Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD) (Read 192626 times)
Helpar

Re: bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD)
Reply #60 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 9:30pm

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #61 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 11:04am

ffx-123

I believe that when using *NIC auto detect* function, the program doing the *auto-detecting* has to write the results to the *boot disk*.  And a bootable CD will not be writable to.

I'm not personally familiar with this, but I've seen reference by others about creating a *ram drive* as part of the boot process, and *re-directing* any write functions to that *ram drive* to hold whatever per session write-to-disk files are needed.

Whether that would work with *NIC auto detect*--I don't know--but it may point you in the right direction for testing.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

ffx-123

Reply #62 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 12:38pm

Thanks for the replies.  This is what I have so far. 

Autoexec.bat

mscdex /d:cdrom /L:x
mouse.com

copy command.com c:
copy assign.com c:
copy autoexec.bat c:
copy comp.dat c:
copy device.com c:
copy xcopy.exe c:
copy xcopy32.exe c:
copy netbind.com c:

xcopy a:net c:net /e/v
xcopy a:ghost*.* c: /e/v

assign a:=c:

DEVICE \net\pcidet.dos
DEVICE \net\protman.dos /c:\net
DEVICE \net\dis_pkt.dos

call \net\doit.bat
\net\netbind.com

rem echo Loading...

ghost.exe

Config.sys:

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:cdrom
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
device=a:ramdrive.sys 4096 /e
LASTDRIVE=Z

But I'm still having problem to getting it to work.  It's still pointing to a: drive.  I'm also getting an error saying "protocal manager is not present or something like it.  When it trys to run the "DEVICE \net\protman.dos /c:\net".  Any help will be greatly appriecated.

IP Logged

Tom McLain

Reply #63 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 11:54am

New Post Here... This is what I did to get a Boot CD with access to CD Drives for new OS installations and with Ghost access for restoring drive images is case of disasters.

First I used Bart's BootDisk from http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/cdrom/
I followed the auto create steps and made the floppy.

I booted the floppy to configure it to use ATAPI CDs and it saved that configuration to the floppy.

I then used DD.EXE found at http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/aboutdd/
to create an image of the floppy.

I then used Nero to create a Boot CD, using the newly created floppy image file for the base and adding a \ghost directory containing ghost.exe that can be accessed after the CD boots to the cd drives.

This Boot Cd allows access to Ghost for restoring images, and it also allows access straight to CDs where you can execute initial OS installations.

Hope this helps someone.

Tom

IP Logged

Erge

Reply #64 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 2:53am

Just found your site and followed the step by step instruction on creating bootable ghost cd without FDD.

The image file bootcdp1.ima was successfully created and copied and renamed as DosBootimage.IMA

The problem is after burning is done, the CD has no files at all? My laptop won't boot from the CD.

What was the problem?

thanks
Erge

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #65 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 8:31am

Erge

Need a little more information--you're leaving too much to *assumption* as to what we know about what you have done.

Are you using NeroExpress--(I assume so based on the *DosBootimage.IMA* file reference)?

What version of NeroExpress?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

erge
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #66 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:33am

Hi NightOwl,

I am using NERO Express 6.3.10.

At first, the image file was created using 2.88 MB option instead of 1.44 MB to accomodate more room for GHOST.EXE (ver 2003).

After burned, I browsed but found no content inside the CD. However, the CD properties reported "used space" around 3 MB.

My assumption was that the burned image file was somehow converted to hidden track --> IS IT TRUE ?

Booting up laptop using the CD was not successful initially.

Then I tried creating another image with 1.44 MB format without GHOST.EXE. The GHOST.EXE file was added using the ADD FILE menu of NERO EXPRESS later.

This time the magic was done and able to boot successfuly from CD.

Now the question, is it true the image file was converted into hidden track so that the content of the CD cannot be seen?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #67 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 3:38pm

erge

NeroExpress is designed to work only with a 1.44 MB boot disk--if you have the full Nero program (NeroExpress is a *lite* version and has fewer options than the *full* program), using *Advanced Settings*, you can make Nero work with the larger 2.88 MB boot disk option.

Quote:
My assumption was that the burned image file was somehow converted to hidden track --> IS IT TRUE ?

Yes, the boot sector on bootable optical media is *hidden* from *normal* Windows programs that show files.

Special programs such as *UltraISO* and *IsoBuster* will show the *hidden boot sector* and show an indication if the disc is *bootable*.  These programs will allow you to *extract* that boot image to your HDD, and then you can manipulate the boot files with various programs like WinImage, etc.

Quote:
Now the question, is it true the image file was converted into hidden track so that the content of the CD cannot be seen?

The content of the *boot sector* can not be seen (without using one of the special programs mentioned above)--data stored on the data portion of the CD can be seen with standard programs that access files.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

erge
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #68 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:22pm

thanks a lot Owl  Smiley

IP Logged

erge
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #69 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 9:58pm

Hi Owl,

I got another issue as to how to create boot image for USB Flash or External HD with USB interface. I guess both devices share same mechanism.

How do I burn the image?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #70 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 12:46am

erge

Not my area a expertise, but here's a couple Google searches that may help:

bootable usb flashdrive

and:

bootable usb drive

IP Logged

pikasso

Reply #71 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 12:28pm

hi all. Smiley

1rst of all, my english isn't very good, i will try to explain the better a can.

i can't call ghost.exe when a make a bootale cd.

i used ghost 8.2. i choosed a boot disk with the option to use network and i made all changes in config.sys n autoexec.bat.

it works everything fine until the part of executing ghost.

if anyone understud what i tried to explain, help pls Smiley

thankx Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #72 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 1:51pm

pikasso

If you're following the
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
--that Guide is geared towards Ghost 2003, which is a smaller executable program than Ghost 8.x.

Ghost 8.x on a 1.44 MB boot disk, either floppy or boot image file goes beyond the 1.44 max size and when burned to optical disk-it will fail to load.

Here's a reference on a work-around 
Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Read in particular, the last part of *Reply #4* for what to do if the boot image file is larger than 1.44 MB.

IP Logged

Steve
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 12:48am

Had a similar problem, and after a lot of headbanging, settled for a hardware solution - bought one of those little enclosures that turn any notebook hard drive into an external USB 2.0 drive ( ~$20 ). Pulled the HD out of the laptop, stuck it in the enclosure, plugged it into another computer and pulled all the data off of it. Since then, I've kept the little puppy around, and have used this solution an additional 3-4 times to recover files before doing full rebuilds of the laptop OS.

IP Logged

Knoware2
Ex Member

Bootable CD's of all sorts  to run Ghost
Reply #74 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 12:20pm

My thanks and appreciation to Rad and NightOwl and the many users who have posted both answers and questions in this forum.  I have acquired the answers to over a dozen questions concerning Ghost 2003/8.x without having to post the questions.  This speaks very highly of everyone involved.  I apologize if this post is techinially off-topic.  The kudos are well deserved and long overdue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print