Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Application error 437: Cannot read from file on DVD+R DL (Read 17360 times)
Ben T.
N00b

I Love Radified!

Application error 437: Cannot read from file on DVD+R DL
Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:42pm

I've been using this setup in production successfully for some time: a bootable Windows PE 2.0 DVD that automatically runs Ghost 11.0.1 to silently restore an image.

Our image has grown beyond the capacity of a standard 4.7GB DVD so I am testing a dual layer DVD+R.  It boots to WinPE just fine but when Ghost runs I get an application error 437 - cannot read from file from Ghost.  I can browse the DVD and I see the files.  Apparently Ghost cannot read them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and solved it?  Any thoughts on why Ghost cannot read the image file?  Is a dual layer DVD in a different format from a standard DVD?

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Re: Application error 437: Cannot read from file on DVD+R DL
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:45pm

Well i read it somewhere, where Nigel mentioned to keep the image size less than 1 or 2GB when using in DVD, some ISO restriction. Its mentioned in one of the posts also.. cant find the link right now.

My suggestion would be to split the image and then try the restore. If it fails again then something else to worry about.

IP Logged

Alex-Ruiz
Dude

I Love Radified!

EdoMex, MEXICO / SE Mich, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:41pm

Ghost 2003 cannot write image span files larger than 2GB, so I don't think that is the problem, as those fit fine in ISO9660 compilations.

How long does the DVD read before you get the 437 error?
I am 95% sure the problem is the bun quality, specially at the layer break. If you are using DL media other than verbatim, you are asking for trouble. Even with verbatim media, it really depends on your burner. Getting a successful dual layer write is much trickier than a single layer.

What software are you using to burn the DVD?
What is your burner? What firmware?
What media are you using?

If you have Nero AND a burner capable of scanning disk quality, try to perform a disc quality scan with Nero CD/DVD (renamed to nero discspeed in newer versions)
Burners capable of scanning are Lite-On and the older Benqs. Samsung does a decent job scanning. Pioneer, LG, Sony, NEC/Optiarc might scan, but results are not reliable.

As I said, I am almost sure the problem is the burn quality, not ghost.
The error 437 comes when ghost cannot physically read the data.

Alex

IP Logged

Alex-Ruiz
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:09pm

Ben T. wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:42pm:
I've been using this setup in production successfully for some time: a bootable Windows PE 2.0 DVD that automatically runs Ghost 11.0.1 to silently restore an image.

Our image has grown beyond the capacity of a standard 4.7GB DVD so I am testing a dual layer DVD+R.  It boots to WinPE just fine but when Ghost runs I get an application error 437 - cannot read from file from Ghost.  I can browse the DVD and I see the files.  Apparently Ghost cannot read them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and solved it?  Any thoughts on why Ghost cannot read the image file?  Is a dual layer DVD in a different format from a standard DVD?

Would you mind sharing how you did your WinPE silent restoration DVD with Ghost? I want to do something similar.

Thanks

Alex

IP Logged

Ben T.
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:29am

K Singh wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 1:45pm:
Well i read it somewhere, where Nigel mentioned to keep the image size less than 1 or 2GB when using in DVD, some ISO restriction. Its mentioned in one of the posts also.. cant find the link right now.

My suggestion would be to split the image and then try the restore. If it fails again then something else to worry about.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It does sound valid however another person created this image and there are political concerns with tampering with his image.  I know it sounds ridiculous.  However I will try it as a test.

IP Logged

Ben T.
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:37am

Alex-Ruiz wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 2:41pm:
Ghost 2003 cannot write image span files larger than 2GB, so I don't think that is the problem, as those fit fine in ISO9660 compilations.

How long does the DVD read before you get the 437 error?
I am 95% sure the problem is the bun quality, specially at the layer break. If you are using DL media other than verbatim, you are asking for trouble. Even with verbatim media, it really depends on your burner. Getting a successful dual layer write is much trickier than a single layer.

What software are you using to burn the DVD?
What is your burner? What firmware?
What media are you using?

If you have Nero AND a burner capable of scanning disk quality, try to perform a disc quality scan with Nero CD/DVD (renamed to nero discspeed in newer versions)
Burners capable of scanning are Lite-On and the older Benqs. Samsung does a decent job scanning. Pioneer, LG, Sony, NEC/Optiarc might scan, but results are not reliable.

As I said, I am almost sure the problem is the burn quality, not ghost.
The error 437 comes when ghost cannot physically read the data.

