Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Test Bootable Floppy (Read 132117 times)
john897578484

Re: Test Bootable Floppy
Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 3:45pm

its probably an unrecognised drive because DOS does not support the NTFS file format. it can only recognise FAT drives.

i have a problem of my own also, DOS says the command file that came with the download is missing or corrupt. (its there trust me) so it must be corrupt. is there any other place to download this from or how can i create a new command file?

IP Logged

O.Lamoree

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 11:19pm

Great work guys, ......but...... I have Ghost 10 and it is on the now defunct XP SP1a machine.  I can see the Ghost backup file on the back up drive in Restore Console, I can make the nifty Win98 boot disk on a secondary Win98SE machine...BUT.... the necessary program file, Ghost.exe is trapped on the C: drive as my Ghost 10 was an internet download, the one with the trashed XP install where it is installed and even the DL files is stored there. I tried an old Ghost 2001 v6.5 diskette but it does not show the Ghost 10 backup even on a Fat32 drive.   I have tried Repair Install, and during the WinXP file copy, lists anywhere from two to 9 files that "can't load" and altho the Repair says Repair Has Been Attempted Before and hit Enter to try to repair again, upon restart, I get the perpetual XP flash screen with the running blue line, but it never gets past that. I tried the SP2 XP Slipstreamed and it seemed to load but then upon reboot, the perpetual XP flash screen (without Professional)  It all started suddenly, "hal.dll is invalid, re-install the file" and I suddenly found that I had a Boot.ini file which I never had before and I have been unable to delete it nor get hal.dll to load....  This is the first time XP has betrayed me, and savagely!  Any ideas?  (R & R, lol, reformat and reinstall)  Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:48am

O.Lamoree

Unfortunately, you are *mixin' and matchin'* apples and oranges!

Ghost 10 does not run from a *ghost.exe* executable--and for that matter, doesn't run from a bootable floppy either!  You should have got a *.iso* file for burning a bootable CD--a *Recovery Disk*--that gives you access to your Ghost image for restoring should your WinXP OS go under.

Did you get some sort a *receipt* that allows you to re-download Ghost 10 in case of just this kind of problem--or didn't they instruct you on how to create a backup of the download for future use--I've never done it that way so I don't know how they handle it.

Since Ghost 9.x--older versions of Ghost are not compatible and will not be able to access and use the newer Ghost image files.

If you have WinXP--you always have a *boot.ini* file--required for booting--but it can become corrupt.

Quote:
It all started suddenly, "hal.dll is invalid, re-install the file"

What were you doing at the time--what exactly happened?

Using the *Recovery Console*, you might be able to repair the problem with *bootcfg /rebuild* or the *fixboot* command:

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

But, if you want to *protect* your HDD from loss of data, it would be best to create a copy of the HDD using Ghost 2003 from DOS onto a spare HDD so you can attempt repair on the copy and not the original.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 8:02am

Quote:
i have a problem of my own also, DOS says the command file that came with the download is missing or corrupt. (its there trust me) so it must be corrupt. is there any other place to download this from or how can i create a new command file?

A good resource to create all versions of boot disks is
http://www.bootdisk.com/

You don't need to be running DOS, Windows 9x, etc to create the boot disks.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 12:20am

Thanks Night Owl, but I guess I am screwed.  I did make the .iso but didn't burn it because my burner was not working right. Dumb, dumb.

I was only "wishing" that my old Ghost2001 disk would work..... As for a Boot.ini file, I was playing around with BootIt NG and always got a message upon Boot that "Boot.ini file missing or invalid, booting from C:\Windows"  and it would boot fine.  So I went to Run/msconfig and there was NO Boot.ini tab nor file.  I searched on the root of C: and there was no boot.ini file either (hidden files revealed) and I was not concerned because I read somewhere where XP doesn't need a Boot.ini file.....

