Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 rescue disk (Read 149736 times)
GURSEL YARKIN

Re: Ghost 9.0 rescue disk
Reply #45 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:17am

Dear Friends,

If you can register to Shareodie ( www.shareodie.com ) forum , please search for Ghost there . If the post is still there , the Norton Ghost Recovery Cd iso file can be reached in an upoad web site where the file had been sent by an Indýan ( I assume ) friend.The all information is in that post.If the post has been released , send me an e-mail ( gursel_yarkin@yahoo.com ) so that I can upload to any upload site you want , with the information in the Shareodie forum or a forum you tell me .

Hear from you soon ...

Gursel.

IP Logged

GURSEL YARKIN

Reply #46 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:19am

Dear Friends,

If you can register to Shareodie ( www.shareodie.com ) forum , please search for Ghost there . If the post is still there , the Norton Ghost Recovery Cd iso file can be reached in an upload web site where the file had been sent by an Indýan ( I assume ) friend.The all information is in that post.If the post has been released , send me an e-mail ( gursel_yarkin@yahoo.com ) so that I can upload to any upload site you want , with the information in the Shareodie forum or a forum you tell me .

Hear from you soon ...

Gursel.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #47 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 9:44am

Although the spirit of the above post by GURSEL is admirable, it seems to me that he is indirectly encouraging illegal use of a Symantec product that specifies a license of "use one copy of the Software on a single computer."

If you have purchased Ghost 9.0 and you did not receive a Norton Ghost CD/Symantec Recovery Disk CD, then the appropriate solution is to contact the retailer from which the product was purchased (or Symantec) for replacement.  In the absolute worst case scenario, buy another copy of Ghost 9.0 - I have seen it on sale for as little as US$10 on many occasions.

Additionally, call me suspicious, but I would not trust an ISO file for the Norton Ghost CD/Symantec Recovery Disk CD from an unknown source.  Backup is too critical a subject to risk in this manner.

IP Logged

frederick

Reply #48 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 3:23pm

I only have one problem when using the Recovery CD: after replacing the contence of the damaged harddisk with the .v2i-file, you have to reboot. There it all goes wrong: I can't reboot !

Untill now, I solved this problem like this
1) take the harddisk out of the pc, put it in a seperate case (so you have an external HD) and plug it to another pc (e.g., WIN 98)
2) With this other pc copy the bootfiles from a separate floppy to the 'external HD'
3) take the 'external HD' out of the case and put it back on its place

It sounds odd, but it works

Does anyone has the same experience or knows a better way to solve my problem?

IP Logged

Serhat

Reply #49 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 1:38pm

fawny1 wrote on Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:58pm:
I am using WIN XP and have been using Ghost 2003 which i am very comfortable with.  

I have just bought Systemworks 2005 which includes ghost 9.0.0.2583.  I have looked at this new ghost and right now I am very seriously considering removing it.  It has no tutorials and help does NOT help a lot.

With Ghost 2003 I always worked out of dos from the rescue disk.  My first question is:  Will ver 9 even make a rescue disk and if so, how is it done?

If i read the help correctly, I would have to boot from the NSW install disk.  I have tried this several times < yes my bios is set to boot from the cdrom before the hard drive> and it does not boot from the install disk.

As my hard drive is partitioned into 3 partitions I normally store images on the data partition as well as on DVD disks.  Before I go screwing this up, can this be done with v9.0?

Are there any good tutorials for using Ghost 9.0?

If I can get these questins asked I think can work my way through this.

Thank you

IP Logged

Sandra Jo

Reply #50 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 8:45pm

howdy everyone!

Well...just got a copy of ghost 9.0.  here's what I'm trying to do.  I made an image of my old computer's hard drive (c:) to an external hard drive (over a usb port).  Worked fine.

Next, I plugged the external's usb (both usb 2.0) into my new computer.  booted from the CD.  came up fine.  selected advanced  utilites and system restore.  everything went smooth....selected the image off of the external device...until I came to the destination screen.  the only drive that was listed was the external hard drive.  it did not list any other hard drives/media at all.  Now, this is a dell computer, so it came with all the microsoft who ha on it and I've been able to boot the machine to the point of windows coming up and being functional.

So..my question, my good sirs and madams, is how do I get it to recognize the internal hard drive so I can restore the c drive onto the local hard drive?  I've heard about partitioning....and if this is what I need to do, can someone please help me with this?  I do have a copy of partition Magic 7.01 available if that helps.

Thanks so much!
Sandra Jo

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #51 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:27pm

Sandra Jo, I'm assuming that you want to use Ghost 9 to "move" your PC hard drive from an old one to a new PC.  If this is true, the simplest thing to do is just physically remove the hard drive from your old PC and put it in the new one.  You then will probably have to do a Windows XP "repair install" because the PC's are not the same motherboard, etc.  
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xp+repair+install

or search Google for "XP Motherboard change"
http://www.google.com/search?&q=xp+motherboard+change

There are often problems doing this because each motherboard is different and the drivers needed for the new pc are not on the hard drive from the old one.

To do the same thing is Ghost 9, I think you are on the right track but Ghost 9 emergency Recovery boot CD wants to restore your backup image onto an unformatted/unused portion of your hard drive.  This is for your protection so you don't accidently overwrite a good partition.

Read pages 72-73 of the Ghost 9 User Manual.
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/9.0/manuals/userg...

which says in part: " . . . .

In the Restore Destination window, select the destination where you want to restore the backup image file.

Some of the drives listed may be invalid selections because there is not enough free space for the restored backup image file or because you do not have rights to the drive.

If you want to free up disk space, select a drive, then
click Delete Drive.

This will free space if a single volume space on the
hard drive is not adequate.
. . . "

Caution:  If you overwrite or delete your new PC c: partition, it is GONE.

Also, read some of the notes in the FAQ section about Dell pc's and considerations if your new one is a Dell.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

lefrere
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 8:46pm

The question about the DOS bootable disk is so simple.

Please answer only with YES or NO

Here`s the question:

Does DOS bootable exist with Ghost Ver 9.X ?

Thanks
Lefrere

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #53 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 7:37pm

Quote:
The question about the DOS bootable disk is so simple.
Please answer only with YES or NO
Here`s the question:
Does DOS bootable exist with Ghost Ver 9.X ?
Thanks
Lefrere

No.

IP Logged

lefrere
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Grin

Thanx

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #55 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 8:06pm

Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 run only in Windows XP (or Windows 2000).

There is a Rescue boot CD that you boot from in case you have a hard drive failure and need to restore your backup image onto a replacement hard drive.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print