rootkits from sony (Read 22559 times)
nwps

rootkits from sony
Nov 4th, 2005 at 10:43pm

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: rootkits from sony
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 11:25am

For information on rootkit detection options, see the thread "Rootkits:  Beyond Viruses & Spyware" on this forum at:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11219...

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 3:02pm

And the expected security threats arising from Sony's rootkit are beginning to appear:  See "New virus uses Sony BMG software" on CNN at http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/11/10/sony.hack.reut/index.html

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 2:35pm

CNN is now reporting:  "Sony to halt use of controversial CD protection" - see http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/11/sony.copyprotection.ap/index.html

These actions by Sony have resulted in one irrevocable decision for me:  I will never, never purchase any Sony product for the remainder of my earthly days.  Any company that is more concerned with protecting its copyrights than with protecting its customers is not worthy of my business.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 3:09pm

Pleonasm

You do realize that the main reason we get so much spam is that Microsoft's programs are geared toward making it easier for business to mass-merchandise to the feeble minded masses--and their web products are geared towards these multi-media glitz websites that are riddled with security openings!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:58pm

Ah, NightOwl, I agree with your observation.  But in this case, we have a major company - Sony - that knowingly and willingly choose to infect customers' PCs with a rootkit that can facilitate a virus infection.  The fault is clearly that of Sony, and not of Microsoft.

I think Sony's behavior is disgraceful.  They should be ashamed.

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 7:44pm

Nightowl,

Microsoft's actions, past, present and future,  aside, don't you think Sony knew that hackers could, and would, hide behind their rootkit copy protection setup?  That is what I find to be inexcusable - I think they had to know (they are not a small company with very limited resources), yet they still used the scheme. 

thorin

thorin

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:21am

Pleonasm and thorin

Don't get me wrong--I am not trying to *apologize* for Sony's stupidity--I loath any company the puts something on my system without making it clear what they are doing--Symantec does it with their bloated *SystemWorks* all the time--I wish they would install the software and leave it to me to configure and choose what to have running in the background--I spend the first hour after installation turning off all the hidden processes that I didn't really want running--Intuit with their TurboTax software whose EULA allows one to have a backup copy of their software, used a *spyware* company's anti-piracy software that would *break* my RIAD mirror array each time I ran Turbotax because it detected my mirror drive an *illegal* attempt to copy their software--
my point is/was that Sony is not the only/or first company to purposely create software that is not primarily in the best interests of the customers they sell their products to!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 12:50pm

Good points, NightOwl.  With respect to software, the rule is "let the buyer beware."

I selected TaxCut for preparing my personal family taxes rather than TurboTax for the reasons you stated in your post, and have been using it over the years.  My understanding is that Intuit has since disabled the spyware scheme in TurboTax, but even if that is true, I still will not 'reward' Intuit for their bad behavior by buying their products.  They have lost this one customer for life.  Period.

Concerning SystemWorks, though, I'm confused.  Yes, the package installs with a set of standard defaults that typically need to be customized, but what do you mean by "turning off all the hidden processes that I didn't really want running"?  I would be curious to learn exactly what you disable in SystemWorks.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:50pm

To all

Happened across this web page--haven't listened to the offerings as yet--but looks relevant:

Security Now

IP Logged

nigol

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:39pm

Never expected the story would make it to
the comicstrips :http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/cx_ft_uc/latest
date: Mo Nov 21

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:27pm

A fascinating and technically detailed log of this saga may be found at http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/. ; Highly recommended reading for all.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:40pm

The State of Texas is in the process of suing Sony.  If successful, they seek to collect $100,000 in damages for each violation of the state's Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act.

Sony is about to learn what most Americans already know:  "Don't Mess With Texas!"

Reference:
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2005/112105sony_pop.pdf

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 1:48pm

The arrogance of Sony continues.  Although the company recalled five million CDs with the rootkit software, they continue to distribute CDs with "hard-to-remove software that alerts the company whenever a CD loaded with its technology is played" (according to the Los Angeles Times).

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 2:39pm

Pleonasm

I saw a local newspaper tech article about two weeks ago that said Sony has created a *uninstall* fix that you can download from a website--sorry--I don't know the details--but, the gist of the article was
you have to let the website *prep* your system to accept the download--but, turns out that *prepping* leaves your system open to downloads from other web sites that know how to exploit whatever it is the Sony's *prepping* opened, and apparently leaves *open*!

I don't know how true this is--anyone *in the know* that can confirm this?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print