Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unmounted Drives (Read 44720 times)
ZebHood
Dude

Re: Unmounted Drives
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2005 at 2:23pm

Night Owl,

I selected Tools>Schedule incremental backups Base with incrementals button >select source drive and get the unmounted drive prompt.  I shouldn’t have used the word copy in my post.

The moving C drive dealt with remounting the drive not ghosting the image.

Moving is the wrong word. The operating system drive pointer being correct after these changes is what concerns me.

My impression of mounted drives came from this link provided by Symantec.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307889

This portion:
A mounted drive is a drive that is mapped to an
empty folder
on a volume that uses the NTFS file system. Mounted drives function as any other drives, but they are assigned drive paths instead of drive letters. When you view a mounted drive in Windows Explorer, it appears as a drive icon in the path in which it is mounted. Because mounted drives are not subject to the 26-drive-letter limit for local drives and mapped network connections, use mounted drives when you want to gain access to more than 26 drives on your computer. For example, if you have a CD-ROM drive with the drive letter E, and an NTFS volume with the drive letter F, mount the CD-ROM drive as F:\CD-ROM. You can then free the drive letter E, and gain access to your CD-ROM drive directly by using F:\CD-ROM.

Odds are my interpretation of this is completely incorrect.

Thanks for helping.

Zeb

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2005 at 2:57pm

ZebHood

Okay, that sounds like you are doing the proper steps.

So, the 'error' message is troubling--your internal HDD's with their assigned partitions should be 'mounted' already--the stuff about 'mounting' an additional drive seems to be regarding a 'virtural' HDD in RAM or almost like a 'swap file' on the HDD--but that should not have anything to do with your internal HDD's that have already been partitioned and assigned drive letters.

Sometimes the 'error' message a software program reports is 'inappropriate'--the software 'sees' an error situation, but does not understand what the error is--but it reports the 'inappropriate' error message because it knows there is an error--but really doesn't have the correct relationship to that error.

Is there anything you have set up that is 'different' or 'unusual' on your system?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2005 at 8:17pm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307889

is an interesting article but I'm sure you didn't create a mounted drive. Perhaps someone on the WinXP newsgroups could explain what is going on.

Brian

IP Logged

ZebHood
Dude

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2005 at 11:44pm

Sorry about the late response.  I had some things I had to take care of.

NightOwl wrote on May 1st, 2005 at 2:57pm:
Is there anything you have set up that 'different' or 'unusual' on your system?

I have obviously been thinking about this a lot.  Could this be my problem?

Does Ghost use a drive letter for incremental backups?

In reading the link to Microsoft, I read where 26 partitions is the max for drive letters.  I have 3 separate drives with partitions assigned through the letter (Y).

If ghost assigns drive letters, could it possibly be taking me beyond the limit of letter assignment and doesn’t know how to handle the necessity for a letter beyond (Z).  

Just a shot in the dark.  

Brian,
I certainly didn’t create a mounted drive.  I didn’t know what they were until this problem.

Thanks for everyone's help

Zeb

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2005 at 12:02am

ZebHood

Quote:
In reading the link to Microsoft, I read where 26 partitions is the max for drive letters.  I have 3 separate drives with partitions assigned through the letter (Y).

If ghost assigns drive letters, could it possibly be taking me beyond the limit of letter assignment and doesn’t know how to handle the necessity for a letter beyond (Z).

I would definitely explore that as a possibility!  You might have to figure out a way to reduce the number of partitions.  Let us know what happens.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2005 at 1:07am

ZebHood wrote on May 1st, 2005 at 11:44pm:
Does Ghost use a drive letter for incremental backups?

I

There is no drive letter for incremental backups. Incrementals go into the same folder as the Baseline backup. You make that folder choice when you create the backup job.

Incrementals are great. The are only a few percent of the size of the Baseline backup image and take around 15 seconds to create. I hope you get Ghost 9 working.

Brian

IP Logged

ZebHood
Dude

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2005 at 1:26am

I am in the process of reformatting a third drive to reduce the number of partitions with the hope that this is the problem.

I am leaving the mount the drive suggestion from Symantec alone due to NightOwl's response.

I really appreciate the help from you guys.

Zeb

IP Logged

ZebHood
Dude

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2005 at 11:37pm

At this point, I am about to uninstall NSW 2005 (that should go well) and reinstall Ghost 2003 since I don’t have incremental capability anyway. 

I realize it may be possible to uninstall 9 and install 2003 without removing the suite, but if I am going to do this,  I would prefer to have NSW off my computer.  It’s not my intent to be critical of Symantec.  It’s just NSW has been taxing to my computer and myself.

I would like to insure that I didn’t hose things with the changes and attempted undo of Symantec’s preinstallation suggests for Ghost 9 so if I have a problem with 2003, it will not be due to changes I screwed up to the following.

All of these changes (Symantec’s suggestion)

1.      c:
cd\
attrib -r -s -h boot.ini
2.      Without closing the DOS window, click Start > Run.
3.      In the Open box, type the following:

notepad c:\boot.ini
4.      Click OK.
5.      In Notepad, add the following line under the [operating systems] heading:

/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT .......(I know I got this deleted)
6.      If you see any other lines under the [operating systems] heading that start with "/NOEXECUTE," delete them.
7.      On the file menu, click Save.
8.      Exit Notepad.
9.      In the DOS window, at the command prompt, type the following:

attrib +r +s +h boot.ini
10.      Press Enter.

Would it not show up in other applications if I made incorrect changes to the boot.ini file that causes the C drive to appear unmounted to Ghost? 
My concern here is the same thing happening with Gho 2003.

Is there a way to look at the file attributes of the boot.ini file within windows?
Maybe I screwed that up.

I tried show hidden files>C:boot.ini properties.

Zeb

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 2:22pm

Brian, I too am using the default Windows XP SP2 Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings, and have observed no difficultities in running Ghost 9.0.

Therefore, I have chosen not to 'fix' what's not 'broken,' and have ignored the recommendations in the Symantec Knowledge Base document "Norton Ghost 9.0 compatibility with Windows XP Service Pack 2".

Anyone else experiencing the absence of a DEP issue with Ghost 9.0 under Windows XP SP2?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print