Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Terabyte IFL copy disk (Read 33537 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Terabyte IFL copy disk
Jan 17th, 2020 at 6:59am

My intention is to copy a HDD to a SSD. The system has, on the HDD been upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

I've had a look and have decided on these settings, unless anyone (read: Brian) has any objections:

Scale to Fit !
Align to Target !
Omit Pagefile Data !
Omit Hibernation Data !
Assume Original HD ?
Shutdown When Completed !
Copy Disk Signature !

The question mark at "Assume Original HD" - is it nesessary? Does it make any difference?

Any comments on the other settings with an exclamation mark (indicating that I'm pretty sure about those but I've bee wrong before)?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Terabyte IFL copy disk
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 3:33pm

@
Christer

What sizes are the HD and SSD?

What partitions do you have on the HD? Partition sizes and amount of Free Space in each partition?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 4:09pm

Both the HDD and the SSD are ~500 GB.

A dual boot, originally with Windows XP installed on C: (first) and Windows 7 installed on D: (second) but the drive letters change depending on which OS is booted. The Windows 7 installation created the dual boot. Additionally E: for the data folders.

C: and D: primary, E: a logical on an extended.

I will not run XP very often, if at all and only offline when using programs that don't run on Windows 7/10. Maybe I'll do a clean installation of Windows 10 alone but not right now.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 4:46pm

OK. You are doing an Entire Drive Copy.

In my Options list there is no "Copy Disk Signature". I'm using IFL 3.26.

I use the default Options...

Omit Page File Data
Omit Hibernation Data
Omit $Usnjrnl Data
Log Results to File

Don't use Assume Original HD. This is used to keep the hard drive number references intact for the restored partitions. This option mainly applies to Linux partitions. I've only ever used this option for copying Linux partitions on GPT disks in a UEFI system.

Don't use Align to Target. If it's already aligned on the source, there is no need to use it (you
typically use that when changing alignment).

I'd use Scale to Fit although it's probably not necessary as the disks are the same size.

I'd use Change Disk ID and GUIDs if you plan to have both disks in the computer for the first boot. I usually choose this option because you don't want both disks to have the same Disk ID and GUID when they are both in the computer at any time.

The other Options aren't needed.

When restoring images to the SSD in the future, use Write Changed Sectors Only as this reduces NAND writes to the SSD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 4:56pm

Out of interest, do you have BIBM?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 4:59pm

In IFL Settings, make sure you have a tick in "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries". This applies to IFW too.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:36am

Quote:
In my Options list there is no "Copy Disk Signature". I'm using IFL 3.26.

I read it in the manual for the 3.36 (?) version.

Quote:
Don't use Align to Target. If it's already aligned on the source, there is no need to use it (you typically use that when changing alignment).

During creation of the USB-device I selected "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" which should be correct for SSDs. The current system had the partitions created by Windows XP (cylinder aligned) to work with Ghost 2003. It was actually you who said it in the second reply in G2003, WinXP, and SSDs: views, please

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:37am

Quote:
I'd use Change Disk ID and GUIDs if you plan to have both disks in the computer for the first boot. I usually choose this option because you don't want both disks to have the same Disk ID and GUID when they are both in the computer at any time.

They wont be connected at the same time and I don't want to change the Disk ID. The reason is that it may interfere with activation of Windows 10 to be recognized.

A different issue occurred when a friend upgraded his system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The Adobe Acrobat 9 installed on the system lost its activation and that was irreversible. He contacted Adobe but they never sorted it out. I will be careful and inactivate Acrobat on the Windows 7 installation and hopefully be able to reactivate it when on Windows 10.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:37am

Quote:
When restoring images to the SSD in the future, use Write Changed Sectors Only as this reduces NAND writes to the SSD.

Good thinking, thanks!

Quote:
Out of interest, do you have BIBM?

Yes, I do but have never used it though!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:43am

A side note:

I made a single post with all my answers and comments. The size was well below the maximum characters allowed.

Due to a "server issue", I wasn't able to post it. Brian was able to post and when the problem persisted today, I thought of splitting the post and it worked.

I don't understand why this "server issue" occurred when it shouldn't have.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 2:16pm

The Option "Copy Disk Signature" is only available for non Entire Drive copies. When you do an Entire Drive copy, the Disk Signature is copied by default. So you certainly don't want "Change Disk ID and GUIDs".

Christer wrote on Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:36am:
The current system had the partitions created by Windows XP (cylinder aligned) to work with Ghost 2003.

In that case you do want to choose Align to Target so that the SSD will get 2048 sector aligned partitions. You have "Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" in Settings so the alignment on the SSD will be as desired.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 2:27pm

Christer wrote on Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:37am:
Yes, I do but have never used it though! 

The BIBM learning curve is steep but it's a dream to use for multi-booting. So easy. Your Win7 booting files are in the WinXP partition. With BIBM, each OS partition contains its own booting files so OS are independent.

If you don't want to install BIBM, you can use it from bootable media. But for multi-booting, it must be installed.

Off topic. With OS in UEFI systems, the situation is different. All booting files are in the EFI System Partition which is a small FAT32 partition. BootIt UEFI is designed for mult-booting OS on a GPT disk. Again, a steep learning curve followed by ease of use.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 2:34pm

Good luck. Well, you don't need luck as the copy will work.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:17pm

Okey, then we agree on these options:

Scale to Fit
Align to Target
Omit Pagefile Data
Omit Hibernation Data
Omit $Usnjrnl Data