Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003, PC-DOS, mark drives for use? (Read 25132 times)
PorkRollNJ
N00b

NJ

Re: Norton Ghost 2003, PC-DOS, mark drives for use?
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 4:56pm

What exactly is this "media pack" that HP is advertising?  Is this a license for one PC or is this the full Solution Suite with one license?
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=2780780&extended=1
or this one?
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=SYMANTEC&ID=624304&ref=GB
If I can buy just one license to use for this VIPs machine that is driving me crazy, I'll get it now out of my own pocket and budget for the volume license for work later.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 7:52pm

Media packs have NO LICENSES AT ALL. They are simply an alternative to electronic distribution of the install set, but they may not be used legally without separately purchasing client licenses to cover every machine you use Ghost with, as per the EULA.

You must (and always have been required to) purchase licenses for every PC you use Ghost with in any way, shape or form; for one-shot Ghosting there are special VAR and manufacturing licenses that let Ghost be used once with a machine (those are super cheap, but you need to purchase them in reasonable volume) - those cover the basic Ghost tools only and are not available for the management console system.

Or, you can purchase the multiple-use licenses which cover the entire toolchain including the central management console, which start just under USD40 per seat but drop rapidly as volume increases (and there are upgrade, educational and corporate discount programs which can mean that keeping on the latest version as new versions come out can bring the price per set down near to that of the single-use license).

IP Logged

PorkRollNJ
N00b

NJ

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 9:40pm

OK, I'm going to profess ignorance here.  Ghost Enterprise 7 was purchased as a suite before I worked here and all I've been doing is buying additional licenses for it.  I'm completely ignorant of Symantec's license policy regarding Ghost Enterprise and so far I haven't had to look into it.

The models I'm used to with Enterprise class software is either buying an all encompassing, very expensive site license or buying a site license and having to buy individual supplemental licenses.  From what I've looked at, Ghost Enterprise simply has a per-machine license.  Is there an initial fee to begin using the software in addition to the individual machine licenses?  If not, is there any way to buy a single license so I can get this thing out the door to my client?  I can always investigate bulk licenses later but right now I'm already overdue with this thing.  I tried looking at Symantec's site and their fee for licenses is reasonable, but they only sell in 5 packs or more and right now I just need one.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 11:20pm

PorkRollNJ wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 9:40pm:
Is there an initial fee to begin using the software in addition to the individual machine licenses?If not, is there any way to buy a single license so I can get this thing out the door to my client?

No other setup fee, it's purely based on client licenses - the server componentry is not licensed separately and is covered by the clients being licensed - and there is a minimum of 5 client licenses per sale see here for more - that's through the Symantec on-line store, there may be partners or resellers may have slightly better prices (I really don't know for sure since I'm not based in the US).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print