Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windows 10 upgrade to version 1607, build 14393 (Read 21061 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Windows 10 upgrade to version 1607, build 14393
Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:48pm

The only flaw was that during preparation, the Media Creation Tool did not detect the UFD when running on my desktop under Windows 7. When running on my laptop under Windows 10, the UFD was recognised and the installation media was created. I wonder if this is because the "grace period" is over but you should be able to upgrade from Windows 7, entering a valid payed licence code ... Undecided ... right?

The upgrade had not turned up in Windows Update (nothing had been downloaded) and when running "setup.exe" on the UFD created by the Media Creation Tool, I told it to NOT get any updates and disconnected from the internet. It took 45-50 minutes from start to finish and everything works well.

I'm pleasantly surprised that no useless apps were showed up my system and that all my settings seem to be untouched. I have yet to browse a bit more and also to connect to the internet, letting Windows Update loose but this far, nothing is alarming.

Does anyone have a differnet experience or is everyone happy?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to version 1607, build 14393
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 4:24pm

Fast Startup had been reenabled. Important for people using Imaging Software to disable to avoid disc corruption.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 8:22pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Aug 7th, 2016 at 12:48pm:
the "grace period" is over 

In theory but I'm advised you can still upgrade for free.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:33am

@
Brian

Quote:
In theory but I'm advised you can still upgrade for free.

All I get when visiting Microsoft from Sweden are ads to purchase.

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

Those free Windows 10 upgrades are over. Now what?

From that article:
Quote:
Individuals who use "assistive technologies" get an automatic extension of the free upgrade offer. Details of that upgrade extension are here.

Maybe that's what your "source" is referring to?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 3:50am

He said to upgrade using a Win10 ISO in the normal fashion and new Win10 will be automatically Activated.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 6:33am

As I understand it, the upgrade to 1607 is more or less a fresh installation but with my installed programs and files untouched or "transferred".

After upgrading to 1607, I have a "Windows.old" folder on my system. It would be interesting to know if this folder appears on systems upgraded via Windows Update as well?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:00pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 6:33am:
After upgrading to 1607, I have a "Windows.old" folder on my system. It would be interesting to know if this folder appears on systems upgraded via Windows Update as well? 

Yes it does.

It's for rolling back to the previous OS in the next month. Or shorter period with 1607. As you know, Disk Clean-up removes the folder.

The 1607 upgrade is the "same" as the 1511 upgrade. All your programs and settings are unchanged.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:24pm

@
Brian

Interesting approach to "system maintenance". A reinstallation twice a year and in between the user or Microsoft can mess it up. If nothing else, it will reduce the "update clutter" ... Cool ... which is the part of it that I like the most. I mean, since 2010, when I installed Win 7, to this date 499 updates have been installed and 287 replaced. In addition to that, SP1.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:57am

There's been a lot of chatter online about the 1607 update (aka, "AU" or Anniversary Update) allegedly "deleting" non-Windows partitions and ruining some multiboot systems.

Personally, I haven't had a problem--and it doesn't appear Brian or Christer has, either. OTOH, I only have two systems here that have Windows 10 and are also multibooting, and one of those hasn't seen the AU yet. Thus, my sample size of one doesn't prove anything except whatever problem there is isn't universal.

Scanning the numerous reports online leaves it very unclear exactly what may be happening and under what circumstances. I haven't been able to replicate the problem.

Aside: One of my pet peeves is complainants who provide useless descriptions when we try to diagnose a problem. Anyone who has acted as the tech support person for friends or family probably knows the feeling ...

"My computer isn't working."

Why? What's it doing?

"It doesn't boot up."

What do you mean? Do the lights come on when you press the power button? Are there any messages on the screen? Does the keyboard work? How far in the boot process does it get?

Okay, we've got to put up with that from our non-techie friends and family, but you'd think that anyone who has setup a multiboot system in the first place ought to be technically savvy enough to at least provide a helpful description of the symptoms, right?

Apparantly not.

What struck me is how utterly useless most of the online claims are. Many have complained that data or partitions "disappeared" or were "deleted" or were "wiped out", but precious little information was provided explaining what they actually mean by that, how their systems were configured, or what diagnostic tools they used to come to that conclusion.

What multibooting method were they using? (BCD? GRUB? Other?) What operating systems? Were they using MBR or GPT partitions? Did they merely lose the other OS option from the boot menu? Did they verify whether the partition is still defined in the partition table? If so, how did they verify that? And even if the partition's MBR or GPT table entry was deleted, is the partition itself still there with data intact?

It's frustrating how such presumably tech-savvy users can provide such useless information.

