Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to add drivers to the Recovery CD (Read 51942 times)
mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

How to add drivers to the Recovery CD
Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:39am

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Thought I would just drop in and share a way I have used to add network and HDD controller drivers to a Norton Ghost 9 or 10 Recovery CD.

This method makes use of BartPE builder but does not create a BartPE CD. It just modifies your Norton disk to add the drivers you are missing.

1. Download pebuilder from http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and install to your system.

2. Go to c:\pebuilder\drivers and add the drivers you need to add to your Recovery CD. Put network drivers in the "Net" folder and SATA, RAID drivers in the "SCSIAdapter" folder. Put each driver you add in its own subfolder. Just copy the Windows drivers completely from a floppy or other source.

3. Now run c:\pebuilder\pebuilder.exe.

4. Point the "Source" box to your WinXP/SP2 CD. You can copy the CD to a hard drive if you like.

5. Point the "Custom" box to your Norton installation CD.
Edit on 12/4/2006: You should copy the Recovery CD to a hard drive and point to the root of that.

6. Now click the "Plugins" button. Disable all plugins except the Custom plugin.

7. Highlight the Custom plugin. Click the "Edit" button. Remove the semicolon from in front the last line. Now change the word "Booting" to "Starting Symantec Recovery Disk". Save the changes.

8. Close the plugin window.

9. You can elect to create an iso image to burn with a third party burning program or burn directly to CD.

10. Now click the "Build" button.

The resulting CD works just like the original Norton CD except that it has the misssing drivers included.

Just note that this works for most drivers. However, a few devices require a BartPE plugin to work. If you have such a device and there is a BartPE plugin available, the plugin can be added to your build in the usual manner. The plugin would need to be copied to the c:\pebuilder\plugin folder.

Enjoy.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: How to add drivers to the Recovery CD
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:11am

mustang

Nice contribution--I think there will be more than a couple folks that can take advantage of this guide!

Do you happen to know--can this technique be used to add drivers to the WinXP installation CD--or does it only work with the Ghost 9/10 Recovery Disks?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:08am

mustang,

Thumbs up from me. I’ve tried it out.

In step 4 I used files on the HD as I’ve copied the WinXP CD to a folder for building BartPE CDs.

In step 5 I had to copy the Ghost CD to the HD. It wouldn’t build from the CD.

What an excellent technique! It needs to be in the FAQs because it’s a much easier way to add drivers to the Ghost CD than what we’ve been doing.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

Welcome to the forum and I’m looking forward to more pearls. By the way, do you know anything about Acronis BartPE plugins?

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:53am

Hi NightOwl,

Graet idea, why didn't I think of that.

I just tried it and it seems to work. I had to go to a DVD as it blew the capacity of a CD. I didn't go as far as testing it with a real install. I just went as far as to confirm it recognized my SATA and RAID hard drives. If you try it, you'll see that it starts very differently than the real Windows installation CD. I know I originally said this method does not build a BartPE CD but just modifies the Recovery CD to add drivers. I only said that so that people would not be put off by BartPE and not try the method. In reality, you are building a BartPE CD that contains all the files on the Recovery CD and used the shell of the Recovery CD. It looks and feels just like a Recovery CD because BartPE and the Recovery CD use a standard WinPE format to start. The customized Windows Installation DVD stated like a BartPE CD and came directly to the beginning of the install process. Becuase of this I can't help being a little sceptical. Later today, I'll follow through with a complete install and see if my Network comes up installed in Windows.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the input. I too had copied the Recovery Cd to my hard drive for step 5. I'll edit my first post to make that change.

Quote:
By the way, do you know anything about Acronis BartPE plugins?

Good one. I'm assuming you are my old friend Brian K from the Acronis and 911 CD forums. Am I right?

That was good work by serpico and you to add SATA drivers to the Recovery CD manually. My method just simpifies the process. BTW, I got onto it years ago from the PowerQuest site back when I was using V2iProtector. It was actually my first introduction to BartPE. As I remember, the instruction were vague and confusing. I eventually came up with this procedure by trail and error. Since then, writing BartPE plugins has become like a hobby. 

For those of you BartPE fans that don't know my work, you can see my plugins at http://www.mechrest.com/plugins.

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 11:20am

Hi NightOwl,

Well that was fun. I tried a clean install with the customized Windows installation DVD. It didn't work. I got two errors during the process. First, it couldn't copy the *.sys drivers for my SATA and RAID controllers. It knew what files were needed but couldn't find them. It wouldn't even look to the floppy drive at that point. I had to skip the files to continue with the install. Second, I got an error that Windows setup could not see the required WinXP config information. This halted the install.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 2:59pm

mustang, we have met before. I still use your UpperFilters.inf that allows hidden partitions to be seen from ReatogoXPE. Very nice.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 6:47pm

mustang

Quote:
Well that was fun. I tried a clean install with the customized Windows installation DVD. It didn't work.

