Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Make a Ghost bootable CD manually?? (Read 12782 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Make a Ghost bootable CD manually??
Jun 24th, 2004 at 1:02am

Oh dear, where to start?

I have FIVE W98se OS's on my drive, cuz I use a bunch of programs that do NOT get along good together.  I use a boot manager, and each time I boot one of the systems, I hide the other four so it doesn't mess up my personal files on E drive.

One night I tried to use Ghost 2003 from my desktop and when it switched to DOS mode, it messed up my entire drive so bad I never want to try that again. It took me over four hours to fix the mess... and without Ghost, I'd've been fried!

Anyway, I'd like to know if it is possible to manually make a bootable CD.

Has anyone done this?

Or know where instructions are??

And what goes in each file??

Thanks Cheesy

IP Logged

certain1

Re: Make a Ghost bootable CD manually??
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 1:50am

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 2:09am

roxe

Quote:
One night I tried to use Ghost 2003 from my desktop and when it switched to DOS mode, it messed up my entire drive

and....

Quote:
without Ghost, I'd've been fried

hmmmm....Ghost screwed your system up, and it helped you unscrew it.  It just took a lot of your precious time--gota love a program that does that for you!!

Quote:
make a bootable CD

What exactly do you want your bootable CD to do?  Are you talking about booting your system to DOS, or like one of the Ghost type boot disks?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 3:24am

NightOwl,

Here we go again Cheesy

You made me laugh by putting the quotes as you did Grin

Quote:
hmmmm....Ghost screwed your system up, and it helped you unscrew it.  It just took a lot of your precious time--gota love a program that does that for you!!

Yep, I agree!

When I imaged the laptop (the owner is VERY happy btw), I put the image to my hdd and burned the CD after the fact. He uses two floppies to get to it... a W98se bud and a ghost.exe disk.

I can leave the CD open that way.

I'd think the hard part would be getting the files the way they need to be... once that is done, they can be used over again for each bootable CD.

I'm curious to see if it can be done... maybe this is what you need to do also in order to get mouse support on your bootable CD,  eh??

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 3:45am

certain1,

Thanks! for the link Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 11:20am

roxe

Quote:
maybe this is what you need to do also in order to get mouse support on your bootable CD,  eh??

(The above quote is in regards to another thread here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10872...)

Actually, I can make bootable CD's 'a dime a dozen' (well, really--a little more expensive than that  Cheesy), as long as I use the DOS version of Ghost and supply the appropriate  boot floppy in the floppy drive when Ghost asks if I want to make the CD bootable.  If the bootable floppy has mouse support on it, so too does the bootable CD doing things this way.  

It's only when I use Ghost under the Windows interface and it 'automatically' does everything for you and no boot floppy disk in the floppy drive is asked for, that I get a bootable CD without mouse support, even though there is mouse support as you watch Ghost create that particular bootable CD and image file, as I mentioned in the above thread.

Quote:
What exactly do you want your bootable CD to do?  Are you talking about booting your system to DOS, or like one of the Ghost type boot disks?

But, you need to be more specific as to what you want the bootable CD to do, and what programs do you want on it....

This may be helpfull:

Using Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Basic program (there are newer versions now--it's just what I have currently)--go to Start/Programs/Roxio Easy CD Creator 5/Project Selector/Make a Data CD/Data CD Project, and you get their 'Easy Creator CD' program.  Under the 'File' menu you will find, 'New CD Project/Bootable CD'.

I believe Nero has similar options in their CD burning program as well.  This may point you in the direction you want to go...

But, again, more specific info on what type of bootable CD, and what you want on it is needed to be more specific on helping.

certain1's link looks like it gives a good outline of how to proceed.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 12:44pm

NightOwl,

I have Adaptec's Easy CD 4.02. Checking it, I can make a bootable CD using a boot floppy.

Thanks for all your helpful info Cheesy

More fun things to try...
More fun things to do...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print