Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Any missing posts or threads following upgrade? (Read 88148 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Any missing posts or threads following upgrade?
Jan 22nd, 2008 at 3:39pm

Far as I can tell,
all
posts/threads have been transferred from old YaBB 2.1 directory.

Any problems with missing or can't-read/access posts/threads?

I know about Pleo's thread with Magoo, but any others?

Definitely problems transferring the *bigger* files. Most were small .. 3-to-8 KB. But some were ~100 kb. Had to transferred separately. FTP client (server) choked. Kept spitting them out when I'd try to up 50 files at a time.

Do the math. 50 files/transfer. How many transfers to reach 25,000? Ansr: a *lot*. (My FTP client
caught on fire
.)

Thought my archiving prgm (Winzip) was locked up after I tried to execute the tarball (1.2 gig). Was getting ready to terminate. When all these files start extracting. Then, after extracting for a *long* time I
ran out of disk space
(on my laptop) right at the end. Had to burn files and delete to make room for the 32K posts. That's what took so much time.

Gonna work on transferring member's accounts now. Only 500 of them missing. Small potatoes compared to 25K missing posts. Takes forever just to *extract* 35K files from the back-up tarball I downloaded (1.2 gigs compressed). Currently extracting members/ and /boards.

I saw many ugly threads at the YaBB forum when I was researching the upgrade .. so I knew it could easily go south.

Some of the problem files/threads:

1144131251.txt
1131831389.txt
1117736753.txt
1116434248.txt

Another source of problems is two versions of same user_name, with one having a Capital letter (which Linux/Unix allows and recognizes). e.g. Mongo vs mongo. Sometimes they're two different names, and sometimes they're the same. Depends what program you ask. Trouble.

My host says our CPU usage has decreased, but we are still using too much *memory* to be moved off the "stabilization" server. (Where all badboy-sites are banished.)

I am now forwarding the old YaBB 1.4 forum, which we were using as an archive, and cuz search engines knew it better than the new forum (this one). So that should kill a lot of CPU usage, no longer having to service those (archived) posts.

threads and
posts. Does that sound right? I shouda looked before starting the upgrade.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Re: Any missing posts or threads following upgrade?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 9:36pm

Update .. completed restoring member accounts. Each member acct has between 2 and 6 files. Lotsa file transfers, and acct rebuilds.

Any problems?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 10:57pm

Rad wrote on Jan 22nd, 2008 at 9:36pm:
Any problems?

Not thus far, looks like your hard work has paid off and things seem fine from here; works great in the feed reader and on the google homepage. Nicely done!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 11:51pm

Thanks Nigel.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 11:57pm

Rad

Quote:
Any problems with missing or can't-read/access posts/threads?

The *law of unintended consequences*!!!!

Quote:
I am now forwarding the old YaBB 1.4 forum, which we were using as an archive, and cuz search engines knew it better than the new forum (this one). So that should kill a lot of CPU usage, no longer having to service those (archived) posts.

Looking back, probably should have retained the same sub-directory structure back when it was v1.4 and you upgraded to v2.1--should not have created that new *yabb2* directory--should have kept it as it was and just did the upgrade to the program files in place!!!!

Reason--now that you are forwarding from the v1.4 address to the v2.x address, all the old links in the threads prior to your upgrade to v2.x are now *dead* links!!!  You get forwarded to the main screen of the *new* forum, and not to the actual referenced thread!

If you had left the directory structure as it was, and upgraded over the old program files, the search engines would still have found the same active links as before--and now this upgrade would also have the same directory linkage--note for future consideration--don't make a new directory for a new version of the forum software when/if upgrading!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 12:17am

The old and new forums (v1.4 vs 2.x) use different URL structures. It was not possible to get Y2.x to imitate Y1.4 URL structure (which included the board_name).

All Y1.4 posts/threads have been imported to this forum.

It is not difficult to tweak a Y1.4 link to point to the same thread in Y2.x. See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1174945931

Y2.x URL structures are much cleaner, and I read there was a reason for the change, altho, I can't recall why right now .. cuz I have no brain left. =)

I am trying to minimize my impact on server resources, as Lunarpages wants me to upgrade to VPS acct (for $40/month).

.. which we may have to do in the end.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:05am

Rad

I stand corrected!  I thought there was just a sub-directory name change, but I see now that the way the board references and calls for a thread in the v2.x is a different structure, as you mentioned, than for the v1.4 software!

Here's an example of an old v1.4 style link:

Quote:

and here's the new style:

Quote:

The differences are here:

Old style:  /YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;

New style:  /YaBB.pl?

