Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reply text font size ? (Read 5368 times)
John.
Übermensch

Reply text font size ?
Oct 2nd, 2007 at 12:01pm

Is there some way for me to enlarge the font used in the Message-box-window when typing a response or quote?

I find I am often straining to read the small text that I am preparing.  The different templates don't seem to affect the Message-font.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Reply text font size ?
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:23am

Ghost4me

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who finds that text size challenging  Wink !

I've been meaning to ask Rad to look into this issue, but he's been preoccupied recently--as I have been as well...so being a non-critical issue--it has not been on my *radar* screen recently!

But, now that you mentioned it, I will see if Rad has time to look at this.

In the forum's administration area, I have found options to possibly control the default font sizes for different areas where one enters data in an entry field, such as the *Post Reply* *Message:* area where I'm typing this now.  But, when I attempted to change the settings, the forum did not respond to the change!

If you go into your *Profile* area, and look at the *PM Preferences* tab, there is an entry box there for an *Ignorelist*.  Pay attention to the size of the font there by entering some random text data.

Now, go to the *Options* tab, and towards the bottom, select the drop-down box for *Which template would you like to use?*, and select the *TestDefault_large* option (this is a test template I created to see if I could change the font size in the various entry boxes on the forum).

Now, you should have a much larger font size for the entry boxes in the *Profile* area.  But, this change does not work, at least for the *Message:* entry box when you go back to the regular forum areas.  I think it does effect some of the other entry boxes--can't remember now!

I've looked at the web page coding, and I think I have found where the coding of the page font size occurs--it's supposed to get that information from a *css stylesheet*, but there appears to be *hard coding* on the main forum pages that seems to over-ride the information that is read from the *stylesheet*.

I'm not completely sure, but I think when the templates are tweaked in the Administration area, the font size for entry boxes gets changed in the *stylesheet*.  But if a given page for the forum has *hard coding* that's present, then the *hard coding* over-rides the *stylesheet* code!

And, there does not appear to be any *hard coding* present on the forum pages that control the *Profile* area--so my changes to the templates in the Admin area can control that font size in the *Profile* area!

I suspect when Rad setup this new forum, that *hard coding* crept in while he was setting up the color schemes--but even the *default* coding has that *hard coding*--so maybe it's a general *bug* that came with the original software--I don't know!

Rad

If you have time, I can share the coding that seems to be over-riding the *stylesheet* coding for the templates.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Reply text font size ?
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:11am

NightOwl, thanks for the explanation.  I changed my profile template some time ago to medium or large which works fine.  It is just the Message entry box that is still small.

It's not a big deal, but I find that after entering comments, I often have to modify them after proof-reading them in the thread with larger font. 

My eye-balls just are getting too old!   Shocked

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print