Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems (Read 160637 times)
Ghost4me

Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:36pm

Is anyone else having problems testing or recovering with the new version (Ghost 10) recovery CD?  I can create images under XP Ghost 10 just fine to a WD 250gb drive which is in a Bytecc external USB2 enclosure.  However when I boot Ghost 10 from their recovery CD, it does NOT recognize the USB2 drive--hence I can't reover anything.

I have tested with a different Western Digital External USB2 drive (both enclosure and drive by WD).  With that one everything is recognized and restores fine.

Also, BOTH externals work fine with Ghost 9, so I doubt it is "a user problem".

I've spent several weeks with "live" support followed by email support.  No resolution except "try this", "run this", "report back on this", etc.

I found this thread that seems to show others having similar problems:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=129743&start=0

Am I alone here?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 10 Recovery CD problems
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:27pm

John. wrote on Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:36pm:
"... to a WD 250gb drive which is in a
Bytecc external USB2 enclosure
.  However when I boot Ghost 10 from their recovery CD, it does NOT recognize the USB2 drive--hence I can't recover anything..."

I know almost nothing about Ghost 9 - and even less about Ghost 10 - but I do have extensive experience with external enclosure kits employing USB 1.1, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and SATA 150 with DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003.

The Ali M5621 device controller in my Bytecc ME-320U2 is totally hostile to the Norton/Iomega USB 2.0 software associated with Ghost 2003, but NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine remedies that incompatibility.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Ghost4me

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 8:35pm

I have the Bytecc ME 350U2 enclosure which has the Prolific PL-2507 chipset in it.

There is a F6 for additional drivers during the XP PRE-enviornment boot (for scsi).

Are there drivers for these chipsets that function in the pre-xp environment?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:13pm

John. wrote on Nov 12th, 2005 at 8:35pm:
"... the Bytecc ME 350U2 enclosure has the Prolific PL-2507 chipset in it..."

Hmm, yet another chipset.  Be advised that we substitute Panasonic USB 2.0 drivers for Norton/Iomega drivers in the
config.sys
file for employment during bootup into the DOS-based mode of Norton Ghost 2003.  Since I am assuming that you are working totally within Windows XP, I am indeed at a loss.

Nonetheless, it might not hurt to peek at this thread if you are interested in downloading the two drivers alluded to:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11249...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 9:44pm

Thanks.  I just tried those 2 .sys files on a diskette with F6 without success.

Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 come with a self contained boot CD that boots into an XP-like environment (similar to booting from the Microsoft boot cd).

Ghost 9 boot cd recognizes both external hard drives fine.  Ghost 10 only recognizes one of them.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:07am

I solved the problem (unfortunately without any help from Symantec):

1) There is a bug in the Norton Ghost 10 software and 2) an undocumented restriction in the manual.

1) My external USB2 hard drive which contains the Ghost Images is assigned drive letter z:.  The Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD uses z: as the drive letter for the ms-ramdrive ( z: ) boot process and apparently will not recognize any drive assigned with the same drive letter!

Note:  There was no error message to that effect!

2) There is no documentation in the user manual that I'm aware of that points out restricted drive letters.  There are 3 I believe from looking at the recovery environment:

z: ms-ramdrive
s: cd-rom
x: nortonghost10.0

I found out about the Ghost error through extensive testing of my own.

As soon as I used the XP device manager to change the drive letter of the external USB2 hard drive from z: to k:, the recovery cd boot process worked perfectly!

Hopefully Symantec will publish this restriction and also put an error message in the boot cd software program.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:52pm

John. wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:07am:
"... My external USB2 hard drive which contains the Ghost Images is assigned drive letter z:.  The Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD uses z: as the drive letter for the ms-ramdrive ( z: ) boot process and apparently will not recognize any drive assigned with the same drive letter!

Note:  There was no error message to that effect!

2) There is no documentation in the user manual that I'm aware of that points out restricted drive letters.  There are 3 I believe from looking at the recovery environment:

z: ms-ramdrive
s: cd-rom
x: nortonghost10.0

I found out about the Ghost error through extensive testing of my own..."

I have a factory-installed 250 MB Iomega IDE ZIP drive on a Dell Dimension 8100 that I decided to redesignate from the default letter D: to drive letter Z: (for ZIP) in order to respectively have each pair of optical drives on my four desktop PCs enjoy uniform designations.