I wonder...that's a pretty radical change--everyone using the v1.4 would be hit by that same issue of loosing their ability to reference all their old links unless they kept their old board active like you did.  Didn't the YaBB folks create some sort of a conversion program (tool) to update all the old style links to the new style?  Seems like they would not want to leave everyone in that bind of incompatible links in old posts after the upgrade!

Seems like a *search and replace* function that can look inside each thread file could accomplish that conversion!?  But, I'm not smart enough to know what the problems with such a tool might be!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:14am

Nigel Bree

Quote:
looks like your hard work has paid off and things seem fine from here; works great in the feed reader and on the google homepage. Nicely done!

The *RSS* link at the top of the *Home* page for the forum appears only if using the *Forum default* template--did you set the RSS feed from that template?  

Can you change to other templates once that's set up, and still maintain the feed?  

Can the RSS feed be set up from other templates that do not show that button at the top of the *Home* page?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 11:51am

RSS feeds are based on a url that points to an XML view of the forum data.  It should be completly independant of any theme you see when you view the actual forum page.  Once you've found the link, it should work no matter what theme you use.  Finding the link might be the hard part for people using the default theme.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:07pm

I am not yet feed-savvy, tho I have "Learn XML" on my list.

The links inside quotes are hard to read. I recall that problem with the last set up of Y2.1.

I'd like to change the color of links to something like "#0066FF" or "#6699FF", which are dark blue. Should work okay both in the standard forum or the quotes.

Now that I know CSS magic. I can also code a link to change inside quotes.

Each "style" has its own *.html file, so it might be that the RSS feed wasn't coded into the blk_gry3d template.

The forum uses a number of templates, html and css files to display the end-result page. Exactly how all these work together is a mystery to me.

But we can always copy-n-paste the RSS code from the default style into the others. That's easy.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:16pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:14am:
The *RSS* link at the top of the *Home* page for the forum appears only if using the *Forum default* template--did you set the RSS feed from that template?

I used the blk_gry3d template; although the RSS isn't a regular link on the page itself, it's also embedded as a link rel="Alternate" element in the page header and that's universal. It means that RSS-aware browsers and search engines (Google do indexing of RSS feeds in "Google Blog Search") can snag feeds as a universal feature.

In FireFox, for instance, if a page advertises a feed this way the standard RSS icon appears in the browser address bar. For this forum the RSS feed itself isn't styled, but if you want to make it more browser-aware a good thing to do is separately style the RSS XML using an <?xml-stylesheet> processing instruction, so things that scrape the text can do that and browsers can render it in a more fancy way.

If there are mutiple kinds of feeds for advanced users you can have them advertised with multiple link rel="Alternate" elements and most browsers will turn their RSS feed button into a menu.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:39pm

I am now tweaking board styles. Since reading books on xhtml/css, i actually know what i'm doing when looking into those files. kinda cool.

your thots?

1. changed color of LINKS in main forum area from orange-ish to dark blue (#0099FF). I can pretty change *anything* .. with my new skillz. =)

http://radified.com/index2.html

Rad wrote on Jan 23rd, 2008 at 12:17am:

Okay, update. I figured out how to make the color of the link in a quote a DARKER shade of blue (independent of the regular (non-quoted) link. Can everybody see it good now?

I can see the non-quoted blue link pretty good. Bright-enough blue, but not too bright.

2. increased width of main board ("container") to 96% (from 90). we were wasting too much space on the side margins.

3. changed the gfx from "blk_gry3d' to those of a *different* mod (blk_gry3d uses "default" gfx .. as it has no special gfx of its own) .. different style called "black". You can check out this style in your preferences. I didn't like it quite as much (after a while) as this one .. tho I *do* like their gfx (better than "YaBB default" gfx, which blk_gry3d uses.

You can notice these new "black" style gfx most clearly right above the PostReply box.

4. lowered max allowable post size from "9999"to "6666" characters, which is still pretty big. I think default = 5500. This will make big posts smaller. I was have having trouble transferring larger posts (~100KB*.txt files). Ppl can always break up their large posts into 2 parts (or 3...).

THIS post, for example, uses slightly more than ~1,650 characters.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:02pm

Not sure if this is related, but when reading a post, there doesn't seem to be any way to return to the threads of that board.  Only way to go back "up a level" is to go to "home".

I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday, so maybe some change today caused this. ??

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:03pm

Good stuff. Incidentally, the old blk_gry3d template doesn't show the forum-level navigation hierarchy when you view a post (it lists the moderators in a "navbar" div but doesn't actually show what forum the post is in, which it used to). No big deal, though.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:04pm

Oops.  Now I see it again, the title line "Radified Community Forums > Radified ... "

Must have been an optical illusion.  sorry.

P.S. It would be nice if that title line were also displayed at the BOTTOM of a long list of replies.  That way you don't have to manually scroll up to the top just to "return".

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print