Step.05 » Create New Web Page based on Template in Dreamweaver
- To create NEW pages from template .. two options:
- A. Can click on Template icon in Assets panel. All templates listed there. Can right-click on desired template and SELECT "New from Template". This would create brand new page.
- B. Better way = File » New » SELECT "Page from Template" in far-left column (3rd button down). Sites and all templates listed there. Key point » Make sure check in box labeled "Update page when template changes" .. if you're using templates both for Rapid deployment and Site Maintenance. Click "Create" button.
- Give new page a name and Save it to the desired location/folder.
- To edit ATTRIBUTES .. go to » Modify » Template Properties. All editable attributes are found here. Very easy to modify/edit. (Almost too easy.) Simply select the attribute you want to edit (click on it) and use the lower half of the dialogue box to select the proper values. URLs will get a navigate box (very cool).
Step.06 » Applying Templates to Pre-Existing Pages
This technique has drawbacks, cuz you probably have to make some changes, so it might be quicker to copy-n-paste content into new page.
- There are multiple ways to apply a template to an existing page.
- Easiest way is to use Assets panel. Click on Templates icon.
- Select desired template (all templates are listed).
- Drag-n-drop the template onto the page = easiest way to apply a template to a pre-existing page.
- Dialogue box pops up. Says "Inconsistent Region Names."
- Dreamweaver wants to know where it should put the items/content in this page.
- Click on editable region in top, and then tell DW where to put it by selecting the correct area listed under "Move content to new region" from drop-down menu.
- For 'Document head' (which contains link to external scripts, and external CSS files) best to select 'Nowhere' .. to DISCARD embedded styles. If you select 'head' from drop-down, that will merge/add them to new documents styles/head data.
- The downside to this method is .. the existing page often has several sections of content, but the interface does not allow you to choose where to put these sections. Everything in the body goes into a single editable region. Once there, then you can cut and paste from region to region. For more complex pages, that workflow could take more time than pasting into a brand new page.
- Click 'OK'. Voila!
- Often, copying-n-pasting content into a new page base off a template will be faster and less error-prone.
- Understanding BOTH work-flows (new page from template and applying template to existing page) allows you to make informed choice.