Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 and Windows Update (Read 73079 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Windows 7 and Windows Update
Reply #45 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 2:27am

@
Brian
Thanks for your input! I think that I've read somewhere that there's a difference between different versions of W10 regarding "control over Windows Update" but that's another thread ... Undecided ... because I have a feeling that this one has gone on for too long and people are losing interest.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #46 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 5:14am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #47 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:11am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Nov 19th, 2015 at 2:27am:
I have a feeling that this one has gone on for too long and people are losing interest

Actually, I have not lost interest--I am just a poor responder these days  Embarrassed  !

So, I wanted to come back to this statement and complete the thought:

NightOwl wrote on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 4:07pm:
Now a teaser--I stumble upon another issue that may cause Windows Update and the TrustedInstaller to cause excessive CPU usage, and excessive read/writes to the hard drive

Here's the story:

I had a friend call and say they were getting a warning that they were running out of disk space on their OS partition.

I stopped by and looked at the system and found that there was only about 800 MB of unused space left on their Win7 OS partition. 

To look closer at the where all the used space was, I used this product called SpaceSniffer:

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html

You don't have to install anything--it runs as a stand alone program--just extract it and it will run from wherever you put the .exe program--I have it on my USB thumb drive.  It shows the entire drive using boxes of different sizes for different directories, sub-directories, and files.  The box size is relative to the amount of space that is being used by the particular item.

(Another good program that does the same is WinDirStat--the standard program is installed on your system:  https://windirstat.info/ .  Or, you can use the portable app version:  http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/windirstat_portable ,   which can be installed on a USB thumb drive also and run from there--that's actually the one I use.)

Well, I found a big unexpected directory of almost 9 GBs:  c:\windows\logs\cbs\  .  I did'nt have time to look closely at what the *cbs* directory was at the time, until I got home--but the OS partition was about 60 GB total and it was almost all used up!

Once at home I found these references:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3b0b2bbc-d295-4a...

http://felixyon.blogspot.com/2013/03/mysterious-cab-files-fill-up-temp-folder.ht...

http://superuser.com/questions/803842/why-is-cbs-log-file-size-20-gb

https://community.shavlik.com/thread/448019

These references talk about this problem (i.e. running out of disk space on the OS partition) being related to Windows Update, TrustedInstaller.exe (Windows Module Installer), and I think about installing updates take a longer time to happen.  I initially thought they also talked about high CPU and RAM usage--but, that may have been a reference that I did not bookmark, because I did not see that in the above links when I reviewed them.

And, I had noted that you had said this earlier:

Christer wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:54am:
Space is, however, becoming a problem since the W7 installation has grown from 13313 MB (january 2011) to 32404 MB (october 2015)...     I have not installed any programs of significant size and that 143% growth ...is, more or less, caused by updates to Windows and Office!

So, I initially thought this problem with the *CBS* directory and its files growing beyond about 0.5 to possibly 1.5 GB at most might relate to your problem(s).  But, now that I can't find any reference to excess RAM and CPU usage--I'm betting that the problem is unrelated to what you have been talking about.

But, you might want to check out the *CBS* directory to see how large it is!  I checked mine and it was only about 700 MB.

Regarding checking directory and file sizes on my friends computer--what I found was that there are two very large directories  c:\window\winsxs (I now call that the *windows sucks* directory) which was about 12 GBs and a second one c:\windows\installer  which was about 5 GBs.  I saw your comment here:

Christer wrote on Oct 21st, 2015 at 6:54am:
I'm aware of the Disk Cleanup Wizard addon, I have tested it but didn't install it "permanently". After running it, there was a significant reduction of used space, at the time some 5 GB. Do you have that update installed and if so, do you use it?

I ran the Disk Cleanup Wizard on my friend's system and it reduced the winsxs directory by about 2 GBs and the installer directory by about 1 GB.

I searched to see if there was any other way to reduce the size of those two directories, or possibly move them to another partition to free up space on the OS partition--but, all the advice I came across said not to mess with them!  Also tried to find if I could move the *hibernation* file (my friend likes to use that feature), but apparently that is not allowed either--dang it!

I have more comments that I want to make regarding other items in this thread (and maybe this post as well), but it will have to wait for a day or 2 or 3.....!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #48 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:43pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:11am:
Actually, I have not lost interest--I am just a poor responder these days!

That comment was not directed at you but in general. Threads should not go on "for ever".

I used this product called SpaceSniffer ... Another good program that does the same is WinDirStat

I'll download and have a look at those later.

But, you might want to check out the *CBS* directory to see how large it is!I checked mine and it was only about 700 MB.

With my monthly restore of the previous Image, whatever my system accumulates is not very long lived. At present, my CBS folder holds 6 files, 44 MB.

Regarding checking directory and file sizes on my friends computer--what I found was that there are two very large directories c:\window\winsxs (I now call that the *windows sucks* directory) which was about 12 GBs and a second one c:\windows\installer which was about 5 GBs.

On my system, c:\window\winsxs holds 88003 files in 22449 folders > 21,1 GB and yes, it sucks because it holds every single update that has been installed in store, should the user wish to uninstall any of them. That's why Disk Cleanup Wizard can reduce its size by removing obsolete entries. On my system, c:\windows\installer holds 1148 files in 146 folders > 4,67 GB.

I'll run Disk Cleanup Wizard later to see what difference it makes.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 2:50pm

Off topic but this works with Win8 onward....

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-check-size-and-reclaim-disk-space-wi...

I've been using it for two years. No issues and it certainly reduces C: drive used space.

My OS is 3 years old, Win8 upgraded to Win10. WinSxS folder is 6 GB, Installer folder is 3 GB.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #50 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:33pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:43pm:
That comment was not directed at you but in general.

I did not take any personal offense--was just saying that *I* was not done yet--even if no one else was commenting!

I'll download and have a look at those later.

You can take a look at the directory size before and after using the Disk Cleanup Wizard with the SpaceSniffer or Windirstat program to see how effective the process was.

That's why Disk Cleanup Wizard can reduce its size by removing obsolete entries.

Yup!

Just a FYI for anyone viewing this, you have to select the *Clean up System Files* on the initial *Disk Cleanup* tab if you want to get the *Windows Update Cleanup* option--which is for the *winsxs* and *installer* directories--see here for screen shots:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/10/08/breaking-news-reduce-th...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #51 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:41am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:33pm:
You can take a look at the directory size before and after using the Disk Cleanup Wizard with the SpaceSniffer or Windirstat program to see how effective the process was.

I downloaded SpaceSniffer (SS) and compared to Windows Explorer, size according to the properties of the folders. Both reported the same sizes but SS sorted in order of size. The CBS-folder was so small that I had to search specifically for it.

Sizes below are before and after running Disk Cleanup Wizard (DCW):

c:\window\installer - before = 4,67 GB - after = 4,67 GB - no difference

c:\windows\logs\cbs - before = 75,7 MB - after = 735 MB - Huh - a lot to log, obviously

c:\windows\winsxs - before = 21,2 GB - after = 11,5 GB - reduction 9,7 GB

Prior to running DCW, it reported that 9,46 GB would be cleared.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print