I am not sure what provoked the missing/invalid Hal.dll message.  I had made no hardware adjustments but I did look to see about the missing Boot.ini file and made one, based upon careful assesment of what Fat32 disks I was running and carefully constructing the file accordingly.... and that is when the Hal.dll error messages started.  I tried reinstalling hal.dll in several versions that I found on the internet using Recovery Console but every reboot reported the Hal.dll error and I was never able to get past the XP start up screen.  I have made a DiskImage of the corrupted XP installation on the C: drive but have not yet formatted and reinstalled, hoping I could find a way around that to save my files.  I have no access to Ghost 10 but still have my old Ghost 2001....could I use it to make a Ghost image of the corrupt C: drive and save it for salvage purposes?  So now what I have is a Ghost 10 backup of the C: drive that is inaccessable because I don't have the Ghost 10 .iso burned which is trapped on the corrupt C: drive and not sure what I will be able to save from the DiskImage of the same drive.   I have "bootfix /rebuild" and "fixboot" with no success.

By the way, BootDisk.com is now $4 to dowload.  But is there anything there that would save my bacon?  Would you advise making a separate copy of principal data files on the corrupt C: drive in order to be able to say, copy MY DOCUMENTS to a new installation?  Can I save my Outlook Express files that way too?  I can't understand why the Repair Installation doesn't work and why I get "cannot load xxxx.xxx, press Escape to continue without loading the file" as it is an original XP CD, and every time I try to run the Repair Installation I get from two to 9 files like that and usually never the same ones, except for kbdes.dll which is always reported as not there. Appreciate your experience and insight and would like to hear your ideas.  Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:05am

olamoree

Quote:
I was playing around with BootIt NG and always got a message upon Boot that "Boot.ini file missing or invalid, booting from C:\Windows"

How were you booting to Windows before *BootIt NG*?--no error message prior to using *BootIt NG*?

Quote:
I had made no hardware adjustments but I did look to see about the missing Boot.ini file and made one, based upon careful assesment of what Fat32 disks I was running and carefully constructing the file accordingly.... and that is when the Hal.dll error messages started.

Your *boot.ini* file is messed up--if it points to the wrong partition, it will not find the *Hal.dll* file where it's looking and you get that error.

Try deleting that *boot.ini* file you created--if you were able to boot without it before--why not again--does that help?

(Can you post a copy of the *boot.ini* file you made?)

You can create an *emergency boot floppy* for WinXP if you have access to another WinXP machine with a floppy drive:

How to use System files to create a boot disk to guard against being unable to start Windows XP

You need to format the floppy using WinXP, and do not choose to make a *MS-DOS Boot Disk*.

Copy the indicated files to the floppy.

Here's a generic *boot.ini* file:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition
(1)
\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /SOS

To find the correct partition with your OS on it, try the above first.  Then change the *1* to *2* and try that.  The try *3*, and then *4*

Quote:
still have my old Ghost 2001....could I use it to make a Ghost image of the corrupt C: drive and save it for salvage purposes?

Is your file system NTFS?--not sure Ghost 2001 can handle it--may be able to make image of NTFS to FAT32, but probably not able to save an image to a NTFS partition.

Quote:
and not sure what I will be able to save from the DiskImage of the same drive.

Well, if you *purchase* another copy of Ghost 10, create the *Recovery Disk*, then you should be able to use that image to recover your image to that HDD (but I would get a spare HDD to use, and keep that original for *safe keeping* until you know you can't recover anything!), and, if you recover everything--get a refund for the 2nd purchase of Ghost 10  Wink !

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 11:37am

Wow, thanks NightOwl, lots of good info.

Yes, before BootIt NG, everything was peachy keen with NO XP problems whatsoever for years! with SP1a....  However, I think that, in view of the BING message, "Missing or invalid Boot.ini, booting C:\WINDOWS", it just booted from C:\Windows without
any message.  It was BootIt NG that brought it to my attention and confirmed in run/msconfig that there wasn't even a Boot.ini Tab (with Hidden files showing).  That is when I started screwing things up by making a boot.ini......

In Recovery Console I did try to delete boot.ini but get access denied.  I notice that when logging into Recovery Console that it asks for the Win installation, but does NOT offer me Admin login, and even when I call  LogOn, it askes which Windows installation I want to Log Onto and when I type in "1", it just returns the C:\Windows> prompt.  I DO have an Admin logon which is NOT "Admin".... but it never asks for it.  But maybe the Repair Installations I have run changed it back to *Admin* and therefore it does not ask for password.......

