Send Topic Print
USB Support Question (Read 21393 times)
eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

USB Support Question
Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:36am

Hello Everyone:

I created a bootable Ghost 2003 CD and included USB Support by adding di1000dd.sys and usbaspi.sys where required.  The CD boots and shows one external USB drive.  However, I have an additional external USB drive and two flash drives which are not shown.  Any ideas why?  Ideally I would like to see the other external drive, the flash drives are not important.  Also, after I imaged a drive the results are 32 individual .GHS files.  Is that the way 2003 works?  It has been so long since I used it I don't remember.
Thanks to all who respond.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: USB Support Question
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 9:35am

@
eightd2

To be honest--I've have not specifically tried to have multiple external USB HDDs hooked up and seen at the same time--I will have to do some experimenting--but, I can not do that for a couple days right now....

But, what I can say is that I have at least one system where I have a USB card reader, and when I boot with a DOS Ghost boot disc with USB mass storage device drivers, and I have a memory card in the card reader--the USB drivers mount and assign a drive letter (memory card has to be formatted with FAT32 or FAT16) to the memory card as well as an attached single USB HDD, and I can access both in DOS--so that does work--but, everything has to be *compatible*!  If anything in the system is not compatible--the driver will show an error to the effect that *no device was found*.  So, if the USB device (card reader or USB HDD), the size of the mass storage device (I have been unable to mount anything larger than 180 GB using the *di1000dd.sys*), and the USB controller all have to be compatible with the DOS USB drivers--if not then there will be a *failure* of some sort.

Do each of your USB HDDs work if plugged in separately?  Do they work only from a specific USB port (i.e. where you plug the USB cord into the system), or can you use different ports?

If you hit the *F8* key just as the system begins to load the DOS OS, you will be presented with a boot menu screen that gives you, as one option, the ability to load the DOS boot files (config.sys and autoexec.bat) in a step-by-step fashion.  You have to say *Y* (yes) to load each line--so you can see what's happening with each line and it gives you a chance to see the messages reported by each program as it is loaded.  When you load *di1000dd.sys*--you will see what was found and what action(s) where taken.

Quote:
after I imaged a drive the results are 32 individual .GHS files

That's *normal* behavior for Ghost 2003.  But, there should be one *.gho* file as well!  Ghost 2003 has a DOS file size limit of approx. 2 GB per file--so for larger Ghost images, you will have as many 2 GB *segments* as it takes for the total image size.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 2:07pm

NightOwl -

Thank you once again for the detailed explanation.  I will try the F8 and see if I encounter any errors.  I will advise.  As to the many small indivudual files, that is good news.  I also have the one .gho file, so it appears as though I am in fairly good shape.

Thank you for your help.

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 2:44am

NightOwl or Anyone Else who has an Idea -

I found that USBASPI had an invalid parameter error and ASPI Manager indicated "not installed."  With that in mind I found that I installed the wrong USBAPI and installed the correct one.  Burned a new disc and it appeared to find both external USB harddrives and one flashdrive.  As it was looking for the last flashdrive it failed with a divide overflow error.  I am assuming there are too many external drives to locate.  Is there any way to change one of the drive parameters to allow for all of my drives?  I know I am close to a fix, just need some direction.  Just so you are aware, it was a slow (a few minute) process to identify the drives, but it certainly was working until the divide overflow.   Cry

Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 10:09am

@
eightd2

eightd2 wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 2:44am:
I found that USBASPI had an invalid parameter error and ASPI Manager indicated "not installed."With that in mind I found that I installed the wrong USBAPI

What was the *wrong* USBAPI program/version number?  What was the *correct one*?

it appeared to find both external USB harddrives and one flashdrive.As it was looking for the last flashdrive it failed with a divide overflow error. 

It's unclear--it found both external USB HDDs--did they get assigned drive letters, or did the *divide overflow* occur before drive letters were assigned?

And, did you have two memory sticks in one card reader, and did it find one, but *choked* on the second one?  Or, did you mean it found the two HDDs, and then *choked* when it attempted to mount the single memory stick in the card reader?

