Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 12 problems
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 9:49am

rleescott

Quote:
If I am understanding you, this is a serious lack in instruction by the wizard process?

Welcome to Symantec's User Guides  Smiley Clear as *mud*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 12:34pm

Brian and others.
I was able to boot the clone as a primary by using the fdisk trick as you said. I still want to be able to produce a copy that boots on its own. I am moving the copy to slave and am back to the original as a master. This time I am not formatting.The wizard provides no info as to how to delete the2 partitions that are now in the E: drive so  can have total unallocated space. Surely I don't need other software. Obviously right click on E: provides no delete option . Can you help me ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 3:50pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 12th, 2007 at 12:34pm:
The wizard provides no info as to how to delete the2 partitions that are now in the E: drive so  can have total unallocated space.

rleescott,

You can delete the partitions from WinXP Disk Management. Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right click a partition on your second HD, click Delete Partition. Repeat the procedure if there are other partitions.

I'm pleased fdisk worked. Did you use a floppy or the bootable CD method?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:01pm

Brian:
Here is the update including new problems.
First, I used the cd rom fdisk, but i tried the floppy, which would have worked, except I didn't know what to type at the command prompt.
Next, I verified that both the original and copy worked perfectly  for reboots, both as single drives, and as master/slave. Then I installed the original drive as master and copy as slave, rebooted and went to disk management. I deleted everything from the E: drive(the Clone) in the partition area. From there the drive no longer had a letter assigned.
I opened ghost /copy wizard and copied the C: to the newly unallocated space in the clone. I now had to option to expand to fill available space like you said. My question came when it was time to pick a drive letter. I want it to be C:, but C: isn't an option .I picked E: but none was an option as well.

First question. Does it matter if I assign a drive letter or is none ok, since on reboot the computer should assign a letter. Or if I choose none, will it be unbootable?

Anyway, I chose E: Finished the copy and converted  the copy to master and booted.
It recognized the drive and booted. Hooray., you say.
Well, now, anytime I boot, it goes to the black screen where I must choose to use win xp or winxp/2003. If  I don't choose in 30 sec, it then says can't boot normally and gives the black screen option of safe mode, last good config, etc, etc, or boot to windows normally. If I boot normally, It goes to login and from there seems normal. I did not power off or tamper with the startup to cause this. It acts like it is recovering from an improper shutdown, but it seems to be permanent.
I don't like the extra 2 steps of verifying the OS to use, and this didn't exist befor the copy occurred. How can I make this go away? Seems like the copy isn't as perfect as it should be.
Help?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:23pm

rleescott,

Almost there. You must have missed this in my instructions.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Quote:
Chose Drive Letter of “None”

Where does Win2003 fit in? I assume you only have a single partition on your old HD. WinXP.

Sounds like your boot.ini has an extra OS listed which doesn't exist. Maybe related to assigning E: drive. It's best if there is no drive letter when the clone completes. The new WinXP then isn't visible in Windows Explorer.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 9:07am

Thanks. I did miss the point about assigning a drive letter of "none". Yes the screen option on reboot is winxp pro or win xp2003. I don't even know what xp2003 is, or why my procedure would cause this. Once the reboot was complete the drive letter assigned was C: as would be expected. I will try again, and use none as a drive letter.

Uh oh. This is wierd. I just installed the original drive as master and single drive, taking the copy totally out of the picture. It also boots to the same 2 black screens where i must select xp/pro. It should not have been compromised when it was used to create a copy. If there is something wrong now with the original, a perfect copy will duplicate the problem, I'm afraid. Is this a MBR issue? Any suggestions as to how to make the black screen options stop?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 9:44am

rleescott

Quote:
Yes the screen option on reboot is winxp pro or win xp2003. I don't even know what xp2003 is, or why my procedure would cause this.

Well, you really have a *ghost* in your system!  I've not seen a WinXP2003 designation before--there is a Win Server 2003.  That choice is coming from the contents of your *boot.ini* file.  Your system now *thinks* you have in the past installed the *win xp2003* OS using the installation routine where it sets up *dual OS booting* using the Microsoft way of dual booting!  