I did try copying NTLDR to C: and it accepted it, but when I tried to
copy NTDETECT (from the i386 file) to the C: drive, it said File Not
Found?????? and that was from CD drive:\i386 on the original XP disk.  I do see that when loading Recovery Console "NTDETECT
is scanning hardware...." so it must be there....somewhere.....

This is NOT the boot.ini file that I loaded to make a Boot.ini.
The one I did load is/was very similar to your example altho I don't have a copy of it available; *something* changed it.....

In Recovery Console at C:\ in response to type boot.ini,
I get:

[boot loader]
redirect=usewindows
redirectbaudrate=
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect c:\WINDOWS
C:\CMDCONS \BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

You say to try different numbers for the *partition(1)* and I am sure(?) that XP is on partition 1 of that disk....and there are only 2 partitions on that disk, a 16gigger with XP and another 68gigs with some file back ups.  Will await your further comments.

I do not have another XP machine to make your "generic boot.ini", if you find serious problems with the one above, however, I suspect I could use this Win98SE machine to copy your version to an existing diskette that was made/used/formatted in the XP machine and delete existing files before writing boot.ini ....is that possible? Using *copy a:\boot.ini c:\* .... does that sound right?

Yes, I could buy another Ghost 10 to create the "Recovery Disk" but have  no XP machine to make it on.... I could even find a "Trial Download" for it but still, no XP machine.

So, I have a Ghost 10 incremental backup 3 days old (from before the "problem") and a Disk Image of the screwed up C: drive for safekeeping.  Do you think I may need more?  I thought as a "last resort" I could reformat the C: drive, reinstall XP (and necessary proggys and files) reinstall Ghost 10 (I have the original Download on another drive), make the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk and then restore the Ghost image..... that is "last resort"
as I would prefer to repair what I have.

My file system is on 3 different drives with a total of 5 partitions (C & D on an 80 gigger, Fat32) (E virtually empty 40gigger, NTFS) (F & Y, Y being the backup partition, both Fat32).
  XP is in Fat32 and my backup drive is Fat32 and another drive is NTFS in order that I can store files larger than 4Gigs...  Maybe then I could use the Ghost 2001 to make a  "just in case" copy of the damaged C: drive, altho it is 9Gigs to back up?

Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 1:04pm

olamoree

Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Yes, before BootIt NG, everything was peachy keen with NO XP problems whatsoever for years! with SP1a.... 

Have you messed around with other *boot* programs?  Were you booting with some other method, other than the Microsoft's way?  I have never seen any reference to booting WinXP without *boot.ini* unless it was using a non-Microsoft boot method.

Quote:
when I call  LogOn, it askes which Windows installation I want to Log Onto and when I type in "1", it just returns the C:\Windows> prompt

You have *other* Windows installatiions to choose from?

Quote:
This is NOT the boot.ini file that I loaded to make a Boot.ini. 
The one I did load is/was very similar to your example altho I don't have a copy of it available; *something* changed it.....

How did you *load* the boot.ini you *created*?

*something* changed it!!!!!?  That makes me wonder!  What would be doing that?

Quote:
In Recovery Console at C:\ in response to type boot.ini,
I get:

So, where did this *boot.ini* come from?

Quote:
I do not have another XP machine to make your "generic boot.ini", if you find serious problems with the one above, however, I suspect I could use this Win98SE machine to copy your version to an existing diskette

So, you have a Win98 system available, and you said your WinXP is on a FAT32 partition.

Use the Win98 system to create its *Emergency Boot Disk*.  I believe that will have the DOS program called *Edit*.

Use the boot disk to boot the WinXP machine to DOS.  Change to the C:\ HDD, and at the DOS prompt type "edit boot.ini".

You should be able to edit the contents of the boot.ini file--then save the changes.  I would try this:

[boot loader]
redirect=usewindows
redirectbaudrate=
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect c:\WINDOWS

What happens now?

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 10:08pm

Thanks for your prompt response.  No, haven't used other boot proggys except BootIt NG to see if it would be right for dual booting with Win98SE which I never got to.  Before, it was the normal XP boot with a flash of the WinXP/Recovery Console screen that I had put up to avoid having to load XP to get to the Recovery Console, just in case..... Could it be that with the installation of BING that the boot.ini file was removed? or as a hidden file, modified?

