Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doing restores without a floppy drive from Ghost 2003. (Read 28184 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Doing restores without a floppy drive from Ghost 2003.
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 4:53am

To add to the knowledge, Ghost 9 did have RESTOREGHOST.EXE but it could only restore. In Ghost 10, RESTOREGHOST.EXE could image as will as restore. I haven't looked at more recent Ghost versions.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:43am

Looking down thru this thread I can get lost in all the technicality.
Being a corn fed boy from Iowa, I like to keep things as simple as possible.
(K.I.S.S.)
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

All the work-arounds for NOT having a floppy drive just aren't worth all the hassle.  
Don't have one......GET ONE!

If you can't mount a Floppy Drive in your current PC, then pick up an external (USB) floppy drive.  They are cheap at about $19 ea. and work exactly like an internal drive.  
And, you can use just the one drive on many different computers.  
Ok enough on that.

Ghost 2003 running on your HD has a routine to make a boot floppy.  That's the way it was written.  ONLY that floppy can be used to make a bootable DVD backup of your hard drive.

Now, from a boot floppy, using any decent burning program like NERO, you can make a bootable CD which looks and acts exactly like the boot floppy.
Using the HP program to make a flash drive bootable, you can also convert that boot floppy to a Flash Drive making it another exact copy of the boot floppy.

This is really simple stuff guys!  No sense getting all hyper-technical over it.   Wink

With any Ghost boot disk, floppy, CD or Flash Drive you can easily make a Ghost backup to any drive that your motherboard can see.  Then just use the same Ghost boot disk to reboot the system, select the Ghost backup image file and restore it.  

Some folks have gotten all wrapped up in loading special drivers for accessing certain drives.  I don't.  I never had the need to.

The last two motherboards I've used for my main system, present every drive on the system to Ghost.  That's an old Asrock mobo and now a MSI mobo.  If it's on the system and running, Ghost will see it.
I've even made Ghost "Partition To Image" backups of my C: drive, to my six-gig flash drive.  (using HIGH Compression, of course)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 11:55am

I've been followed the guide:
http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html
to make a bootable CD.

I've created the .IMA bootable image file with WinImage.

Now I just need to burn it to a CD. The tutorial shows how to do it on two old CD burning programs. I don't have those. I was searching the internet and it seems like it's not very common to burn .IMA files.

Does anyone know what product will do this properly or how to get a hold of CD burning programs mentioned in the above tutorial?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 3:09pm

ericfree1,

You still haven't answered my question from the previous page. You may not have to build a CD.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Quote:
"...As I said, since no-one involved in real Ghost knww this was happening it's no surprise I'm wrong about the exact version numbers..."

Retail boxed copies of Norton Ghost 9.0 had a truncated version of RESTOREGHOST.EXE (in reality GHOST32.EXE) that could perform a Norton Ghost Restore from *.gho/*ghs files, but not the Norton Ghost Backup capability to create such files.  I have onhand probably near a dozen of "virgin" Ghost 10.0/early Save & Restore variants - most procured for a pittance on eBay of late - after giving away several copies to family and friends to keep stashed nearby so as to "keep honest" while running Reatogo-X-PE CDs with Ghost 8.2 onboard.

Nobody in my circle - and I mean NOBODY - favors "hot-imaging" with the result that NONE of these installation CDs have ever suffered a breach of their respective paper sleeves for the GHOST32.EXE and GHOSTEXP.EXE files were instead derived from the Recovery Disk included with the 2006 edition of Norton SystemWorks Premier only to be incorporated into ISOs of assorted WIN PE CDs Shocked

El Pescador

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 5:28pm

OK Brian,

Yes, I found ghost.exe on the CD. It's in D:\SUPPORT\GHOST

However, when I boot from that CD, all that loads with the Norton Systemworks is "Norton AntiVirus: Emergency Virus Repair". I cannot run ghost from it. It also cannot see any other drive except this "RAM drive" it loads. (I'm just guessing it's a RAM drive.)

Is there some other way to access the contents of the CD from booting from the Norton Systemworks CD?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:18pm

ericfree1 wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 5:28pm:
Yes, I found ghost.exe on the CD. It's in D:\SUPPORT\GHOST

ericfree1,

Your problem is solved.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/0/29da2b96a3e397c088256d420069593...

Finding what your optical drive letter is in DOS could be a challenge.

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:09pm

Brain,

I'm afraid my problem isn't solved.
It says I must have a floppy drive. I don't.

Wow -- this has been a frustrating journey. Lots of great guys like you giving real good advice -- lots of post to read.

But, I believe no one has the solution to:
A bootable CD that has USB drivers on it. How hard can that be?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:22pm

ericfree1 wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:09pm:
It says I must have a floppy drive. I don't.

ericfree1,

Where do you see this message? Ghost 2003 will run from your CD. Definitely.

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Norton SystemWorks CD
To use this method, your computer must support starting from a boot or system floppy disk. If your computer BIOS is not configured to start from a floppy disk, consult the computer manufacturer's documentation for configuration instructions. If you use a Windows 98 Startup Disk, a Ghost Standard Boot Disk, or any other boot floppy disk, be sure that it is capable of loading CD/DVD drivers to access the CD-ROM from DOS.

I even tried it. It didn't work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:17pm

ericfree1,

Damn. I missed that.

Do you have a bootable USB flash drive? You could put ghost.exe on the flash drive.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print