Send Topic Print
Magoo: VPS Admin (Read 126555 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Magoo: VPS Admin
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:04pm

Have you seen these search engine bots here?

Quote:
Search Engines: 50
Yahoo! Crawler (34), Googlebot (1), Yandex (1), Microsoft Live Search (14)

We've had up to 68 here today. Wonder what effect they have on resource usage.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 6:21pm

Received this today:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

After reviewing your account, it seem that you are still using excessive resources. Unfortunately, we would not be able to move off the temporary server at this time. Here is your resource usage for today:
-----------------------------
| CPU usage: 2.89
| Memory usage: 0.84
| MySQL usage: 0.1
|
| Top Process %CPU 30.0 [php]
| Top Process %CPU 26.0 [php]
| Top Process %CPU 24.0 [php]
-----------------------------

The acceptable usage range for a shared environment accountis 1.0% average %CPU or less, 1.0% average %Memory or less and 0.3% average %MySQL or less.

Please, continue optimization/updating of your PHP scripts to reduce the load average of your account.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns and we will gladly assist you.

Thank you for your attention on this important matter.

This is very weird, cuz I do not use php. I mean, I would *like* to, and I have "Learn PHP" on my list of things to do .. but so far .. I haven't. I have *one* PHP page.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 9:09am

Rad

Isn't there a possible *intermediate* solution--such as paying a little more for two *units* of shared hosting to cover the extra usage?

And, shouldn't Lunarpages be able to use a similar program to *Task Manager* which can show which process or program is using the various CPU cycles--I don't know anything about *server* software--but seems like that tool should be available!  If they told you that, then you'd know where the problem(s) is/are.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 7:29pm

Good question.

Just in - 2 emails:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

We apologize for any inconvenieces caused. Looks like we sent stats for the wrong account to you. Here are your stats:
----------------------------
| CPU usage: 3.68
| Memory usage: 1.05
| MySQL usage: 0.0
|
| Top Process %CPU 75.2 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
| Top Process %CPU 65.3 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
| Top Process %CPU 60.0 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
----------------------------

Please, continue optimization/updating of your peArl script to reduce the load average of your account.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns and we will gladly assist you. Thank you for your attention on this important matter.

and

Edited:
Hello,

We apologize for the misinformation of the stats previously given to you. I have checked your correct stats on the server and have found that your site is above the allowed resource level. We will need you to review your account to help resolve this issue. you would need to review your account for scripts that may be the cause. Please check ones such as forums, blogs, content management systems, and galleries as these are especially likely to create high usage.

Please note that the acceptable usage range for shuttle and voyager plans is 1.0% average %CPU or less, 1.0% average %Memory or less, .5% mysql or less and Top Processes below 20%.

radified.com
cpu% 3.70
mem% 1.05
sql process 0.0
Top Process %CPU 75.2 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
Top Process %CPU 65.3 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
Top Process %CPU 60.0 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl

If you should have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact our support team we will be happy to assist you further.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 11:16pm

Wow...
Our CPU usage trippled in a few days.  I do think those search bots have something to do with it.  Might just be because of the new forum - they have to get it all indexed now that they've found it...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #20 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 11:28pm

The URLs of the "new" forum are same as those of old, so shouldn't look any different to search engines.

I'm sure the bots were here all along .. only now they are *identified* as bots.

I'm about out of tricks. VPS is looking more & more like a reality.

I like the idea. Only thing I don't like is the price. =/

Tho it seems like - with them saying we're at 3.3% - that even VPS (which allows 2.5%)  won't be enough.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 4:28am

Is VPS actually limited to 2.5, or is that what you are guessing based on the number of sites?  I'm sure the limit is higher than the average, since some sites use more than others.  Some people get a vps just to have the control.

Also, with VPS, we can track down exactly what is causing the CPU usage. 

I know of one more trick that might help - not sure if you already considered it.  You could add a robots.txt file to tell the search engines to stay away from the forum.  Obviously, it would keep the forum from getting indexed, which I'm sure you want, but you could see if it has any effect on resource usage.  If we can identify the problem, maybe we can figure out how to contain it or reduce it to a reasonable level.  I just think that since LP keeps complaining about Pe_rl usage and there are more search engines than users at any given moment, it might have a significant impact.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 5:09pm

I'm pretty sure, tho not 100% positive it is 2.5% .. cuz they limit the # of accounts to 40 (100% / 40 = 2.5% each). I traded some mail with LP back in the day, when we were first thinking about VPS. 2.5% is what sticks in my mind.

