Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RAM size, speed and timing (plus other things that came up) (Read 51185 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: RAM size, speed and timing
Reply #30 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:51am

@
Brian

Quote:
I suggest confirming the SSD you intend to buy supports DRAT.

I have not found information on the Intel SSDs or any other about DRAT support specifically, Trim support in general only. Does Trim support always include DRAT support?

I quote from the article on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Non-deterministic Trim: each read command to the Logical block address (LBA) after a Trim may return different data.

Deterministic Trim (DRAT): all read commands to the LBA after a Trim shall return the same data, or become determinate.

Deterministic Read Zero after Trim (RZAT): all read commands to the LBA after a Trim shall return zero.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:22am

@
Christer

Standby. I'm still trying to get meaningful information.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #32 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 10:24am

@
Brian

No panic ... Cool ... ! I have promised two friends to help them upgrading. Both have tried the online route and failed.

I have successfully helped the first one by doing it off line from a USB stick. I disconnected everything but the keyboard and mouse. It went well and also reconnecting the hardware, one by one. Only the scanner needed manual download of drivers. He's happy but wants to upgrade to a SSD.

The next friend is on the waitinglist. When I have upgraded his computer too ... Wink ... then I'll be prepared to do my own.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: RAM size, speed and timing (plus other things that came up)
Reply #33 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 12:33pm

@
Christer

When I upgraded to Win10 last year, all upgrade methods failed except upgrading from a UFD. It's the only method I now use.

As a test yesterday I upgraded a freshly installed Win7 (no updates) to Win10 ver 1511 (using a USB flash drive)

From running setup.exe on the UFD to the Win10 desktop took 15:30

Manually running Windows Update (drivers and Security updates) took another 12:00 minutes.

Total time was 27:30

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #34 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:22pm

@
Brian

It took a bit longer on my friends system which was/is installed on a HDD. An approximate hour plus installing the disconnected hardware.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 3:52pm

@
Christer

I run "Disk Clean-up/Clean-up system files" and select everything after I've upgraded to Win10. In my computers this removes 10 to 15 GB of old OS files from the C: drive. You can't roll back to the previous OS after doing this but you should have an image of the old OS if you do decide to roll back.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #36 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 5:33am

@
Brian

From reply #19:

Quote:
Ver 1511, in November, was an upgrade. I installed it manually from an ISO on day one. I want upgrades. After all, if anything goes wrong we can just restore an image. That takes me less than two minutes.

I think that I begin to understand Windows Update for Windows 10. If you have a look at Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for February 2016 and scroll down to Windows Operating Systems and Components > Windows 10 it is obvious that whichever bulletin you choose, the file that gets downloaded is the same and covers or ... Roll Eyes ... destroys it all.

I think that I'll change my strategy of "imaging the system after installing the updates on a monthly basis".

Instead, after installing or converting to Windows 10, off-line from a USB-stick to the latest build/version, I will create an image. Then I'll let Windows 10 have its way until the next upgrade to a new build/version. At that time, I'll restore the previous image, install the new updgrade and create a fresh image of the system. Depending on space on my HDD, I'll keep at least two generations of images to roll back to.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 3:34pm

@
Christer

To summarize the three types of TRIM. There is no way to determine the type of TRIM until you buy the SSD or ask a mate. Companies don't provide this information and my latest advice is the type of TRIM doesn't matter. I became interested in DRAT because TeraByte Unlimited uses it for their "Write Changed Sectors Only" restores but this seems to be a once off usage.

I've embraced the Win10 update process (no choice anyway). I check occasionally to see what has happened. Windows Defender updates happen daily and Windows Updates happen every two weeks or so. No issues so far.

Christer wrote on Mar 7th, 2016 at 5:33am:
off-line from a USB-stick to the latest build/version

Did you mean on-line? While Windows is running?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #38 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:09pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Did you mean on-line? While Windows is running?

Nope, off-line. The reason for downloading updates to the computer and installing them off-line on WinXP and Win7 is to make sure that my system is free from virus and other malware when being reimaged. It takes some time to restore the image from the previous month prior to installing the new batch of updates but that's the way I do it. Today, when I restore an image, the system has been on-line only for the short duration of activating Windows and that was in 2011.

About upgrading the system, when I helped my friend, I booted from the USB-stick but when the question came, if I wanted to upgrade or do a clean installation, when I chose "upgrade" I was prompted to reboot the computer and start the process from within Windows. It seems like booting from the USB-stick is for clean installations only.

I did it off-line with all peripheral hardware disconnected. When the upgrade had completed, I reconnected the hardware one by one. Only the scanner needed drivers to be downloaded from the internet.

My friend had failed on two attempts to do the upgrade on-line via Windows Update. He had everything connected and I told him that was as wise as keeping the pictures on the walls while changing the wall paper. My method worked and next weekend, I'll do the deed for another friend.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:13pm

@
Christer

I misunderstood what you were saying. When I upgraded to Win10 I did it from a running OS.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #40 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:16pm

@
Brian

I forgot the issue of TRIM. I think that I'll get a Samsung 850 EVO and it supports TRIM. Right now I can get the 250 GB version for 100 USD but I don't want to buy it until I need it. Why burn warranty storing it in a drawer?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:42pm

@
Christer

When I said I upgraded online I meant I started the upgrade online. Files were copied from the UFD to the HD and then the computer restarted and did the upgrade offline.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #42 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 3:24am

@
Brian

Quote:
When I said I upgraded online I meant I started the upgrade online. Files were copied from the UFD to the HD and then the computer restarted and did the upgrade offline.

Now, You've lost me. Why did You start the upgrade on-line from a UFD, created to do it off-line?

As I wrote in reply #38:

Quote:
About upgrading the system, when I helped my friend, I booted from the USB-stick but when the question came, if I wanted to upgrade or do a clean installation, when I chose "upgrade" I was prompted to reboot the computer and start the process from within Windows. It seems like booting from the USB-stick is for clean installations only.

When I did it, the computer was off-line all the time. While reconnecting the peripheral hardware, I went on-line to download drivers for the scanner and also to verify that Windows 10 had been activated. I guess that Windows 10 updated itself quite soon after I had left it alone.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 3:55am

@
Christer

I think we did the same thing. You booted from the UFD and were instructed to "start the process from within Windows". Nothing happened to your system until you ran setup.exe from Windows. You mentioned " It seems like booting from the USB-stick is for clean installations only." I agree.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print