No, no other Win installations to choose from nor installed, just the  WinXP/Recovery Console selection screen that lasts for one second (5 seconds now with your version).

For my "created" boot.ini file, I relied on information here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html
and used the example provided and installed it by moving it from NotePad to a diskette and then using copy to put it in C:\root.  I then checked it and it seemed to work, once or twice and THEN I started to get the hal.dll missing or invalid errors and it was downhill from there.  *Something* changed the boot.ini file and it may have been BING, but I am not knowledgeable enough to determine that --I am not even sure that the boot.ini file was "bad", it just didn't boot!  Now I can see that it is NOT just a simple job of re-installing hal.dll as M$ would lead me to believe, it would appear that you have to first determine WHICH hal file is needed and re-install that one, like halipsc.dll and other versions......That's another headache......

Took a look here: http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot2.htm
  to try to get back some original files and got thru Page 2 Step 1 but upon reboot, I still get the perpetual XP flash screen with no HDD activity.  Then went back into the Recovery Console and NOW, when I select the Windows installation I want to see, I enter "1" and up pops the Administrators Password dialog....that's rogress!  And the password was not taken back to Admin but was my own of two years ago.

Charlie White had done a good job on this article but I couldn't get past Step 1 to get access to the System Volume Information folder to try and pull out the various _registry_user_default, _registry_machine_security etc. files that he talks about.  I tried but see no way to get at them (to copy them) in Restore Console.

OK, was able to Edit the boot.ini file to your specifications (had to Attrib  -H -R -S first (lol) then I plussed them again and only added /noguiboot after /fastdetect to be able to *see* if anything is hanging up.

Results:  After *Verifying DMI pool data.....*
Black screen, no HDD activity, nothing on screen (but monitor does not shut off even after it's 15 minute setting) and that was with /noguiboot switch and when I removed that switch, again, the perpetual XP splash screen.

What's next?  Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 1:50am

olamoree

Quote:
Before, it was the normal XP boot with a flash of the WinXP/Recovery Console screen that I had put up to avoid having to load XP to get to the Recovery Console,

I was going to ask you if you had installed the *Recovery Console*--and if you got that brief flash of the *boot menu*--because the only way you get the *boot menu* is if *boot.ini* exists!

The fast one second flash of the menu was the *timeout=1* setting, and the fact that you installed the *Recovery Console* is why you get that listed in the *menu* choices--so you did have a *boot.ini* if that was happening before you installed BING.

Quote:
to try to get back some original files

Because your WinXP is on a FAT32 partition, you could hook it up to your Win98 system as a *slave* drive, and you should have access to the that *C:\* partition--it will be assigned a different drive letter--as will other partitions if you have other HDD's as well on that system--if the letters effect booting programs, you might get a bunch of errors saying programs can't be loaded--or it might *freeze* the system--but, if you can boot successfully, you could copy all the important data file from that partition to another HDD on the Win98 system.

You won't be able to run Ghost 10.x on the Win98--but you could probably get the download installation file, and if the *Recovery Disk* is a separate *.iso* file, you could get that, too!  If you get the *iso* file, then find someone with an WinXP system with a functioning burner and create that *Recovery Disk*--then you might be able to simply restore your backed up image.

In another thread on the forums--this was mentioned on how to contact Symantec for a replacement CD:

Pls help - Symantec Recovery Disc for Ghost 9

This link:

Order Information

Quote:
only added /noguiboot after /fastdetect to be able to *see* if anything is hanging up.

Try this switch instead--*/SOS*--so like this:

[boot loader] 
redirect=usewindows
redirectbaudrate= 
timeout=5 
[operating systems] 
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
/SOS
c:\WINDOWS

That gets rid of the WinXP *splash screen* and should allow you to see if there is an error screen *hidden* behind the *splash screen*.

Let me know if you are successfull in getting the important files off that partition--and if you can retrieve the Ghost download files and the *Recovery Disk* *.iso* if that's what you have.

And is there an error message now that the splash screen is gone?

