Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concurrent installations of Win7 and Win10 on same PC possible? (Read 3510 times)
JSS
N00b

Long Island, New York, USA

Concurrent installations of Win7 and Win10 on same PC possible?
Mar 19th, 2020 at 4:11pm

I have two internal 500GB SSDs in my desktop PC.  Win7 Pro SP1 is installed with four partitions on one of them, and the other is completely clean; both are NTFS formatted.  For the sake of brevity, I'll refer to the Win7 SSD as SSD1 and the blank SSD as SSD2.   

I would like to do a clean install of Win10 on SSD2, without affecting Win7 on SSD1 in any way.  I'm sure it must be possible, but would appreciate advice on how to go about it.  TIA.

If you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability that you'll get it wrong

IP Logged

mariella
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Italy

Re: Concurrent installations of Win7 and Win10 on same PC possible?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 5:01pm

JSS wrote on Mar 19th, 2020 at 4:11pm:
I would like to do a clean install of Win10 on SSD2, without affecting Win7 on SSD1 in any way.  I'm sure it must be possible, but would appreciate advice on how to go about it.  TIA.

It will depends on you, but the first  step for you is to decide if you want to use a bootmanager or to maintain  the 2 Operative Systems completely independent each other and boot each of them manually, through the BIOS features.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 11:57am

Old School, Old Rule:

I never do anything as volatile as installing a new OS, or wiping a drive, with another good drive alive on the same motherboard.  Just one tiny little mistake can result in destruction of the good drive.

7 & 10?  Not for this old tech.  Seven is too old, and 10 is, well just too much of a departure from the norm. 

I currently have 10 computers, a mixed bag of desktops and laptops, and I'm running Windows 8.1/Pro on all of them.  With the Classic Shell installed, it's as friendly as Win-7 and way more friendly than Win-10. 

I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to run both 7 and 10.  Just ain't happnin'.

Cheers Mates,
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:22am

That's correct for a MBR system. You can have OS on several HDs but when you want to install a new OS you should remove all other HDs.

With a UEFI system with GPT disks, this doesn't apply. You can leave all HDs in place and install the new OS to any of your disks. The booting files get installed into the EFI System partition by default.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 6:03am

Guys,

JSS is an acquaintance of mine over at Windows BBS and I recommended him to post his question here. I haven't heard from him since May 2020. He's in his mid-eighties and I hope all is well with him.

If his question is of interest to the rest of us, keep discussing but don't expect a response from JSS.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print