Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
YaBB:  Yet Another Backup Box (?) (Read 17411 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

YaBB:  Yet Another Backup Box (?)
Aug 21st, 2006 at 11:36am

Previously unknown to me, I recently came across yet another backup imaging utility:  imageIT.  It's free, and might be of interest to some readers of this forum.

(How many different imaging tools does the world need?  Shocked)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: YaBB:  Yet Another Backup Box (?)
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 12:19pm

hi pleo.

i added this prgm to the (growing) list of "ghost alternatives" (i now count
), along with a link to this thread. See here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1a.htm

seems imaging prgms have become in-vogue.

i like that it supports dos and bart-pe.

they offer a free version (standard) version and a pro version for us$195 for a (10-license pack).

it says about itself: "Fast backup and restore using differential mode"

what is "differential mode"?

if somebody takes it for a ride around the block and kicks its tires, that would be cool.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 12:40pm

"Differential" is usually something like an incremental backup, depending on what company is using the term.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 1:40pm

“In general a differential backup backs up only the files that changed since the last full backup, while incremental backup also backs up only the changed data since last backup be it a full or incremental backup.”

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 9:31am

Actually, upon further reflection, the definition of a differential backup quoted in Reply #3 doesn’t exactly match my understanding of the term.

Consider this scenario:
  • Monday:  A full (baseline) backup is performed by User A and User B on their PCs.
  • Tuesday:  A differential backup is done by User A, and an incremental backup is run by User B.
  • Wednesday:  Again, a differential backup is done by User A, and an incremental backup is run by User B.
  • Thursday:  Both User A and User B perform a recovery operation to restore their PC to its condition at the time of the backup on Wednesday.
The backups done by User A and User B on Tuesday are operationally equivalent, since both the differential and the incremental backup are recording changes relative to the baseline backup performed on Monday.

However, on Wednesday, the differential backup done by User A is again saving changes relative to Monday’s baseline backup, whereas the incremental backup done by User B is saving changes relative to Tuesday’s incremental backup.

On Thursday when the recovery is performed, User A is only utilizing the baseline backup created on Monday and the differential backup created on Wednesday (i.e., Tuesday’s backup is irrelevant).  User B, however, must utilize all of the backup files created on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday – since each is relative to (or builds upon) the prior one in the sequence.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 11:10am

Ah, found an article (see What is a differential backup?) that confirms my impression of the differences between a differential versus an incremental backup.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print