Oops, partition is correct. Sorry.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 12 problems
Reply #61 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 2:36pm

Here are the test results:
I made a new copy from the original to slave after formatting the slave. I did not delete the partition, just like the very first copy I made. This produced once again anon-bootable copy which boots w/ fdisk trick and from there is ok. It does NOT alter the .ini fil in scopy or original.

Then I installed original as master and copy as slave and formatted the slaveE: drive. This time I deleted the partition and copied to unallocated space. This produced a copy which boots, but creates the dual os .ini file in both master and slave.

Then I installed the slave as master and used the terrabyte copy/wipe program provided by Brian. I wiped the drive and I installed original as master and wipe as slave . It was unallocated space so i copied and got the same dual boot.ini issue. I used both none and E: as the target drive on 2 tries with no difference.

Then I installed original as master and copy as slave  and rebooted to terrabyte copy/wipe program and used the copy function. It produced a perfect copy, expanded the old partition to use the new available space, had no boot issues and no .ini issues. In addition, it copied both the primary partition as well as a 9meg empty partition that is automatically created when xp is installed.

Apparently there is no way around the .ini bug unless you install to a partition, then you must use the fdisk trick. I guess I would prefer the simple .ini delete and not have to keep track of the fdisk, but for $60 i am not happy.

G12 fails miserably for drive copying compared to a 2meg program that isn't even installed to take up space--and it's free.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 12 problems
Reply #62 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 4:44pm

rleescott,

Thanks for the good testing. You have demonstrated that Ghost 12 has a "feature" that we didn't want. The source partition shouldn't be altered by the copy process. That's unfair.

Yes, CopyWipe has some nice features. It clones a whole HD. Ghost 12 can't do that. Ghost 12 does partition copies.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print