Given what little there is to go on, at this point my guess would be this affects UEFI/GPT systems (not BIOS/MBR), maybe only linux systems, maybe only those multibooting via GRUB, and it seems most likely the only thing that happened is the AU installation overwrote the GRUB bootloader with a standard Microsoft BCD-based bootloader. That's not the end of the world--and we're even used to that happening. I don't think the AU actually deleted any partitions or data, and it appears anyone making that claim used Win10's crippled Disk Management utility to diagnose their system instead of a proper tool like BootIt BM, Macrium, MiniTool Partition Wizard, et al.

It doesn't seem this problem will affect our MBR/BIBM-based multibooting systems, but until there's more information to go on it's probably wise to at least be aware of the online chatter and take appropriate precautions.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:51am

Dan Goodell wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:57am:
Personally, I haven't had a problem--and it doesn't appear Brian or Christer has, either. OTOH, I only have two systems here that have Windows 10 and are also multibooting, and one of those hasn't seen the AU yet. Thus, my sample size of one doesn't prove anything except whatever problem there is isn't universal.

Well, I have upgraded my laptop only, no multiboot (Windows 10 Home came preinstalled) so like your, Dan, my experience is good but somewhat ...  Wink .. limited!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:14pm

@
Dan Goodell

I experienced a RAW partition a few days ago but it wasn't related to upgrading Win10. Win 10 had been upgraded a few weeks ago. A friend asked me to image the partitions on her Asus laptop. Win10 1607, UEFI. I can't recall the shutdown/restart sequences but I used an IFL UFD and did an Entire Drive backup image to a USB external HD. (there were 100 GB of files on the external HD) When Win10 booted we checked the external HD and the backup image wasn't present but all other files were fine. I immediately suspected Fast Startup corruption. The laptop was restarted and this time the files on the external HD couldn't be accessed. The partition had the same drive letter but was labelled RAW in Disk Management. Changing the drive letter made no difference. In BIBM the partition appeared normal. It was NTFS. I connected the external HD to my computer (Win10 1607) and the partition was still RAW. I booted my computer into Ubuntu and all files on the external HD were seen and were copied to one of my HDs. There was no backup image present.

In BIBM the partition was deleted and then undeleted. It remained RAW in Win10.

In Win10, chkdsk /f on the external HD partition fixed it. All files were present with the exception of a backup image. Fast Startup was disabled and an IFL backup image was created.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:07pm

Nice post, Brian--far more useful information than anything I've seen online in all the other discussion venues.

Brian wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:14pm:
The partition had the same drive letter but was labelled RAW in Disk Management. [...] In BIBM the partition appeared normal. [...] I booted my computer into Ubuntu and all files on the external HD were seen and were copied to one of my HDs.

This suggests that, as I suspected, the partition itself wasn't damaged at all. It appears to be merely a problem with the way Windows is looking at it, and through whatever corrupted assumptions Windows is making.

Quote:
In Win10, chkdsk /f on the external HD partition fixed it. All files were present with the exception of a backup image. Fast Startup was disabled and an IFL backup image was created.

Just to clarify, did you mean, "Next I disabled Fast Start..."? Or did you mean, "Fast Start had previously been disabled..."?

I had forgotten about Fast Start. As BIBM users, we know to disable Fast Start, but once I disabled it awhile ago I subsequently forgot all about it. As Christer noticed in Reply #1 above, though, 1607 re-enables Fast Start.

So now it looks like the whole issue is traceable back to Fast Start. It's doubtful there's any sinister motive added to 1607, it's just that Fast Start is incompatible with multibooting, regardless of whether we're talking about version 1607, 1511, or whatever. The problem isn't with 1607, per se, it's just that Fast Start got turned back on.

Since Fast Start is essentially a form of hibernation, I wonder if your "chkdsk /f" was actually necessary. Perhaps just turning off Fast Start and rebooting may have brought everything back to normal?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:29pm

@
Dan Goodell

Dan Goodell wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:07pm:
Just to clarify, did you mean, "Next I disabled Fast Start..."? Or did you mean, "Fast Start had previously been disabled..."?

She bought the laptop a few months ago and it was recently upgraded to 1607. Fast Startup wasn't disabled until after chkdsk /f had been performed on the partition. Fast Startup hadn't been disabled after she bought the computer.

None of our family use hibernation...

powercfg -h off

... so Fast Startup doesn't get turned on after a Win10 upgrade.

I saw a few reports in the TeraByte forum of missing images after creating offline images (Fast Startup related) but no reports of RAW partitions.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:12am

Am I right in assuming your friend wasn't multibooting, either? If Fast Startup messed up on a single-boot system, that's even more disturbing. Sounds like everyone should be disabling it as a matter of routine, regardless of how your system is configured.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:56am

@
Brian

Quote:
None of our family use hibernation...

powercfg -h off

... so Fast Startup doesn't get turned on after a Win10 upgrade.

After having applied that command (which I did a few moments ago, thanks for reminding me), Fast Startup is no longer an option under the powersettings. I hope it stays that way after the next upgrade ... Lips Sealed ... on my system too!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print