The notion of a software package having restrictions on drive letters never crossed my mind, so I am granting this thread a "sticky" with the hope of eliciting further comment along these lines.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:04pm

Ghost4me, have you notified Symantec about your discovery of restricted drive letters with Ghost 10.0?  If accurate, Symantec ought to create a Knowledge Base article on this subject for the benefit of all.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:18pm

Pleonasm wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:04pm:
Ghost4me, have you notified Symantec about your discovery of restricted drive letters with Ghost 10.0?  If accurate, Symantec ought to create a Knowledge Base article on this subject for the benefit of all.

Yes.  I originally opened the problem over a month ago with Symantec LiveChat; then they gave up and referred me to email support.  I jumped through number of hoops, sent this, answered same questions several times.  My last correspondence from them said that their development team was "looking at it".

Yesterday after I resolved the issue, I sent a lengthly email and requested that they add an error message to the Ghost startup process, and secondly add it to their knowledge base and to the readme.txt.  So far I haven't heard back.

Note, this did NOT occur with Ghost 9 Recovery CD, only Ghost 10.

I didn't realize the assigned drive letter was stored on the disk drive, but maybe that is just NTFS formatted drives.

Thanks to this forum for all the info and advice here.  It's the only active Symantec user-to-user support forum I'm aware of.  I don't know how you publicize your existence, but I'm sure there are many others needing help and not knowing about Radified Forums!
Smiley

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:49pm

Ghost4me, I too have looked in both the Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide and the ReadMe file, and see no discussion of restricted drive letters.

I consider this primarily a documentation problem rather than a program ‘bug’, since the application reasonably needs to use some drive letters for its own functionality.  However, these restrictions should be clearly noted in the User’s Guide.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 2:27pm

Pleonasm wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:49pm:
Ghost4me, I too have looked in both the Norton Ghost 10.0 User’s Guide and the ReadMe file, and see no discussion of restricted drive letters.

I consider this primarily a documentation problem rather than a program ‘bug’, since the application reasonably needs to use some drive letters for its own functionality.  However, these restrictions should be clearly noted in the User’s Guide.

I would maybe agree that technically it is not a bug.  So I would call it a "design deficiency".  Yes, it's working the way it was designed (although Ghost 9 does NOT have this design deficiency).

The problem is that when a user is at the disaster recovery level trying to do a bare bones restore, it's too late to say "read the manual" and say "please go back into XP and assign a different drive letter for your backup image on the external USB2 drive."

A better system/programming design that I would suggest is for Symantec to have the Ghost 10 recovery cd environment just IGNORE the drive letter of the USB external and use what is available to their startup environment.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 12:04am

El_Pescador wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 1:52pm:
"... so I am granting this thread a "sticky" with the hope of eliciting further comment along these lines...

'Unsticky!'

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:51am

Ghost4me,

The Ghost 9 RE doesn't assign the same drive letters as WinXP does.
Ghost 10 RE assigns the same drive letters as WinXP. For hard drives but not for optical drives.

I only plug my external HD in occasionally and it uses G: and H: drives. My optical drives are Y: and Z: (master and slave).  When I boot to Ghost 10 RE without the external HD connected, G: and H: aren't used but my slave optical drive becomes I:   My master optical drive (containing the Ghost CD) is X: as you have noted.

So there is no problem with an optical drive being Z: drive in WinXP but a big problem if the external HD is Z: in WinXP.

I agree. It should have been mentioned in the userguide.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 11:50am

'Re-sticky!'

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 2:19pm

Brian wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 7:51am:
Ghost4me,

The Ghost 9 RE doesn't assign the same drive letters as WinXP does.
Ghost 10 RE assigns the same drive letters as WinXP. For hard drives but not for optical drives.

I only plug my external HD in occasionally and it uses G: and H: drives. My optical drives are Y: and Z: (master and slave).  When I boot to Ghost 10 RE without the external HD connected, G: and H: aren't used but my slave optical drive becomes I:   My master optical drive (containing the Ghost CD) is X: as you have noted.

So there is no problem with an optical drive being Z: drive in WinXP but a big problem if the external HD is Z: in WinXP.

I agree. It should have been mentioned in the userguide.

I agree that the Ghost 9 Recovery Environment software that Symantec uses is different than Ghost 10.  I suggested to Symantec tech support they drop hard-coding the external drive letters in G10, but no response yet.

It apparently is NOT just z: that is restricted.  See this thread:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=129743&messageID=15...

It appear that anything *may* conflict with the new Ghost 10 RE!@

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print