bootable usb what? what device?

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Bootable USB
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2008 at 6:49pm

You will find this exercise and many others goes a lot smoother if you have a boot floppy to use for your 'boot info'.

There is a little utility from HP that will make a Flash Drive or Flash memory card (camera card) bootable.  But it needs a boot disk like a boot floppy to copy the boot info FROM.

I used the HP program and my Windows ME boot disk to make my Flash Drive bootable, then I just copied the Ghost.exe and Mouse.com files and all my batch files, etc. from my Ghost boot floppy to the Flash Drive.

Since the flash drive is so much larger than a floppy, I was able to add several more utilities to make the Flash Drive even more useful.

Then if you want a boot CD, just use a program like Nero in the "Create Boot Disk" mode to transfer all the files from the flash drive to the CD, making it bootable.

With the HP program to make a Flash Drive bootable and my Ghost 2003 boot floppy, the entire job was a piece of cake. Roll Eyes

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Yousuf Qutubuddin
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2008 at 11:34pm

Thx,
The Shadow

Rgrds,

Yousuf Qutubuddin

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:56am

This is how i made a bootable USB of Ghost.

1. Format the USB with Fat32 file format.

2. Boot the system using Win98 SE bootable CD or floppy disc. The floppy disc image can be obtained from www.bootdisk.com.

3. Once the system boots using floppy/CD use the CD-rom support option from the menu.

4. Assuming D: is you USB drive letter. type the following command:-
sys D:
This will copy the necessary dos files to boot the usb. The alternate option is to use
format D: /s
The s switch will copy the system files USB drive.

5. exit the system and restart the system and boot again into CD/floppy drive. Now start the fdisk and make the USB drive as active partition.

6. Restart the system now into normal mode and you can copy all the files like Ghost executable etc in this USB.

7. To boot from USB you need to enable USB boot option in BIOS.

Regards,
K Singh.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:59am

Using HP utility i observed it reduces the size of pendrive. I may have done something i am not sure.

The method i mentioned above, you can copy all you documents etc also in the USB drive and boot also whenever you want with Ghost. It solves the Dual purpose atleast for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print