Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Questions about boot iso cd (Read 25127 times)
bruce_b
Dude

I Love Radified!

Apex, North Carolina

Questions about boot iso cd
Aug 1st, 2016 at 4:02pm

Have a couple of questions:

I have a copy of Ghost 11.5 ISO File
and also a copy of Ghost 15.01 System Recovery Disc
ISO File

Do I just burn these to a CD/DVD as is or do they need to be extracted and then burnt to disc ?

Will either version have all the files already needed to see a USB Keyboard and Mouse as well as a USB External Hard Drive ?

Does either version require a license key to be entered ?

Will either version work with XP / Win 7 / Win 8 / Win 10 ? 

Can either version restore an Image that was created using Ghost 2003 ? ?

Thanks for the assistance.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Questions about boot iso cd
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 12:26am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 15, 14, 12, 10, 9, + Norton Save + Restore (NS+R) by NightOwl.

These questions are better posted to this discussion board.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 1:04am

@
bruce_b

Quote:
Do I just burn these to a CD/DVD as is or do they need to be extracted and then burnt to disc ?

Well, I think an *iso* file, by its very nature is meant to be burned to a DVD or CD.  Yes there are programs that can extract what ever files are inside the iso, but then you have a bunch of files that may or may not have any functionality separated from the iso.  You can then burn them to a DVD or CD, but again the functionality may have been destroyed.

Quote:
Will either version have all the files already needed to see a USB Keyboard and Mouse as well as a USB External Hard Drive ?

It all depends on where the iso's came from and what their functionality may be.  Are they the installation discs for a new install of the entire program--or are they bootable discs to run the programs from a fresh boot.  Unless you know what these iso's were meant to do, no one else can know the answer until you find out more by burning them and then seeing what you have.

Quote:
Does either version require a license key to be entered ?

It depends on what you have.  An installation disc will probably need a license key to install.  A bootable disc that you place in the CD drive and boot from it, may or may not need a license--depends on how the boot disc was created....

Quote:
Will either version work with XP / Win 7 / Win 8 / Win 10 ?

Ghost 11.5 is pre-Win10 for sure, and may be pre-Win8 as well--there could be some compatibility issues with more modern BIOS types and file system requirements.  One would have to experiment to see.

I'm not sure when *Ghost 15.01 System Recovery Disc* was released, so I don't know for sure what OS's it would be compatible with--Google might help with that.

Quote:
Can either version restore an Image that was created using Ghost 2003 ? ?

Usually, a more recent version of Ghost will be able to work with a Ghost image file from an older version--as long as the programs are for a similar family of Ghost products.  Ghost 11.5 is from the same family of Ghost software as Ghost 2003.  *Ghost 15.01 System Recovery Disc*--I'm not sure if that's from the same family of Ghost programs, or not.

It's the other way around that usually will not work--a Ghost image file from a newer version will often not work with an older version of Ghost.

Norton GHOST 15, 14, 12, 10 & 9, including Norton Save & Restore (NS&R) .. all of which are based on the new, Windows-based version of Ghost (originally developed by PowerQuest) are a different family of Ghost programs and would not work with a Ghost 2003 image file.

The possible bigger problem you might face is if your Ghost 2003 image is of an OS, and you hope to boot from it.  It may or may not work if being restored on newer hardware than what the previous OS image came from.  If all you are doing is restoring the image to a hard drive so you can copy some files from it--that should not pose a problem.

What are you attempting to do?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 5:58pm

Ghost 11.5 is the last DOS version of Ghost.
If you have an ISO file of Ghost 11.5 you must use a special program to burn that to a CD which will  make it bootable.  I've done that many times and I use a very user friendly little program called ImgBurn.  (Image Burn)  It's free, and easy to find and download from the internet.  Just Google it.

And Yes, Ghost 11.5 will back up any OS from Windows 98 to Windows 10, either 32 bit or 64 bit.
I've used it exclusively for all my backup chores for many years and I still use it today, to back up my Windows 10 PC's. 

ISO's are typically made from working CD's, so burning the ISO to a new CD should give you a working copy of the Program.  If the person who made the original disk, from which the ISO was made, had his head on strait, there will be mouse drivers on the disk that will load when you boot up the PC with the Ghost CD.  They don't come as a part of Ghost.

Good luck,
Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 11:27pm

@
OldCasper

In your practice, how do you create a backup image of a UEFI Win10 system with DOS Ghost? I understand all shop bought Win10 computers have the OS installed in UEFI mode, Secure Boot.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:10pm

Ya know,,,,,, it sounds like I've got something that works and you don't.

Apparently Ghost 11.5 just doesn't give a crap, what format or type of data is on a hard drive.
As long as it's recorded in one's and zero's, Ghost seems to not give a dang.

My software/PC Guru assures me that he's used Ghost 11.5 to back up his Linux server, as well as other devices that use a Hard Drive.

May I suggest that rather than try to stump me and make me look bad, that you get a copy of Ghost 11.5 on a DOS boot disk or Flash Drive (I use both) and try it for yourself.  You might just be pleasingly surprised at just how powerful and flexible it really is.  Eh?

If you don't have Ghost 11.5 or know where and how to find it, drop me a personal and I'll try to help you.

Respectfully,
Casper  Cool
PS:  Since 1997 when Ghost first appeared on the scene, I've tried just about every backup program that's come down the pike, and Ghost is the only one that's never let me down.
Ghost will work with every HD that can be and IS seen by the system Bios.  The day it was written, it was years ahead of its time.  I'm sure that Nigel Bree could attest to that.

