Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crazy SATA Image Problem.. PLEASE HELP! (Read 41070 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Crazy SATA Image Problem.. PLEASE HELP!
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2005 at 4:28pm

Rad,
You may be right on this but I'm not sure.

Aren't there some small applications that run in DOS and can read NTFS? I'm pretty sure there is and it would be an easy addition to Ghost, making it able to read NTFS. Writing to NTFS might be a different story.

To be able to exclude some files, such as the pagefile, Ghost must be able to read the Master File Table and that too is written on NTFS.

When a drive has been used, there is free space that has old information on it. Deleted files that have no reference in the MFT. Ghost, unless You do a Disk-to-Disk and use a specific switch to force sector copy, will not include the free space. In order to acchieve that exclusion, I believe that Ghost has to read at least the MFT ...... Undecided ...... which is written on NTFS.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #16 - May 29th, 2005 at 6:16pm

I've thought about those things, such as Ghost excluding the page file, which resides above the file-system level, and realize that, to some degree, you must be correct.

Reading & writing are two separte functions. I recall there was a free prgm that allowed you to read NTFS from DOS, but, if you wanted to *write* to NTFS from DOS, you had to purchase the pay version.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. It just seemed to prompt some thoughts.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #17 - May 29th, 2005 at 6:47pm

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030617/index.html
from which I quote:

Quote:
In the end, Win FS will probably emerge as an optional file system beside FAT and NTFS. It's also possible that Win FS will supersede its predecessors, however. That would most likely produce problems for multi-boot systems, since the only way Windows XP, Longhorn and Linux would all be able to access one and the same volume would be through complex methods - if at all.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 1:59am

Rad wrote:
"I wonder what Dan Goodell think."

I've been out of town for a week.  My wife just closed on a real estate purchase (second home) up in Oregon.  It's an empty house, so I didn't have internet access while there.  I would have made internet access a top priority, but it's her house and she thought furniture was the priority.  Grin

Anyway, it looks like this thread has run its course, so I won't prolong it.  Besides, looks like it got widely off-topic, anyway.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print