Do a Google search for...

Ghost 12.0.0.4112

The first link is a Yo Ho Ho download.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 11:01pm

@
Brian

Gee...I got *datahostfile.com*--whoever that is!

Quote:
The first link is a Yo Ho Ho download.

Or, is that a reference to your favorite *pirate* song?!

Still interested in what the actual file version is.

How about this link:  http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-convert-gho-file-vhd-file-use-microsof...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 11:18pm

@
NightOwl

Quote:
Gee...I got *datahostfile.com*--whoever that is!

That's the Yo Ho Ho site.

I'd never heard of the ver 12 file either.

IP Logged

shanti
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:15am

@
NightOwl,
the version I posted is the one shown in the first screen of the software, I confirm that the version reported on the file properties is the same.
In the link you posted to Brian is decribed the same version , I have the linux binary too, I think we "won" this Ghost when we set up the Altiris server in the company some time ago.

@
Brian
I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64.
I'm not cloning from internal hd to usb, just usb3 to usb3, that's the main speed difference.
I'll do some image creation tests as soon as possible and I'll let you know the results.

Thank you all

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 3:14pm

@
shanti

Just some more numbers for what it's worth. How they relate to your system remains to be seen.

In a WinPE, Ghost64.exe Disk to Disk. SSD to internal HD. 3000 MB/min.

Image for Linux. Disk to Disk. SSD to internal HD. 6000 MB/min.

In a WinPE, Ghost64.exe image creation (not Disk to Disk). USB3 HD to USB3 HD. 2400 MB/min.

You have encrypted disks and I don't. Should that make a difference to Ghost? I don't know.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:20am

@
shanti

(a little FYI--if you click the little down arrow to the left of a poster's name in the above replies, you will *Paste a user's name in the quick reply box* with the red @ symbol in front--with a space after the @).

shanti wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:15am:
the version I posted is the one shown in the first screen of the software, I confirm that the version reported on the file properties is the same.

Thank you for checking--we now know there is in fact a v12.xxx of the Ghost program--new knowledge not know before now!

shanti wrote on Dec 15th, 2014 at 10:15am:
I think we "won" this Ghost when we set up the Altiris server in the company some time ago

Do you know--did you pull those Ghost executables from Ghost Solution Suite (GSS)--if so, any idea what the version number for that was?  (Ghost v11.5.xxxx was from GSS 2.5x.  With a change in Ghost's version number to v12, I would expect possibly GSS 3.0.xxxx.)

Or, was it from some other Symantec program suite like the one referenced in the link in my reply #8 above (Deployment Solution 7.1)--again if you know, what's the program suite name and version number?

NightOwl wrote on Dec 12th, 2014 at 11:01pm:

Just trying to add to our knowledge data base.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print