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 4:57pm

I know I'm a dummy but please help. I have XP Pro. and I did the EasterEgg  trick down to the Ghost EXE. I haven't gotten that yet . Please lead me in the right direction.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 8:30pm

WilliamP

Not sure what *direction* you are looking for?

The *Easter Egg trick* is how you can format a floppy disk so it can boot to DOS correctly when formatting a floppy on a WinXP system--where the *std WinXP* format does not create a DOS bootable floppy.

*Ghost.exe* is the DOS Ghost executable file that you have on your Ghost installation CD, or Norton SystemWorks Pro installation CD, or on your HDD if you have installed Ghost to your Windows system.

The other DOS files are described in the links in the first post of the thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11106...

and the zipped file that has those DOS files are available here:

http://radified.com/Files/

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Night Owl I have Ghost on my computer . How do I get the Ghost exe. to the floppy? I have tried to find it . Don't know what I'm doing wrong. OK I finally found the exe. I had been looking for Norton Ghost  or Ghost not Symantec. So I have found the exe. How do I get it to my floppy?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 11:04pm

WilliamP

Well, there are multiple ways to transfer files in Windows--*copy* and *paste* is one:

In Windows Explorer or My Computer--highlite the *ghost.exe* file, right mouse click and select *copy*.

Put a floppy disk in the drive, and navigate to the A:\ drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer--click on the right panel, and then right mouse click and select *paste*. 

Ghost.exe should now be copied to the floppy disk.

If you want to create a subdirectory to put Ghost.exe into, first right mouse click and select *New* and then *Folder*--type the name you want--for instance *Ghost*, click on that folder, and then do the *paste* command above.

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #29 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 1:11am

Thanks for your reply Night Owl.  The only progress, so far, is that
for a moment, I got a screen that said, as my only two choices, choose SafeMode or RecoveryConsole and I clicked SafeMode and it opened!  However, I noticed that it only registered the C: and E: drives in MyComputer, primary and secondary partition of the first drive (The D: drive is a 2nd physical HDD stuck in between and
the F: drive is a big 160Gig as the 3rd physical drive). I am/was delighted to see that  all my files and proggys seem to still be there in SafeMode but as the C: and E: drive were the only ones showing, couldn't access my back up drive, F:.  In ControlPanel, tho, it listed the 3 physical HDD's in the machine and says that they are working..... I ran sfc /scannow and got a flash of a black square, ran some other fix-its that were on the C: drive and
when I rebooted, still perpetual XP loader screen.

I now notice that BootIt NG has disappeared from the scene..... 

Now, when I F8 to try for SafeMode, I get the screen run of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)WINDOWS(1)System32\Drivers\about 60 .sys and .dll files..... and it never goes any farther.  I would mention here that when I first started getting this "problem", I would get the "Windows was shut down to protect your computer (and so you can't fix it either!) and at the bottom, the cryptic 0x0000008C etc. and on the second line, SymSnap.sys and I investigated that and find it is a Symantec file from SNapShotDevelopment Edition Storage Craft Volume and I renamed it but it reappeared in System32/Drivers.  I mention it
only as it is the ONLY file that has appeared on an error screen.

Using a Win98 StartUpDisk (a handy Cerelli one), I have worked over the boot.ini file as you suggest using /SOS and after Saving and Type the boot.ini to see if all is well, rebooting and instead of of XP splash screen, I get the two-tone XP screen, two dark blue bands top and bottom with white Windows XP logo top right, light blue center, with the NON-moving orange runner at the bottom between the two blues and in the lighter blue with white letters, that says:

Microsoft (R)Windows(R) Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 1)
1 System Processor [992 MB Memory]

and nothing happens.......

(OT: Meanwhile, a friend came by with his digital Kodak camera wanting to download some pictures on the now full MCC chip.  Put in the EasyShare CD, loaded the proggy, and Powie! the Win98SE --AMD 550gHz-- machine BSOD to the death!  I removed all of the cards and still no joy, then the memory strip and that was the problem... now it is working.  Thus my delay in replying.)

I was wondering, IF I could get back into SafeMode, is there something that I could do (with only the primary first HDD showing) to improve the situation?

Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print