Have you ever done this--experimented with a second install of an OS?

Are you the original owner/user of this HDD and/or system?

Quote:
Uh oh. This is wierd. I just installed the original drive as master and single drive, taking the copy totally out of the picture. It also boots to the same 2 black screens where i must select xp/pro. It should not have been compromised when it was used to create a copy.

Agreed!!!  Yikes--that's extremely *bad behavior* from using any version of Ghost to create a clone!

Obviously, we have not been *looking over your shoulder* at all the various things you may have done--but this quote from a previous posting by you suggests there are confounding variables:

Quote:
Ok. I did not use a brand new drive. I used a spare to test the product. Are you saying that because I formatted the disk before the copy wizard started, that my procedure created a partition that I didn't recognize? My memory is there were 2 lines in the receiving drive window, something like 19.8G and .2G for example.

I always use all the space on my drives as one letter, eg, C:, so there is no remaining space.

Obviously, your test HDD had more than 1 partition on it--even though you state you only create single partitions on your HDD's!!!?

*boot.ini* can be edited directly from it's location in the root directory using *Notepad* to open it.  Or, you can find WinXP's system editor function here:  Rt click on *My Computer*, select *Properties*, select *Advanced* tab, select *Startup and Recovery's* *Settings* button, and under *System startup*, select the *Edit* button after *To edit the startup file manually, click Edit* line.

Before you edit anything in your *boot.ini*, first post it here so we can take a look at it!

And make a backup of the *boot.ini* file in case you need to recover from any editing mistake.

And, you might want to create a WinXP based boot floppy that allows you to boot successfully to your WinXP OS even if your boot files have been corrupted or edited incorrectly:  How to use System files to create a boot disk to guard against being unable to start Windows XP.  Test the boot floppy to see that it works properly before proceeding to edit *boot.ini* on the HDD!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:10am

Uh oh, a new level of complexity to deal with. Before I used the spare drive as a slave to copy to, I did reformat it. Wouldn't that have deleted all confusing preexisting data?
Also, When I made the first copy incorrectly by copying to allocated space, the boot didn't go to the 2 options for starup . My dissatisfaction was with having to trick the clone into booting using the fdisk . This means the boot.ini file was only altered by the second try at copying into unallocated space. Also, why is my boot.ini file apparently altered on the original master as well? Supposedly nothing has been done to it except to use it as a starting point for a copy.
No I have never experimented with a dual os and I am the original owner of both hard drives in question.
Do you agree that if I try to copy from the original master again, that the dual boot option will persist, or is it possible that a fresh copy could work correctly if I use none as the drive letter? Then I could use the fresh copy to recreate the master.
I can just imagine the problems I will have dealing with the complexity of editing boot.ini. If i go that route I am sure to need step by step directions.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:54am

rleescott

Quote:
Do you agree that if I try to copy from the original master again, that the dual boot option will persist, or is it possible that a fresh copy could work correctly if I use none as the drive letter?

You do not have to edit anything to look at the *boot.ini* file as it exists on the original HDD--just follow the instructions I mentioned above to see what's there--don't edit anything!  Copy and paste to a post here the contents of that *boot.ini* file on the original, and we'll be able to answer your above question!

Quote:
I can just imagine the problems I will have dealing with the complexity of editing boot.ini. If i go that route I am sure to need step by step directions.

We can help with that--but let's find out what we're dealing with first!

Quote:
why is my boot.ini file apparently altered on the original master as well? Supposedly nothing has been done to it except to use it as a starting point for a copy.

That's a very good question--wish we had an answer!

Quote:
No I have never experimented with a dual os and I am the original owner of both hard drives in question.

My memory is there were 2 lines in the receiving drive window, something like 19.8G and .2G for example.

How did you end up with two listed partitions on that HDD?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 2:04pm

Thanks for the help. I have copied the boot log from the disk as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP/2003"

The boot log is the same for either the new copy as single drive or the original as a single drive. My other xp computer that is not involved in this problem has a boot record w/o the winxp/2003 line.