Alex

I get the 437 error immediately.  Ghost runs obviously but the restore process never even starts.  I'm using Memorex media (my only choice at Officemax).  My burner is a Sony DRX-830UL-T.  Its firmware version is SS23.  The burning software I'm using is Imgburn v. 2.3.2.0.  (I had been using CD Burner XP but for some reason it would not burn ISO files created with Microsoft's oscdimg utility.)

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:26am

As interesting as I might find this thread, I must admit I'm somewhat lost.

With all the problems that have been reported with DL disks and the greater costs involved, I'd personally NOT be going in that direction for a Ghost Backup.  Ghost can span multiple DVD's very nicely.
I've had to do that when ghosting a customers HD.

Sadly, I've found that all brands of DVD's are not created equal.
I've been having troubles with SONY DVD's on my DVD recorder, where HP branded DVD's (and a few other brands) seem to work flawlessly.

I regularly back up my entire C: drive with Ghost, to a single DVD, using Ghosts' HIGH compression mode.
With about ten gigs of stuff on my C: drive, normally, I could never get a backup on a single DVD, even using HIGH compression, without first doing some heavy-duty drive cleaning.

But for those who obviously can't do what I do, I'd have to say, if your C: drive is getting too fat, then it's time to put it on a diet.  Get rid of the fat, the junk and the stuff that's become out of date and redundant.

Contrary to popular belief, Hard Drive maintenance isn't a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor.  It's something that must be done on an almost daily schedule. (at least weekly....and not Weakly !) Wink Grin Grin

Using my XPCleanup batch file in my Startup folder I get rid of all the temp files, etc., every time I reboot my PC.  So the junk files never get a chance to build up on my HD.    Oh well, to each his own, I guess.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Ben T.
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:37am

Alex-Ruiz wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:09pm:
Would you mind sharing how you did your WinPE silent restoration DVD with Ghost? I want to do something similar.

Thanks

Alex

Sure no problem.  Here is Microsoft's walkthrough on how to create a basic WinPE 2.0 boot disc.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709665.aspx

Customizations I made:

The script c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows\System32\Startnet.cmd runs at every boot.  If you are familiar with DOS, it is basically like autoexec.bat.  Any command you want to run at boot goes here, such as a script to run Ghost.  Here is my Ghost command line.  The %1 is a variable equal to the optical drive letter (see second gotcha below) and the ImageFileName variable is in my script to make it easier for my coworkers to build the WinPE DVD.  Basically it is probably not important for you, so just fill in your image name there.

ghost32.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%1:\zGhost\%ImageFileName%,dst=1 -sure -fx -quiet -noOsLayout

First gotcha: there seems to be a quirk with the way folders load into memory.  Whatever folder contains the Ghost image must load last or WinPE will fail to boot.  Therefore I named my folder "zGhost."

Second gotcha (at least for me): in our environment there are different system configurations that cause the letter of the optical drive to vary, such as the hard drive having different numbers of partitions.  I used this script to detect the optical drive letter.

' ***************************************************************
' * Script to find the CDROM Drive in Windows PE
' * and then launch a process from it
' * Paul Davey                                                
' ***************************************************************

Set FileSystemObject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 'Create a filesystem object
Set Drives = FileSystemObject.Drives 'Create a drives collection
Set wshShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WSCript.shell")

' Create an array of letters that are CDROM Drives & USB flash drives
Dim CDDrvLetter, USBDrvLetter ' Holder of the CDROM drive or USB drive that contains the GHOST files.

For Each DiskDrive in Drives
     If DiskDrive.DriveType = "1" Then 'This is a USB flash drive
           USBDrvLetter = DiskDrive.DriveLetter
     ElseIf DiskDrive.DriveType = "4" Then ' This drive is a CDROM Drive
           If DiskDrive.DriveLetter <> "X" Then ' X Is the CDROM OS Disk, we dont want this one.
                 CDDrvLetter = DiskDrive.DriveLetter
           End If
     End If
Next

' Run the program from CD or USB flash drive
If FileSystemObject.FileExists(CDDrvLetter & ":\zGhost\Ghost.cmd") Then
     wshshell.run CDDrvLetter & ":\zGhost\Ghost.cmd " & CDDrvLetter, 1, True
ElseIf FileSystemObject.FileExists(USBDrvLetter & ":\zGhost\Ghost.cmd") Then
     wshshell.run USBDrvLetter & ":\zGhost\Ghost.cmd " & USBDrvLetter, 1, True
Else
     Wscript.Echo "An Error Occurred: Cannot locate Ghost.cmd"
End If

' Clean up after ourselves
Set Drives = nothing
Set FileSystemObject = nothing
set wshshell = nothing

Actually this script detects the optical drive and also the USB drive letters because I sometimes use a USB flash drive.  Also note that for scripts to run you must install the WinPE-Scripting-Package and WinPE-WMI-Packages packages as described in the walkthrough.