Just so you are aware, it was a slow (a few minute) process to identify the drives, but it certainly was working until the divide overflow.

I've had that happen too, where the loading process takes a long time--the program must be going through some sort of *probing* process where it's attempting to gain access to a mass storage device that it knows is there, but it does not immediately *recognize* how to access it.  I have to think it attempts various methods of access with some sort of *wait period* in between attempts.  And, eventually it figures out how to access, or gives an error message....or, I've had it just set there forever and never continue--just a flashing cursor and nothing ever happens--system is froze!

You might try disconnecting the flash memory card reader to see if you can successfully mount and have DOS drive letters assigned to the two USB HDDs--it might be that the card reader is not *compatible* in your particular setup and the specific *USBASPI* program.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:40pm

Nightowl -
I read an article which indicated the USBASPI.SYS should be extracted from KXLRW40A.exe.  My orginal attempt did not use that file.  The sys. file I am currently using is dated 11/26/02 and does not generate the errors first reported.

It found two external HDDs and one flash drive, but did not assign any letters to them as it was still "looking for the last flash drive.  Both flash drives are plugged into the monitor (Dell) and share one USB port.

Your assessment that the program is going through a "probing" process is an excellent description of what it appears to be doing.

I will disconnect both flash drives and see if the CD can overcome the divide overflow error.  I will advise.  Any other recommendations based on what info I have provided.

Thanks once again.

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 10:32pm

Nightowl -

Just an update --- removing all flash and external USB HDD result in the same divide overflow error.

Any thoughts???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 11:31pm

@
eightd2

eightd2 wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 10:32pm:
Just an update --- removing all flash and external USB HDD result in the same divide overflow error.

Is this problem something new? 

Were you able to mount at least one of your USB HDDs previously? 

Was the only change made was the USBASPI.SYS used?

If you use the F8 option to do the step-by-step loading of the config.sys file, what is the name of the software maker for the USBASPI.SYS and what's the version number?

I'm trying to remember, but I think all my *divide overflow* errors have occurred when *di1000dd.sys* attempts to load--can you confirm when that error occurs?

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:53am

Night Owl -

I attached a photo of the issue (when the crash occurs).  It is a new issue as it is my first attempt to get USB support.  As you can see it recognizes three of four external drives (2 HDD and one flash).  Then DI1000dd.sys loads and does an id on the drive then crashes.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 10:43am

@
eightd2

Okay--so it's your *di1000dd.sys* that's loading and then giving you the *divide overflow* error.  You may have missed this little aside I mentioned way back in my first response:

NightOwl wrote on Dec 19th, 2011 at 9:35am:
So, if the USB device (card reader or USB HDD), the size of the mass storage device (I have been unable to mount anything larger than 180 GB using the *di1000dd.sys*), and the USB controller all have to be compatible with the DOS USB drivers--if not then there will be a *failure* of some sort.

What sizes are your external USB HDDs?

IP Logged

eightd2
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:03am

NightOwl -

I did miss it -- Both HDD's are 500 gb each.  Anything else I can try that you have not had a chance to do?

Thanks. Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 9:13am

@
eightd2

eightd2 wrote on Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:03am:
Anything else I can try that you have not had a chance to do?

Maybe!  I have a series of *experiments* that I need to do--it was regarding another thread from another forum member.  I just have not found enough free time to do the deeds  Embarrassed !

It involves multiple re-formatting of external HDDs to different sizes, trial use of a *di1000dd.sys* replacement software, re-booting multiple times, and if all that *fails*, possibly trying an totally different approach to using an external USB HDD for Ghost backups.

I've been frantically trying to complete some outdoor projects--here in the Northwest, Puget Sound region we usually have major wind/rain storms by this time of year--but, it has been quite dry and calm--driest December since records have been kept, actually--so I have not been *trapped* indoors--yet!

But, I'm almost at the end of my *chore* list--and this project has been on the back burner long enough.

So, stay tuned--I'll be back with results hopefully within the week!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print