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:01pm

@
OldCasper

Thanks for the reply. I do have Ghost 11.5 courtesy of participating in one of the Norton beta programs. I don't share your enthusiasm for the app, particularly its use on recent hardware. Win8 and Win10 computers bought from a store come with the OS installed in UEFI mode/Secure Boot. I'm not sure you have one of these systems because a DOS disk doesn't boot, not without some tricks.

Let's say you are able to create an Entire Drive Ghost (DOS) image of HD0 on your your new Win10 system. It's not much use to you because if the HD dies and you restore the image to a new blank HD, the OS will not boot. Ghost 11.5 doesn't image all required partitions. It omits the Recovery and the Microsoft Reserved Partitions.

Please let us know if you are successfully using Ghost 11.5 on a UEFI/Secure Boot system.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 10:14am

@
OldCasper

OldCasper wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:10pm:
May I suggest that rather than try to stump me and make me look bad,

I doubt that Brian is trying to *make you look bad*!

I think he's asking you a legitimate question, and is trying to help you if you are not aware of the possible limitations that Ghost 11.5 might have on newer computer hardware using the newer BIOS referred to as a UEFI/Secure Boot system.

I think Brian is trying to make others who may read this thread understand that possible limitation as well.

Ghost 11.5 predates the UEFI/Secure Boot systems.  I do not have newer hardware myself, but I understand the Ghost 11.5 is unable to correctly deal with the UEFI BIOS and the boot sector it creates on a HDD--which will make restoring a whole drive image to a replacement HDD fail.

OldCasper wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:10pm:
get a copy of Ghost 11.5 on a DOS boot disk or Flash Drive (I use both) and try it for yourself

Surely, you must remember back in the day when the BIOS on older hardware could not recognize and use a flash drive to boot to DOS to use Ghost or any other DOS based program.  It's a similar situation with Ghost 11.5 and a UEFI based BIOS now.

Brian wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 8:01pm:
Please let us know if you are successfully using Ghost 11.5 on a UEFI/Secure Boot system.

If you only have older systems, and/or have not worked on someone else's newer system that is UEFI based, then of course you may be unaware of the issue.

We would all like to know if you have used Ghost 11.5 to restore a whole drive image from a UEFI system to an new HDD--and how that all worked out.

If you have only made partition images and restored those to the same HDD from which it came from, then the system should still work fine (but, you still have the possible problem of booting to DOS), or if you make a whole drive image, but only try to restore partitions to the original HDD--then that should work too (again dealing with the booting to DOS issue).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 10:30am

@
Brian

I'm not sure you have one of these systems because a DOS disk doesn't boot, not without some tricks

Links to what *tricks* are needed?!

Let's say you are able to create an Entire Drive Ghost (DOS) image of HD0 on your your new Win10 system.

So, I've never run across this situation, but I read in the User Guide for Ghost 2003, that if Ghost comes across a partition that it does not natively *understand*, it will switch to creating an image in *Raw* mode--meaning it will copy the partition bit for bit, will not do any manipulations to make the image smaller--i.e. copying all the empty space as well as the space that has actual data.

Do you know if Ghost 11.5 acts in that fashion if booted to DOS on a UEFI system and sees a UEFI boot partition?  It would create presumably a very large image--and probably be very slow.  I think if Ghost switches to Raw image creation, it will be Raw for the whole HDD, and not just the boot partition.

Isn't it possible to switch a newer motherboard (at least on some) to the old style BIOS, and install one's OS with a old style boot sector--that would also allow the use of Ghost 11.5--I presume?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2016 at 3:11pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Oct 3rd, 2016 at 10:30am:
Isn't it possible to switch a newer motherboard (at least on some) to the old style BIOS, and install one's OS with a old style boot sector--that would also allow the use of Ghost 11.5--I presume?

Yes. That's what I'm doing with my main computer. It has a UEFI BIOS and I wanted to use BIBM for multi-booting so I enabled Compatibility Support Module (CSM), disabled Secure Boot and used "Other OS" which is Legacy. It's easy, only 2 clicks.

See the last two paragraphs. For IFD and BIBM.

Do you know if Ghost 11.5 acts in that fashion if booted to DOS on a UEFI system and sees a UEFI boot partition?It would create presumably a very large image--and probably be very slow

The created image was about the same size as a TeraByte image. Only 2 partitions were restored to the empty target HD. At that point I lost interest.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 4:36pm

Brian wrote on Oct 3rd, 2016 at 3:11pm:

See the last two paragraphs. For IFD and BIBM

@ Brian

Could you please elaborate about this point and clarify what/where are  the paragraphs you're referring to ?

Thx,
mariella

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 4:49pm

@
mariella

Sorry about that. The link is missing. It is...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572

It depends on your UEFI firmware but to boot legacy media you need Legacy selected in the BIOS.

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 5:00pm

@
Brian

Good.

So, in this way can EasyUEFI be considered as a valid  alternate/substitute to BIBM in case of UEFI systems ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 5:21pm

@
mariella

BIBM can't boot OS installed in UEFI mode but BIBM Partition Work is included in IFL so you can boot IFL and do the same partitioning procedures in your UEFI system as BIBM does in MBR systems.

I haven't tried using 2 Windows OS with EasyUEFI because apart from removing drive letters there is no other way of hiding each OS from the other.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 3:45am

Out of interest I tried Win8 and Win10 on the same HD. EasyUEFI Free doesn't support two Windows OS on the same HD. It won't boot either OS.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print