Just in today

Quote:
Hello,

I have checked that your account usage is suitable for shared hosting. Before moving your account back to the your original server we will monitor it for an additional 24hrs to be sure process continue to stay below their usage levels. Please reply to this ticket in 24hrs and we will continue with the move protocols.

Thank you for reducing the usage.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:26pm

Interesting... In one or two days, your CPU usage dropped by at least 70% from over 3% to under 1%.  Did they tell you what your usage was?  Are you just under 1%, or is there a little head room?  Obviously this has little to do with any plugins or particular forum software, since it changes daily even when you aren't making major modifications to the site.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 11:15pm

No. You know what I know. Just got a follow-up that says I'm still below.

It all seems very strange to me.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 11:20pm

I am still getting excessive usage notices.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

I have posted your current stats, which seems to be a little bit high for cpu usage. Please contact our team to check your stats in 24hrs so that we can allow time for any updates.

radified.com

cpu% 3.29
mem% 0.91
sql processs 0.0

Top Process %CPU 59.6 /usr/bin/pearl -- YaBB.pl
Top Process %CPU 34.0 /usr/bin/pearl -- YaBB.pl
Top Process %CPU 0.9 httpd [ghost.radified.com] [/favicon.ico]

If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our support team we will be happy to assist you further.

Let's say, for sake of argument, we are headed for VPS.

Are there any stipulations I wanna make with Lunarpages?

Any configuration adjustments we wanna make?

We would have time to tweak O/S and "server" (being Virtal Private), so we could config *just* how we want, prior to the move (from stabilization server).

Do we want their OS ?? or do we want a different distro?? that you might be more comfortable with?

Any questions I should ask them?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 11:03am

Quote:
Top Process %CPU 0.9 httpd [ghost.radified.com] [/favicon.ico]

Your icon is one of your top processes??  That doesn't seem normal...

Cent 4.2 is perfect.  It is very stable, well documented, and easy to use.  It is rebranded Red Hat with no support contract.  The only thing that might be better is FreeBSD, but they wouldn't be able to put that on a VPS box.  Let's just stick with the standard so that it is easy for them to assist if we have questions.

My only concern is who is going to monitor the server.  I know we discussed it with them when we considered VPS several months ago, but I'd like to be clear on what they monitor and what they don't.  Do they monitor our VPS individually?  Will they check to make sure the website is working, or just the server itself?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 9:13am

Sent them a note saying what you said .. that it seems odd my icon is one of my top processes consuming CPU resources. Their response:

Quote:
Hello,

First of all i advise you to please optimize your YaBB.pl script.

Your current stats is given below as:

cpu% 1.14
mem% 0.85
sql processs 0.0

radified.com

Top Process %CPU 8.0 /usr/bin/peArl -- YaBB.pl
Top Process %CPU 6.0 [YaBB.pl]

Your account usages looks good and after 24 hours we will move your account back to production server. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask us, we will be happy to answer them. Please feel free to contact us for further help. We are committed to making your hosting experiences pleasant and fulfilling.

Thank you for contacting lunar pages support team.

Best Regards,
XXX
JSA II - System Administrator Lunarpages

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #28 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:16pm

Ummm, he kinda missed the point.  You've done a lot to try to optimize it already.  I'm sure if there was more you could do you'd be trying it.

The point was its is really strange for an icon to take up any kind of resources...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #29 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:52pm

I noticed he didn't even mention the icon as a resource issue. I mean, it's just a (tiny) graphic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_%28icon_image_file_format%29

I use the international radiation tri-blade. It's just a static file serve, far as I can tell. (Probably violating some international law by using it ... most sites invert the symbol so it's upside down).

The folks at YaBB continue to work on the v2.2 release. It's obvious they released it b4 it was ready for primetime (wanting to release on the 2-year anniversary of the 2.1 release).

But I installed all patches released up to Jan 21. (.. which is WHY I waited 2 1/2 months after the offical release on Nov 8). And they have been busy-busy patching this release since then.

There are a dozen-or-so more fixes which have been released after Jan 21, which I could implement, but I'm going to wait until the official 2.21 release to grab all these patches.

I scanned a list of recent fixes,and none of them jumped out at me as ones we hadda have NOW:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=y2bugsfixed

Heck, I even FOUND a bug myself, and submitted it (which they fixed):

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1201133778

On second thought, I can't really tell, for sure, WHEN these patches have been released .. without more reserarch .. cuz only the LAST POST date is listed on the board .. and that doesn't really tell me anything.

But I heard they were releasing (up to) 3 patches a day, sometimes. (the max)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print