Another customization: I do not want the “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” prompt at boot.  I want it to boot to the DVD regardless of whether an operating system is present or not.  To accomplish this delete c:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\bootfix.bin

I hope this helps!

IP Logged

Ben T.
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:53am

TheShadow wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:26am:
As interesting as I might find this thread, I must admit I'm somewhat lost.

With all the problems that have been reported with DL disks and the greater costs involved, I'd personally NOT be going in that direction for a Ghost Backup.  Ghost can span multiple DVD's very nicely.
I've had to do that when ghosting a customers HD.

Sadly, I've found that all brands of DVD's are not created equal.
I've been having troubles with SONY DVD's on my DVD recorder, where HP branded DVD's (and a few other brands) seem to work flawlessly.

I regularly back up my entire C: drive with Ghost, to a single DVD, using Ghosts' HIGH compression mode.
With about ten gigs of stuff on my C: drive, normally, I could never get a backup on a single DVD, even using HIGH compression, without first doing some heavy-duty drive cleaning.

But for those who obviously can't do what I do, I'd have to say, if your C: drive is getting too fat, then it's time to put it on a diet.  Get rid of the fat, the junk and the stuff that's become out of date and redundant.

Contrary to popular belief, Hard Drive maintenance isn't a once-in-a-lifetime endeavor.  It's something that must be done on an almost daily schedule. (at least weekly....and not Weakly !) Wink Grin Grin

Using my XPCleanup batch file in my Startup folder I get rid of all the temp files, etc., every time I reboot my PC.  So the junk files never get a chance to build up on my HD.    Oh well, to each his own, I guess.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

Well that Shadow knows, as they say.   Smiley

I agree with everything you said but there is a method to all this madness.  I'm not just backing up my own drive.  If I was then life would be much easier.

The situation is technicians need the ability to load the Ghost image on remote computers.  The network group has restricted the amount of data that may travel over the WAN as a matter of policy and even if they didn't, Ghosting over the network would take hours.  Therefore the techs need something physical they can carry in their toolkit.  We chose DVD's because they are cheap, and easy to distribute.  Also they are static.  USB drives are more expensive, can be lost, and can get a virus.

Another requirement is that it needs to be easy to load.  Let's just say where some projects are concerned using the word "technician" is being generous.  My scripts run Ghost automatically so the tech just has to wait.

Also keep in mind that these requirements are coming down from above, so you can tell where I sit on the totem pole.   Wink

Until recently the image consisted of a standard Windows installation with video player software and a small video.  This fit well onto a standard DVD and we have been using this method successfully for months now.  Unfortunately the requirements just changed.  Now about 4GB of videos must be included in the image.  That is why I'm attempting to use DL DVD discs.

IP Logged

Alex-Ruiz
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 12:02pm

Hi Ben.
Thanks for the tutorial on the winPE usage

For the DVD+R DL issue, other than what I already suggested (scan the disc using Nero discspeed or DVDInfropro) I don't know what could be the issue.

Your burner is based on the Samsung SH-S182D, which is one of the best 18x drives. I have that drive.

Imgbun is great at burning DL media. Get 2.4.2.0

The media, Memorex is probably made by Ritek, and Ritek isn;t exactly gerat stuff for DL.

Could you start imgburn, insert one of these dics blank into your burner, select the burner as if you were to burn ther. ImgBurn will report some info on the media (mediacode and speeds supported)
I want to see the media code (Ritek D01 is my guess)

OfficeMax sells verbatim as far as I know.... use verbatim instead.

IP Logged

Tuan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 11:33am

Hello all,

Would someone show me how to create static cdrom drive letter (R:)(Winpe).  I want to create automated bootable dvd restore for remote site but in my enviroment the cdrom drive letters are vary every time I booted from Winpe. I have been searching in google but no luck. I hope someone can help me out.  I try to post my question in Symantec forums but I got no luck. I would like the cdrom driver letter is static like this.  I know how to do in Dos but in windows Pe I do not know how. Since we change our dvd drive to SATA, I have to use Winpe to restore image.  thank you so much
ghost32.exe -clone,mode=Restore,src=R:\RSPE.GHO,dst=1 -sure -rb

Tuan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print