Now to your second question about 2 lines/partitions on the slave drive at first copy attempt:
I may have been reading the wrong line or be misremembering. However, I continue to wonder about 2 things.:
1)Since I reformated the drive before the first copy, wouldn't all data have been gone that could create this problem? Remember, this boot issue was not present after the first copy, only after the second copy when I copied to unallocated space.
2) the original master didn't have the boot problem until the second copy, but it has it now. Ghost has to have caused it in the master, even if I did something to cause it in the slave.

If I am wrong here, please clarify.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 3:35pm

rleescott,

NightOwl has been taking you through the boot.ini issue so I'll wait for his reply.

I think the problem is related to your assigning a drive letter to the second OS. The boot.ini shows that the second OS is rdisk(1) which is the new HD. rdisk(0) is the old HD. I've no idea why it's called Windows XP/2003. Perhaps a generic designation.

Don't be worried. It hasn't damaged your old HD. Easy to fix.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 3:35pm

rleescott

Quote:
1)Since I reformated the drive before the first copy, wouldn't all data have been gone that could create this problem?

Not sure you are using the term *format* correctly--at least as it pertains to Ghost imaging and restore procedures.

*Formatting* clears all the data in the file allocation table for that particular partition, and can change the file system structure, i.e. FAT 32, NTFS, or whatever--so it appears to any OS that the partition is empty (in reality--all your data is there and still intact!--a recovery program could bring it all back to life!--formatting does not *wipe* the information from the drive!)

*Partitioning* clears or re-writes the Master Partition Table to show the layout of the drive's partitions that have been created.  Again, the data on the drive is not wiped--it's still there!

For Ghost 12 (and 9, and 10), you want to *delete* the partitions to create unallocated space to restore your image of your original OS partition to.

Quote:
2) the original master didn't have the boot problem until the second copy, but it has it now. Ghost has to have caused it in the master, even if I did something to cause it in the slave.

It sure is looking like Ghost somehow did this--but, I'm not sure how or why--long shot here--did you tell Ghost to make the second HDD *bootable* while the original HDD was still hooked up?  Maybe this is what happens if Ghost sees two bootable HDD partitions being created on the same system!?  Notice the highlighted items:

Quote:
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP/2003"

The first line is referring to disk #0 (the first disk seen by the system's HDD controllers)--presumably your original HDD, and the second line referring to disk #1 (the second disk seen by the system's HDD controllers)--presumably the new test cloned HDD!

Quote:
Now to your second question about 2 lines/partitions on the slave drive at first copy attempt:
I may have been reading the wrong line or be misremembering. However, I continue to wonder ...

When you first used that HDD--did you partition it to be a single partition, and to be an *extended only* partition--no primary partition.  If that's what you did, partitioning tools create a *hidden* *dummy* first partition (shows up in PartitionMagic as a 7.8 MB partition/unallocated space)--apparently required by various file systems to understand and point the the second *extended only partition* so it's compatible with other file systems--that *hidden* partition will show up in tools like Ghost and PartitionMagic--but I don't think it shows in WinXP's Disk Management.

What tool do you use to partition your HDD's?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 3:51pm

Two posts at the same time. Must be a popular thread.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Brian

I have to be away from the computer for awhile--if you want to help rleescott edit his *boot.ini* file--feel free!

Looks like Ghost 12 will allow you to create multiple instances of your OS, probably either on a second HDD like rleescott has done, or I'm betting you can do it on the same HDD if it's restored to unallocated space--just have to assign it a new independent drive letter and you have a duplicate OS that you can choose from during the opening boot!!!!

I wonder if Ghost 9 and 10 have this ability as well!!!?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:07pm

Thanks night owl and Brian.
Please note that the boot log that I copied was obtained when only one drive was installed as a single drive, no master/slave combo. Yet, 2 operating systems are showing on the boot log. Just in case you thought I copied the log while both drives were hooked up.
Now, how do I do the "easy fix" to correct the problem? Thanks. Is that light at the end of a tunnel I see?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print