Oh, well--darn!

But, thanks for the testing and your report back on the WinXP installation CD!

But, here's a new question--in your original post:

Quote:
2. Go to c:\pebuilder\drivers and add the drivers you need to add to your Recovery CD. Put network drivers in the "Net" folder and SATA, RAID drivers in the "SCSIAdapter" folder. Put each driver you add in its own subfolder. Just copy the Windows drivers completely from a floppy or other source.

I'm not familiar with BartPE, but I'm getting ready to try my first build--if your WinXPsp2 CD already has the needed drivers that are not on the Ghost 9/10 Recovery Disk--will those drivers be pulled in from the WinXPsp2 files when building the BartPe without adding them to the *pebuilder\drivers* sub-directory--this question applies to both building just a BartPe disc, and to adding the Ghost 9/10 Recovery Disk files to the PartPe as outlined in your posting?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 8:33pm

Hi NightOwl,

The answers are yes and maybe.

When building a plain BartPE disk you only need to add drivers that the WinXP doesn't support.

I'm not sure when using my method to modify the Ghost Recovery CD. I would test it if I could. In my case the WinXP CD doesn't have drivers for my SATA, RAID or Network controlers. You would need to test in a situation where the WinXP CD had at least one of your drivers that the Ghost Recovery CD didn't have.  If you have that condition, would you test both with and without supplying the driver and let us know what happens? Maybe another forum member would be so kind as to test and report the results.

IP Logged

bobmuppet
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 8:37am

mustang

You, sir, are a genius. Thx v much for an easy way to add drivers to the NSR CD. Why Symantec didn't make it as easy as you have is beyond my comprehension. Kudos!

bobmuppet

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 11:43am

bobmuppet

Thanks Bob. You made my day.

The main problem here is with Microsoft. They have kept WinPE under tight wraps. Only OEM's and Microsoft partners have access to it. When you get access to WinPE, it comes with tools to manage and customize it. It's easy to add drivers.

Interestingly, Microsoft has recently decided to give WinPE 2.0 away for free to everyone. It comes complete with all the tools and full instructions for using and customizing it (including adding drivers). Unfortunately, these tools don't work with WinPE 1.0 that the Ghost Recovery CD runs on. Hopefully, when the next version of Ghost is released (after Vista is released to the public) it will be based on WinPE 2.0.

IP Logged

bobmuppet
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 12:36am

mustang

Glad I made your day. You kind of made mine as well!

To anyone else (including mustang!)

1) When I booted from the CD I made using the method above my SATA drive got assigned C: but my USB drive didn't get assigned a drive letter. Has anyone else seen that?

I could access my USB Disk as "Disk 1:1" (I think that was its name) under Ghost 8.2 on my custom NSR CD and create images to it no problem, though.

2) In Ghost 8.2 it does not seem possible to view image comments prior to restore. Kind of a bummer as I store passwords, etc there when I create my images. Is this a known problem and is there any workaround?

Cheers

bobmuppet

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 12:58am

bobmuppet wrote on Dec 9th, 2006 at 12:36am:
1) When I booted from the CD I made using the method above my SATA drive got assigned C: but my USB drive didn't get assigned a drive letter. Has anyone else seen that?

bobmuppet,

Strange you should say that.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11441...

IP Logged

bobmuppet
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 3:24am

Thanks Brian. Guess I forgot how to use the "Search" button. And to think I actually did watch "Posting and you"... Wink

bobmuppet

IP Logged

bobmuppet
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2006 at 5:56am

Brian

You tha man!

From the thread you provided I found the following info:

Quote:
The Ghost 10 bug must be that it reads the DiskID (as mentioned in the link) and can't handle a situation where the drive letter conflicts with one that Ghost 10 has already used for itself.

which prompted me into realising that I had assigned X: in XP to my USB drive. Of course BartPE uses X: for a RAM drive so when I reassigned my USB drive U: in XP I could see it after booting from my custom NSR CD (thx again mustang!) as U: there as well.

IP Logged

Dooops
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 9:27am

Sorry to bump such and old thread but this seems like a great spot to get answers to my question.

What I am trying to do is add drivers to my Livestate Recovery Desktop CD using this PE. I followed the instructions in the original post to the letter but I get "returned error 5: Access is denied"

This occurs on various files in my livestate folder(the folder in which I copied the entire contents of the CD).  Some of the files exist and some do not.

I checked and they are not encrypted nor compressed. I have admin rights on my PC. I gave full control access to the files for every user.

I read somewhere that a virus scanning program could be causing issues. I disabled McAfee still getting the error. I tried running it in safemode...same errors.

So, does anyone have any idea why I am getting a returned error 5: Access is denied error?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print